Something wrong with my AXE?

rolidoc

Inspired
Hello, I´m very unhappy cause my AXE XL+ sounds like sh…

A few days ago I posted my problem in the thread “about clipping” started by Yek and then in “My Axe is possessed” by SteveW but no solution. So maybe I used the wrong way to announce my problem. In the beginning I noticed a similar strange behavior of my AXE XL as “smallstonefan”. Sometimes when I turn the AXE on, I was getting a subtle but audible distortion in the high end and the preset sounds like too much presence and a little bit thin but my unit wasn't connected to a soundcard or PC only to my Matrix Q12a and MFC. Sometimes a reset solves this problem sometimes not. I couldn't find the cause. Don't use active pickups, changing the cables didn't change anything. My instrument level is 50%, no red LEDs, I turn to 80%, it´s sounds a little less harsh but not good as before, I don´t use extreme presets. This distortion is particular clear on mid and high gain sounds but also in clear settings. The next time I turn the AXE on every preset sounds as it should but this problem sucks because it kills this awesome feeling playing through the AXE.

This issue started for a long time maybe Q 2 or 3, in the beginning only e few times over months. But since three days everytime I turn on the AXE it´s sounds crappy no turning to its origin sound and I´ve lost the daily desire for the AXE. Even after update to Q8.01. I make a short and simple audio clip with cubase to demonstrate what I mean, I used the updated preset origin “ 59 Bassguy “, no tweaking, first with my Tele USA deluxe and the second clip with my Paula loaded with Amber pickups (spirit of 59), as Yek describes in the thread "about clipping" this preset should nearly clean and no distortion. The third audio is for comparison, I´ve done this short clip a month ago (I think it was Q 6, maybe 7) with my Les Paul and the factory preset 2290 tape delay (USA Rhythm), the delay is bypassed. As you hear, no distortion, warm sound. Today I bought new cable but nothing changes.

Here are the clips

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udqaadwop4mrk5n/bassguy 59_02.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcuixn2m53kh7q9/bassguy 59_03.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2w5m9i3razqgi2/USA Rhthm.mp3?dl=0

Do I have to restore system because a simple reset doesn´t solves? And how do I restore correctly?

Do I need technical support?

This distortion is audible with all of my guitars whether I use new cable (cordial CSI), it´s audible on the clip, with headphones and really cutting my ears playing over my Matrix Q12a.

And finally, please excuse my simple English and the bad grammar.

Nice playing and the tone sounded great to me, but it's spring and I have allergies.

Nice playing and the tone sounded great to me, but it's spring and I have allergies.
Don't understand the meaning inside, maybe the problem it's me and I have to consult an otorhinolaryngologist who checks my ears

They sound good to me as well. If you're wanting them to be clean, have you tried lowering your input gain or preamp knob?

Clips sound fine. Maybe something wrong with your monitors or audio interface.

Sounded ok to me too ..... sounded like a vintage non MV Fender amp.

Does it become cleaner as you roll your guitar volume back?

Thanks, I will check this tomorrow. I thought, the factory preset bassguy 59 is nearly clean.

Possibly way off base, but I have a pair of AKG240M headphones, that do precisely this to my guitar. They don't exhibit the distortion when listening to program material (mixed music) but solo guitar distorts the highs noticeably.

The same signal is fine through other cans, and my studio monitors.

Hello, I´m very unhappy cause my AXE XL+ sounds like sh…

A few days ago I posted my problem in the thread “about clipping” started by Yek and then in “My Axe is possessed” by SteveW but no solution. So maybe I used the wrong way to announce my problem. In the beginning I noticed a similar strange behavior of my AXE XL as “smallstonefan”. Sometimes when I turn the AXE on, I was getting a subtle but audible distortion in the high end and the preset sounds like too much presence and a little bit thin but my unit wasn't connected to a soundcard or PC only to my Matrix Q12a and MFC. Sometimes a reset solves this problem sometimes not. I couldn't find the cause. Don't use active pickups, changing the cables didn't change anything. My instrument level is 50%, no red LEDs, I turn to 80%, it´s sounds a little less harsh but not good as before, I don´t use extreme presets. This distortion is particular clear on mid and high gain sounds but also in clear settings. The next time I turn the AXE on every preset sounds as it should but this problem sucks because it kills this awesome feeling playing through the AXE.

This issue started for a long time maybe Q 2 or 3, in the beginning only e few times over months. But since three days everytime I turn on the AXE it´s sounds crappy no turning to its origin sound and I´ve lost the daily desire for the AXE. Even after update to Q8.01. I make a short and simple audio clip with cubase to demonstrate what I mean, I used the updated preset origin “ 59 Bassguy “, no tweaking, first with my Tele USA deluxe and the second clip with my Paula loaded with Amber pickups (spirit of 59), as Yek describes in the thread "about clipping" this preset should nearly clean and no distortion. The third audio is for comparison, I´ve done this short clip a month ago (I think it was Q 6, maybe 7) with my Les Paul and the factory preset 2290 tape delay (USA Rhythm), the delay is bypassed. As you hear, no distortion, warm sound. Today I bought new cable but nothing changes.

Here are the clips

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udqaadwop4mrk5n/bassguy 59_02.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcuixn2m53kh7q9/bassguy 59_03.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2w5m9i3razqgi2/USA Rhthm.mp3?dl=0

Do I have to restore system because a simple reset doesn´t solves? And how do I restore correctly?

Do I need technical support?

This distortion is audible with all of my guitars whether I use new cable (cordial CSI), it´s audible on the clip, with headphones and really cutting my ears playing over my Matrix Q12a.

And finally, please excuse my simple English and the bad grammar.
Those sound fine to me I thought that the first time as well because I actually do hear that higher frequency sting that's bothering you too. Don't over think this it's not that bad

If you're getting uncomfortable highs through FRFR monitors - don't forget that you can (should really) cut your low and high in the Cab block 75 - 80 low cut and 7000 - 8000 high cut ... or play around with those values to suit your monitor.

The 59 Bassman is capable of being clean - but it would take the input drive to be set low and possibly even at that the guitar volume rolled back a bit too. I'd say the classic Bassman set up is more to be breaking up when guitar volume opened and get clean(ish) when rolling back guitar volume .... good ol' old school stuff. But with it in digital format and having presets, scenes and x/y then anything is possible

Thank you all for your efforts to help me through. Yesterday I adjusted the position of my bridge pickup and set the instrument level in the i/o settings to 80%, so the red LEDs flickering sometimes when hitting the strings hard. This decrease the high unharmonic distortions but they're still audible. Today I will adjust the strings a little higher because I noticed that the unharmonic sounds are louder as I do downstrokes. Maybe I practiced too much and my muscles are stronger now.
@maxdown: I never had the pleasure to own a fender bassman. Really great amp and tastefully playing, I like that. I know, that roll down the guitar volume cleans the amp, but I understood Yeks comment as that the factory preset with the bassman is an reference to proof whether the AXE is on wrong settings that causes clipping.

Conclusion : the problem always sits in front of the awesome AXE!
And this forum is the best community for guitar players who are more musicians than technicians.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom