Song/set mode requests

rpray

- The song names are too short. Can we have 16 character name. You've got a 20 character screen, you should be able to figure out a way to add and edit 16 character names.

- Have an option to show the song name instead of the first preset. When I'm switching through songs I would really like some way to see the name of the song I'm on. That way I don't have to remember what song #35 is during a performance. If nothing else, you could initially show the song name for a couple of seconds and then show the current preset and/or some way to briefly display the song name on demand. Maybe a long press on the up or down button could display the name of the current song.

- If you can't do that maybe you could have the option to send the song name in a sysex on one or more of the 16 midi channels when a song is changed. Then I could make my own song monitor app or device to display what I need to see about the song, including names that are as long as I want them to be. I know...now I'm just being crazy.

+1M, would love longer song names... 7 characters is way too short!

Set your bankstyle=None it will show the song name when you scroll through them

Cheers

Yes, I did that and it works OK except it doesn't auto load the preset for me. I can live with that. It's just a pain to try and fit unique song names into 7 characters. For example, our band does "Money for Nothin" and "Money" so I have to call "Money for Nothin" something like "MoneyFo" or "MonyFor" or "MonyNtn".

It just seems like with only 100 songs available the extra memory to add one more byte per song shouldn't be a show stopper. If it is, add more memory. I would gladly pay a little extra for the memory to hold longer song names. I know they have other issues like how do we let people edit a longer name, how do we display it, etc., but this can all be done. You just have to want it bad enough.

Anyway, it works, I'm just whining. But, this is a wish list. :)

I program individual presets for each song, so the full title shows (as well as what kind of IR I have in it). Somewhat easy fix.

+1 for the second point. I don't need it, because all my songs are a separate preset, but it just makes sense, especially your idea of showing the song name for a couple of seconds (one second would be enough I think)

I've done that before, too, but I have a lot of songs that use the same preset and I want to reuse the the presets so as not to waste preset slots and so if I need to tweak the preset I don't have to do it in 20 different places. I may have to go back to doing it this way because I think this short name thing is going to drive me nuts.

I spent a couple of hours or so last night setting up the utilities to upload, download, and edit my MFC101 sysex file and trying to work up presets for our song list. It's really frustrating to have to come up with those really short "code names" for my songs. You have to pick something that when you see it you will know exactly what song it is so you don't end up playing word scramble during a performance. "Just a second guys...I've almost got it. It's right on the tip of my tongue. Anybody know what TknCrBs means?". Maybe I could make it part of the performance and ask the audience to help me unscramble my song names. We could give away prizes. :)

I've got a gig on Monday and I'm going to give it a try with the short names. If it's too painful I may have to go back to naming presets by song title.

Thanks

Hi rpray;

MRC-Edit will help with setting that up. On the SONGS page of MFC-Edit where you set up your songs hover the mouse over the preset number and a tooltip will appear showing the Axe-FX name for that preset. Also, from the File menu you can "Show Axe-FX Preset List" and you'll have a detached list on the screen showing. It won't take you all the way there but it will assist when setting up the songs and sets.

I use my Axe-FX and MFC-101 in exactly the same manner as you do and that is the main reason MFC-Edit exists.

{ Apologies to forum members: I am unfortunately also the author of MFC-Edit so it will come across as a plug. But it will help rpray as it helped me. }

Back
Top Bottom