Something wicked this way comes...

I'm surprised small/medium venue users don't use something like this. It's all self contained and even has a drawer for the MFC among other things. Weight and space is a concern so splitting up the rig into 3 pieces (rack, pedal bag, speaker) is often preferred but if that thing has wheels and uses neos, then it might not be too bad.

8 space rack on top (Axe FX, Furman, I/O panel, Goose-neck light panel, TC-Helicon Voicelive rack, and 1 extra space). A swing up Laptop table on top (for backing tracks and future automated Midi switching). Real nice rubber locking casters.

The drawer has a small 6 channel mixer (for local mixing of Axe FX, Backing tracks, Vocal Harmonizer, an Aux-in for MP3,s or whatever), an Audio interface for computer audio and click track. and a wireless RX so far.

The speakers are two rubber mounted Equator D-5 studio monitors for personal monitoring. It is completely self contained!! Fold the laptop tray up, put the laptop on top, plug the firewire into the I/O panel, Run mic cables from the I/O panel to front of house, Plug my MFC 101 snake into the I/O panel, plug it into the wall and flip one switch. The internal monitors are loud enough for rehearsals with our drummers electronic drums. At small or large shows I use the vocal wedges for the heavy lifting. The I/O panel also has an Aux-out to send my guitar and backing tracks to the drummers monitor system.

Like I said, very purpose built by me for me. Super convenient.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the follow-up posting. Great to see how it turned out!

Thanks; it's solid, it looks good, and it sounds great! I ended up with a Meas Black Shadow and a Celestion Vintage 30 in the cabinet. I still have to make the IR's and tone matches for it so the mains get the same sound but it's pretty close right now.

BTW, did you ever weigh it with everything in it?

Yes I did; with all the stuff I have in it right now it's 192# and with the casters placed the way they are, it moves like a breeze. I know the 192# fully loaded with a tube power amp might be an issue for some people; however, I can tilt it in and out of my RAV4 SUV, alone, and really easily; it's also a really easy lift for two people if needed. The height worked out perfectly, it fits snugly between the wheel wells in my RAV4 (see updated photos on previous page). I'm probably going to switch out the Carvin TS100 Tube Power Amp soon with a solid state power amp and that will strip 20 pounds off.

Someone suggested that I tilt back the top speaker or the whole speaker panel; I chose to modify the original design so the front bottom swivel casters raised the front and the entire cabinet is tilted back (see updated photos on previous page), I really like it that way! In the long run, it was a great suggestion!

I built something similar recently. I hadn't thought through the weight factor enough. The 200lb rig was a very short lived nuisance! =] The kind of stages I play on and the locations of the venues simply doesn't make a beast like this feasible for me. Also I like to change my setup some times! I play acoustically with no cab, my rock band necessitates a stereo setup. The sit ins I like to do requires a 212 frfr setup. I can't quite see wanting a vertical, non-stereo 2x12, non FRFR, 7U for the AxeFx player...
I simply realized smaller modules makes more sense for me.
Curious to see the cab interior! Hell of an effort here!

I built something similar recently. I hadn't thought through the weight factor enough. The 200lb rig was a very short lived nuisance!

I understand. I'm still using this for big shows, I just got the AX8 for the routine weeks usages. The AX8 is GREAT for a light package with all the bells and whistles I use for the weekly stuff.

Curious to see the cab interior! Hell of an effort here!

THere are photos of the insite using the webpage link in my post above.

Hell of an effort here!

Thanks

Just now seeing this rig for the first time. Nice work, Spoons! Wouldn't really work for my needs, but it does give me some motivation to build the multi-guitar road case/stage stand I've been jonesing for.

@Spoons wow where do you work to have tooling like this?

Can't speak for Spoons, but I'm a hobbyist woodworker with a decent home shop setup. I have several hobbyist friends who have CNC router setups that could do the automated cutting and drilling that this rig required. So this might be in his garage.

Can't speak for Spoons, but I'm a hobbyist woodworker with a decent home shop setup. I have several hobbyist friends who have CNC router setups that could do the automated cutting and drilling that this rig required. So this might be in his garage.
Big CNC router for a hobby... man that's great! I have zero space for any of it, but how much does that cost to have that kind of a setup as a hobbyist?

Big CNC router for a hobby... man that's great! I have zero space for any of it, but how much does that cost to have that kind of a setup as a hobbyist?

I have friends that have built their own for about the cost of an Axe-Fx. Others who've spent around $20K for a turnkey system with a 4' x 8' bed. Most of the guys running the more expensive machines are also making money with them, usually making signs and such.

The big new thing I'm seeing a lot of guys get into are 3-D printers. You can buy a decent kit for a few hundred bucks.

I'm an admin on a woodworking forum that also includes CNC, laser engraver/cutter, and 3-D printing subforums. We live in very rich technological times, for sure.

@Spoons wow where do you work to have tooling like this?

Just saw your question.

I work in a manufacturing plant. I'm the Manufacturing Engineer, Product Designer, CAD Drafter, Quality Control, Web Designer, Machine Programmer, IT Department, and that's all before lunchtime. :) We use the router in the wood shop for making custom products that we make to order for a couple hundred regular customers. We also have a water jet, turret press, full welding department, tooling department, machine shop, punch press room with about 30 punch presses, press brakes, and a custom upholstery department. Right now I'm in the final stages of creating a completely new website for the company to replace the one we've had for over 10 years. We're rather diversified and it keeps me busy.

Back
Top Bottom