Songs that you can play all the notes, but you are never satisfied when recording them

Piing

Axe-Master
Gary Moore 'The Loner'. I've been playing it for several decades, and it has been on my DAW since Cakewalk was a MS-DOS MIDI sequencer triggering a multitrack tape with a SMPTE sync track. But yet every time I listen to my recordings there is some area that needs an extra muscle. Perhaps it has been covered so many times that there is no room for weakness. There is always lack of an added value to consider it a finished work.

Joe Satriani's "Crying" is also on that not-good-enough list. One little bending slightly out of tune or tempo totally ruins the final product.

But I keep playing them, because they are fun to play.

What's on your 'perpetual dissatisfaction' list?

Last edited:
"I'm alright" by Neil Zaza. Sounds nice when I play it (and I think to play all the notes).... but when I record it there's something missing... maybe Neil attitude 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 )

"I'm alright" by Neil Zaza. Sounds nice when I play it (and I think to play all the notes).... but when I record it there's something missing... maybe Neil attitude 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 )
I've never heard of Neil Zaza. Very melodic. Thank you for the introduction, I am following him now.

I've just found his version of Purple Rain. It is great. That is another instrumental I like to play, but after listening versions by Jack Thamarat or Vinai T I find little purpose of pressing the Save button after recording my sessions 😅

Neil is a wonderful player and a very nice musician: always ready to talk about gear (he uses FAS unit too) and music.

I have only tried recording these to track my progress:

Eruption - can play all/most of the notes, but it will never be satisfactory for me because it's one of the holy grails of guitar pieces.

Satch Boogie - ditto.

Cliffs of Dover - ditto.

Every song is like this for me as I'm still developing in the basics. I can learn the notes ok, but getting up to speed and matching the tempo within the phrasing is still a struggle. I try not to get discouraged and just enjoy what I've achieved while practicing with specific intent. + doesn't help that I'm a tough self critic since I've always had (even before taking up an instrument), an accute ear for something that's even a bit off.

Hey there

This may be a duhhhh post, but if your playing it like the origional note by note, try to spice it with your own sauce. I just gave up that it didnt sound like the recording a looooong time ago , It just put me down to do it over and over and over to get it right what never seems to be. Wrong note, dull sound, background noise from the strings... aaahrgg.

My 2 cents: I am playing the godfather theme every night and try all diffrent kind of ways to play it and recording it.

Brucia La Terra- Subtitulada-El Padrino-The Godfather

I use the backingtrack from YT Ibrahim Birdal. I tried to play it like him... well, that didnt work LOL. I try to do better, more emotion, more whatever. But this was a good inspiration starting point for me.

Cheers 🍻

Joe Satriani's "Crying" is also on that not-good-enough list. One little bending slightly out of tune or tempo totally ruins the final product.
That song is deceptively hard. Pulling off those bends and vibrato takes years of shedding.

Back
Top Bottom