Wish Sonic Maximizer Cohesion

I have an Aphex 204 in my rack that has been sitting there dormant for a good 10 yrs. Similar to the BBE I believe and just hypes up certain frequencies. I just like it cuz it says 'big bottom';)

BBE sounds great when you're playing by yourself, not so good in a mix, just as some tones that sound awesome in a mix sound like crap when playing alone.

Since Petrucci likes that "scooped" EQ, I was glad to read a recent post here (sorry, I can't recall who) in which he simply used the JP preset, and the sound guy said it was the best tone he'd ever mixed, or something to that effect.
It's been something I've been wondering about, even though I'm not in a band, kind of getting the itch to see how some of the factory presets, along with ones that I've tweaked to taste, sound with a band. (And wondering if the tweaks I made end up giving me that same trouble I've had in the past, namely, getting a tone that sounds great, alone, yet doesn't cut thru.) Someday...

I believe John's rhythm tone is more scooped than his lead tone. I seem to recall going
through the parameters and settings on the Petrucci Rig preset that his lead tone has
more mids dialed in, which makes sense. :)

Last edited:
I have an Aphex 204 in my rack that has been sitting there dormant for a good 10 yrs. Similar to the BBE I believe and just hypes up certain frequencies. I just like it cuz it says 'big bottom';)

Aural Exciter, right? I tried those in pedal form. I believe they even made one for acoustic guitar.

This interview from a couple of days ago is the first time I have ever heard anyone ever
state how "bad" things got for bass players in the late 80's and what it has meant for music
ever since. Jeff and George say it was a Cliff Bernstein/Management thing. Dokken shared
that same management that Metallica had at the time.

Check this out.

BBE sounds great when you're playing by yourself, not so good in a mix, just as some tones that sound awesome in a mix sound like crap when playing alone.
And I want it to play at home. But nobody understood this situation, Fm3 is only for live!,my god!. I'm boried with this topic😪

Back
Top Bottom