Something wicked this way comes...

He is making it a sealed vertical 212 guitar cab.

Yep - I can see that.

So here's the much longer version of my question: Just as the earlier suggestion of a slanted baffle made great sense, so might porting (this being for an Axe...). Both possibilities could have incorporated with relative ease - but maybe not with this prototype.

I'm not seeking to blow off this idea in any way. But it has been posted since design stage for comment, so I'm commenting.

I think the other earlier idea of splitting this into lighter units was also good. Personally, I'm going for much lighter modules, rather than one big heavy one - as with modern PA's.

But the cabinet making is of very high quality and it will be interesting to see the finished article. Please regard my comments as intended to help the OP with his market research (as he's said he's thinking of going into production.)

He is making it a sealed vertical 212 guitar cab.
Actually that's incorrect. It is only sealed for those that choose for it to be. There is a removable panel on the rear of the speaker section behind the lower door This can be an open back 2 X 12 cabinet if someone chooses and anyone can modify their speaker mounting board with holes if they choose. The idea is you take this cabinet as your stating point, make a few modifications if you choose, add the components of your choice, choose your favorite speaker grill cloth and install it, make your connections and off you go.

...the earlier suggestion of a slanted baffle made great sense
That is actually being considered right now with a personal twist, the twist does create some unique challenges. I think the idea will work even with my twist, but no promises right now.

I'm not seeking to blow off this idea in any way. But it has been posted since design stage for comment, so I'm commenting.
Not a problem, keep the comments and ideas coming, I'm reading absolutely every one of them whether I reply to them or not. As anyone in manufacturing knows all too well; sometimes no has to be the correct answer "for now".

I think the other earlier idea of splitting this into lighter units was also good. Personally, I'm going for much lighter modules, rather than one big heavy one - as with modern PA's.
Splitting the product into separate pieces really has no marketable value to me right now. There are loads and loads of good 2 X 12 cabinets and racks out there, I'm really not trying to do the same thing. As of today, this idea really has no direct competition.

P.S. I really don't expect everyone to jump at this idea, it really will be for a narrow niche market. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it't not. Our company has a couple of products that are for a niche market and they do really well. We also have some products that hit HUGE markets, those do well too.

EDITS: Had to fix typos.

Last edited:
Actually that's incorrect. It is only sealed for those that choose for it to be. There is a removable panel on the rear of the speaker section behind the lower door This can be an open back 2 X 12 cabinet if someone chooses and anyone can modify their speaker mounting board with holes if they choose. The idea is you take this cabinet as your stating point, make a few modifications if you choose, add the components of your choice, choose your favorite speaker grill cloth and install it, make your connections and off you go.

Sorry I read a little deeper into your specs and I did see where you stated that you can remove the rear of the cab portion to make it an open back cab.

Open back seems to help with the higher freqs.

A lot will depend on what speakers people decide to put in. Tuning cabs to specific speakers is how cab makers seems to be going these days. But putting in a port/s, enhances lower freqs, so that would seem to me to a useful addition - as that's what a cabinet actually does...

...putting in a port/s, enhances lower freqs, so that would seem to me to a useful addition - as that's what a cabinet actually does...
I don't necessarily disagree with you for some things; with the way this is built, you can easily pull the speaker mounting panel off, whip out a hole saw and add a port in it if you like.

I firmly believe that it would be inappropriate for me to make a global decision that all users will be forced to have a port in their speaker mounting panel whether they want one or not. It is easy for users to add their own port if they want one but it's kinda difficult to put back wood in a port that you never wanted to begin with. Yes, I know there are hole plugs/baffles that can be installed, but I'm sure you get the point. :)

I firmly believe that it would be inappropriate for me to make a global decision that all users will be forced to have a port in their speaker mounting panel whether they want one or not. It is easy for users to add their own port if they want one but it's kinda difficult to put back wood in a port that you never wanted to begin with. Yes, I know there are hole plugs/baffles that can be installed, but I'm sure you get the point. :)

Depends if you're building this to order... My point being that if you design it with a port, then you can always leave it out, but not the other way round.

Anyway very good luck with it.

Well I finally made the choice of what speakers to put into this cabinet today; I chose Celestion C90's better known as the Mesa Black Shadow. If I choose later to blend one of those Black Shadows with a Celestion Vintage 30, I've got 4 of them and they are basically unused. When they get here next week I can mount them on the Marshall Salt & Pepper grill cloth covered speaker mounting board.

One step at a time...

If your wondering, it's STILL not done yet. The brackets that I have been waiting for weeks to get finally arrived yesterday afternoon and the only thing I had time to do was to make sure they fit properly, they did. Now I have absolutely no time until the latter part of next week to do anything with it; sometimes I get frustrated but then I remind myself that I am in no hurry and I can relax once in a while and smell the roses, I'm on no schedule with this project, yet.

I'm curious why you announced the product so early. Surely it's better to announce when it's ready to buy? Posts like this just give off a negative impression to potential customers.

It's been a long time coming, but my Evolution rig is 100% complete!

I’m currently working with a distributor in the Chicago area to get it available to interested consumers and final MSRP has not yet been set but it will likely be steep for this high quality cabinet. There will likely be two models, the one you see below with a vinyl cover and a model with a solid front cover for touring (suggested by some of you and a nationally touring Nashville musician). The grill cloth in this particular photo is likely not going to be the final grill cloth chosen, that was just my first choice to try. I've tried another one and I have one more in the works to try before I make my final decision on that, right now I'm leaning more towards a gloss black open weave grill cloth that will match the cabinet gloss black finish better.

Vintage Marshall Grill Cloth

Brown Grill Cloth (Will Be Trying a Gloss Black Grill Cloth Too)

Angle Back

Back Side

Top Door Open

Top Door Open (Looking Up From Floor)

Bottom Door Open

Packed in RAV4

Vinyl Cover

Last edited:
Wow!

Thanks for the follow-up posting. Great to see how it turned out!

BTW, did you ever weigh it with everything in it?

Man, I love this. if only it were FRFR I'd be all over it right now!

Talk to the folks at Atomic and see if they can't build their magic into your box. It's be a hit with me and others like me that hate moving shit around.

I'm surprised small/medium venue users don't use something like this. It's all self contained and even has a drawer for the MFC among other things. Weight and space is a concern so splitting up the rig into 3 pieces (rack, pedal bag, speaker) is often preferred but if that thing has wheels and uses neos, then it might not be too bad.

View attachment 23364View attachment 23365

Looks good. This is my rig. Very purpose built. Old pics of it before it was complete, It has changed a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom