Sometimes, the speaker really does do it

Rick

Axe-Master
I know this is an Axe Fx forum, and as a proud XL+ and AX8 owner and gigging musician, I enjoy them a lot. But I still have, play, and enjoy my regular tube amps too. Every now and then I have one of those aha moments on them, the kind that oddly serves to reaffirm the experience I have on my Fractal gear.

I have a Mesa Road King II combo that I have always liked (used to have a RKII head, which I sold when I started gigging the FAS gear), and I have been working on tones with it lately. I decided to remove the speakers, the 90 watt Mesa Celestion ones it came with, which are solid but don't seem to lend much character to the amp, and put in some others to see what would happen. Over the years I have acquired a lot of raw speakers, and still buy good ones on occasion... perhaps a holdover from my amp addiction days. Well, long story short, I recently picked up a pair of Altec 417-8H 12s and decided to pop them in there for a test. Lo and behold, they sounded immediately like that 70s/80s Boogie tone that I love! I never got around to putting my favorite EV 12S set in it, just played and played on the Altecs. They suit this amp so well that I decided they are staying there. Like I said, bears out the "cab block makes as much difference as the amp block" in Axe Fx parlance, but was a pleasant surprise.

I was curious if anyone else has run into one of those "put in this speaker and the light comes on" moments. It was the most fun I have had on a "real" amp in years!

I walked the plank Rick. Finally sold my last amp (Lonestar Special) to a friend. I still have a Line 6 Flextone II XL, but I only use it for a stage monitor and run the Fractal into the effects return. I recently snagged an Orange 35RT (iddy biddy, wittle amp) that has an effects return, and I use that for taking to local jams and stuff like that. I pretty much use it in the same way I use my Flextone. The Flextone is a 2 x 12, built like a tank and weighs a ton. It has a pair of Celestions that really make the fractal sound great. I wouldn't gig with the Orange as it is too small. As an added benefit, it makes a great little amp for my guitar students to use. Saves them lugging gear.

It is always gratifying to make a modification to old gear and find a new thing.

Mixed and matched real speakers/cabinets on my many tube amps over the years because they do change the character of the sound immensely! My first swap was putting 2-EVM's in my '75 Twin Reverb! Even in my 20's I thought it was ridiculously heavy, expensive and although loud, not a good match for me. My last swap before selling all my tube/analogue stuff was putting 2 Hemp Cone Alnico 12s in my '62 Fender Bassman- sounded awesome!. Virtual speaker swapping is one of the many delights of the Axe Fx.

Absolutely. For years I used cheap guitar cabs until I eventually got my first mesa cab. I hated it at first. I couldn't stand the vintage 30's. They were so in your face and noisy that I couldn't take it. I kept plugging into that cab here and there wanting to like it because that is what all of my heros used. Well one day it clicked and now I can't live without a vintage 30 speaker or cab block. I realized that that annoying quality is what makes them cut through so well. So the vintage 30 became my sound. Whether it's a real cab or a cab block whenever I use something else I feel like something is missing. Except for maybe clean tones. But you are right a speaker or cab block can be just as important as an amp or amp block.

I am giving it time to see if it's as awesome as it seems, just something new, or a bit of both. At any rate, it's been a ton of enjoyment playing through them. Ton of amp, too! Was heavy before the add, and the Altecs carry a bit more weight than the already heavy Mesa 90s that preceded them. Good clean (and dirty) fun, been a good weekend.

I have a Marshall stack in my studio that is there for show only. A testament to the heritage of Rock!
There's nothing that looks quite as rock and roll as a Marshall stack, at least for my generation! If hearing loss and back pain didn't exist, I'd be right there! There isn't anything quite like cutting one of those loose... to 11. I also remember hearing a speaker revelation on a 50 Watt Marshall head, when a 1960TV cab with the greenbacks was plugged in. It's such a particular sound you can't help but say "that sounds just like..." and go for those sounds. It's those experiences that I lean on when selecting cabinet blocks on Fractal gear, and it's amazing how often it is right on the mark.

Back
Top Bottom