SON OF A B@#$H!! (Picture Attached)

Muzick

Experienced
Was at a gig. Damn drunk ass crowd member HAD to check out the Axe II without my permission. His dumb ass fell into my guitar, which consequently slammed into the value knob of my Axe II, and knocked it clear off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F##K!!!!!!!!!!
Broken_Value_Knob.jpg
I found the knob. Any suggestions on how to reattach this sucker? (as I've heard plain super glue melts plastic?)

Thanks guys

Whoa! Sorry that happened, that is.. grrr...

When I was doing FOH, my "must rack" of stuff had a locking grill over the face. I got the idea from playing various clubs that would have their main rig protected with them; primarily, it was to keep anyone (including visiting FOH) from adjusting their house power amp levels, limiters, etc. It has been so long, but I imagine there has to be someone making and selling that type of thing. Grill door, so equipment can breath, but protects, easy to open to access.. and a lock to keep idiots out.

Googling now. Thanks Nikki.

And here I thought a rack case would do the job lol. Lessons learned. At least the brain wasn't damaged or else my band mates would have had to hold me back lol.

Googling now. Thanks Nikki.

And here I thought a rack case would do the job lol. Lessons learned. At least the brain wasn't damaged or else my band mates would have had to hold me back lol.
Hehehe! I just did the same.. my initial search kicked back a bunch of truck parts (rack locking door grill.. duh). Searching for "pro audio vented security rack door" provided better results, including an expensive one from Middle Atlantic. Someone here likely has a better idea, but shy of that, a call to someone like.. maybe Rob at Tone Merchants? Tell him what you are looking for, and you could provide the Middle Atlantic one as an example. Those guys do pro racks, so they HAVE to have a solution that may just be affordable for us mortals.

Hehehe! I just did the same.. my initial search kicked back a bunch of truck parts (rack locking door grill.. duh). Searching for "pro audio vented security rack door" provided better results, including an expensive one from Middle Atlantic. Someone here likely has a better idea, but shy of that, a call to someone like.. maybe Rob at Tone Merchants? Tell him what you are looking for, and you could provide the Middle Atlantic one as an example. Those guys do pro racks, so they HAVE to have a solution that may just be affordable for us mortals.

Brilliant! I'll see what Rob has to say.

Now to find my demi-god wallet.... :D

aww man that SUCKS! i hate when people look at the gear on stage and then get on the stage or whatever... pisses me off! sometimes i take my break sitting on stage just for that reason. maybe next time put the front rack cover on between sets?

I feel for you man I really do! :S

Having had many a bad experience myself, things like these are reasons why I actually do NOT take the front of the rack off anymore - I make all my connections at the back. The axe levels are set and optimized for FoH because I am familiar with most FoH equipment and I know which mixers respond best to what level inputs, and my other external gear connected makes any other adjustments a breeze. All my patches are tweaked at gig ready volumes and with several FRFR setups, and with the exception of making some minor global eq tweaks (I use an external eq unit sometimes btw), the front of the rack is closed up tight, AND put in such a way as to discourage anyone from poking around.

Weird I know, Paul does this as well. Not for the faint of heart either, but a cheap and effective solution if you know your way around equipment and have your patches tweaked well already.

Ask all guitarists to turn in their legs when they get to your gig. They will recive them when they leave. That way you will have time to get on stage, before the crawling guitarhero gets up there :)

Hands behind the back please... You!!! yes YOU with the big nose... Back up.... lol Sucks man! I feel for you.

It does not look like you have much of a chance to glue the shaft..

Replacing the Encoder would likely require a trip to the factory....

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) will NOT melt plastic but MAY cause some fogging on nearby surfaces (the mist of the glue hardens due to humidity and forms some white dust like material)... I would try the glue approach... Use a tooth pick on the center of the broken shaft. You will only need perhaps a 1/4 drop on the end of the toothpick... too much and the glue will lock the shaft to the surrounding cylinder housing.... You will need to get the old shaft out of the knob to try this.. that may be the most difficult..

One BAD option on getting the shaft out of the knob would be to drill a very small hole in the front of the knob. Stop when you feel the drill go into the open space. Push the shaft out (large paper clip)... You can get a new knob at some point or fill the hole..

Test the fit of the broken shaft and encoder innards prior to glue... there should be a tight and straight fit. I'd guess you can actually rotate the encoder with the shaft if there is a good fit.. then do the glue operation..

You can use the gel type as it will give you some better location control, but Use Very Little.. You can breath on the joint after you have pushed the shaft into the encoder, the humidity will accelerate the glue setup... I would NOT reccomend you use any 'accelerator' product, that may stain the AXFXII front panel.

Did I mention, use VERY little glue (just enough to 'paint' one side of the broken shaft...thin film).

One guess is that the surfaces (encoder and shaft) of the 'crack' may not be neat at the mate (due to the plastic warping and staying somewhat bent)... Even with a perfect fit of the glue joint, the shaft may be 'bent' somewhat... the knob is quite close to the front panel so there is not much room for error...

Sorry for the damage... at least you are out playing to crowds..

Last edited:
@Dpeterson LMAO :) The best advice I have had in a LOOONG time.

@ BiM: IF you are gonna glue it back together; Take out the rest of the knob and glue the 2 pieces together. If you glue with the knob attached to the AXE risk is that you glue somthing that shouldnt have been glued.

Best wishes.

AAEN

man that sucks... in the future, turn the rack sideways away from the crowd and put a gorilla 1x6 amp up there witha 57 on it... people will shit. :)

HAHAHAHAHA I laughed for about 5mins straight! :D

I WILL try that tho! :p *evil grin*

Back
Top Bottom