Something wicked this way comes...

Spoons

Inspired
Here is the sneak peak introduction for my fellow Axe-Fx fans.

EVOLUTION
Evolution is a performance grade rack combination cabinet designed for professional guitarists! It is the new evolution in guitar cabinetry. The cabinet is a vertically aligned 2 X 12 speaker cabinet with a permanently built in 7 space rack and moving dolly. If you would like a vertically aligned combo amp using rack mountable gear, this is a ready-made cabinet to start the process. You pick all your favorite rack components, your favorite speakers, your favorite speaker grill/fabric, assemble it, roll it on stage and bring down the house! Absolutely no corners have been cut in the design or manufacturing of this cabinet; it is designed to become a permanent part of your performance rig and the fabrication and hardware will stand the ultimate test of time.

We are projecting to have a few cabinets available to the public early in 2014, the unit price has NOT yet been determined. There will be a website dedicated to product information for this cabinet and other unique new guitar related gear items.

CABINET FEATURES

FRONT (Top-to-bottom)
• The seven space rack is permanently built into the top section of the cabinet for easier access to adjustment knobs without stooping or bending over. The threaded holes for rack components are fabricated into two 3/16” thick high-strength aluminum angles which are accurately located on the cabinet interior walls. The mountings will fit all 1U, 2U, and 3U rack gear on the market. There is a small amount of additional space added above the top rack space and below the bottom rack space for additional air flow when the rack is completely full. With 7 available rack mountable spots, it has enough available space to accommodate mounting tube heads with the proper brackets provided by the manufacturer and you will still have space left over. Example: A rack mountable Carvin Legacy 3 Head occupies 5 spaces leaving 2 spaces empty, or a rack mountable Carvin V3M head occupies 4 spaces leaving 3 spaces empty. There is additional space above the top rack space and below the bottom rack space for increased air flow. Rack components are not included.

• The vertical 2 X 12 Speaker Cabinet is isolated from the rest of the cabinet and slightly oversized.

• The front speaker mounting panel is purposely unfinished and designed to be removable so the user can easily switch speakers or speaker grill/fabric covering. Speakers are not included. The panel layout is designed to contain two 12” guitar speakers, additional layouts may be offered in the future if there is a demand for it. The mounting panel has #10-32 T-Nuts installed for mounting speakers and ¼-20 T-Nuts mounted for securing the panel to the cabinet.

• Two lift handles that are mounted to T-Nuts in the plywood, one handle is mounted on each side of the cabinet.

• Two stainless steel leveling feet in front.

REAR (Top-to-bottom)
• One heavy duty high-strength aluminum handle.

• The easy access, top rear, rack access door has a 3U rack hole cut in it with a replaceable 3U fan mounting plate attached so you can mount fans if your components require additional air flow. The 3U rack plate can be mounted on the inside or the outside of the cabinet. Actual fans are not included.

• A 2U rack hole cut is cut into the mid-section of the rear cabinet chassis that has a replaceable 2U mounting plate containing laser-cut knock-outs for mounting your inputs and outputs. The 2U rack plate can be mounted on the inside or the outside of the cabinet.

• The lower rear door is the access to the storage well between the rear wheels and access to the inner removable panel for the rear of the speaker cabinet section.

• Two 3/16” thick stainless steel hinges and two heavy-duty stainless steel cam locks are mounted to each of the access doors. There are mounting holes already in place to “permanently” screw the doors to the chassis after you are completely done with your project; HA, I said completely done, now that’s unique concept for guitar players that are continually searching for the “perfect” tone.

• There are replaceable guides along the lower outer edges and one mounted in the center if the lower storage access door for assisting in pulling the cabinet up stairs or putting into vehicles without damaging the chassis or door surfaces.

• Two extremely heavy duty non-marring 2” x 4” casters in stainless steel frames are mounted on the bottom rear at an angle to provide a solid rolling base for moving the cabinet over very rough surfaces, through snow, etc, etc. Their weight capacity is far, FAR beyond what you will ever put in this cabinet.

GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
• The cabinet chassis is constructed entirely of high quality thirteen ply 18mm (.709”) inch high-grade plywood, glued, nailed and doweled together to make an extremely rigid nearly indestructible chassis.

• The materials used in the solid construction of the cabinet chassis gives the user the freedom to drill small mounting holes (careful not to drill through the outer surfaces) and use small wood screws on the interior surfaces to attach readily available hardware items that can be found at almost any local hardware store to keep wires, transformers, electrical boxes, all properly anchored to the chassis without degradation of the chassis. If you need a large hole in one of the panels to mount something special, within reasonable limits, the chassis can certainly handle it.

• The plywood parts are precisely routed and held to close tolerances with an NC router to maintain product consistency.

• The cabinet exterior surfaces are coated with a durable DuraTex™ weather-resistant finish. The interior surfaces all are unfinished (please ignore that the CAD renderings below show the inside finished)

Specifications are subject to change.

Front Right View (CAD Solid Model)
CoatedWood1.jpg

Rear Left View (CAD Solid Model)
CoatedWood2.jpg

The prototype that is currently being manufactured is my personal cabinet. I will be adding a removable guitar hanger on each side of the chassis so I can hang one of my four Custom Carvin guitars on each side, no more free standing guitar stands on stage for me! I haven’t chosen the final speakers for my cabinet yet, but I narrowed it down in a test oversize cabinet to either a Carvin GT12’s, Celestion Vintage 30’s, or Sheffield 6505’s, could end up to be a combination of two of those. The speakers will be covered with Marshall Salt & Pepper grill cloth. The rack will be filled with (top to bottom) with thermostatically controlled dual fans mounted to the rear, Carvin AC120 on top so the lights can shine down on the front of entire cabinet, Carvin EM900 Wireless In-Ear (adding air vent holes to the EM900 rack mount pieces), Carvin TS100 or Carvin DCM1540L, Line 6 Relay G90 so I can have wireless for two guitars, a new Fractal Axe-Fx II, and everything will be controlled by a new Fractal MFC-101.

I'll post more information after the prototype is complete.

That's going to be pretty cool but man what a beast I'll bet that thing is going to weigh in around the 175 Lb mark. One suggestion, if I may... if your going to use guitar speakers would be to build in a few degrees of tilt to the speaker baffle, 'A la slant 212. Do you have an estimated weight yet?

That's going to be pretty cool but man what a beast I'll bet that thing is going to weigh in around the 175 Lb mark. One suggestion, if I may... if your going to use guitar speakers would be to build in a few degrees of tilt to the speaker baffle, 'A la slant 212. Do you have an estimated weight yet?
I think 175# is way over estimating this even if it was full of tube amps. CAD can only estimate based on an average density of known materials, it will really be determined by the actual density of the pieces of plywood used in the final assembly. A guess at an empty weight would be between 65# and 75#. We'll see what the weight actually is once the prototype is complete. I'll post the empty weight when the assembly is complete.

Slant cab speaker section might be possible in the future but when you add pieces you add cost.

Slant cab speaker section might be possible in the future but when you add pieces you add cost.

You wouldn't have to add anything just tilt the baffle in at the top in the box you already have [\ ;). Don't forget to add in some foam in the enclosure to aid in standing wave subduction.

You wouldn't have to add anything just tilt the baffle in at the top in the box you already have [\ ;). Don't forget to add in some foam in the enclosure to aid in standing wave subduction.

Tilt the whole speaker panel, interesting idea, I'll think about that!

Inner speaker cabinet work is planned, have some testing with prototype to do before that is finalized.

Last edited:
Wow, there is a HUGE time difference between where I am and the time listed for my comments! The server is 5 hours ahead!

Wow, there is a HUGE time difference between where I am and the time listed for my comments! The server is 5 hours ahead!

Sounds like your time setting is not right, go to (Settings) very top right of the screen between My Profile and Log In/Out, Look for the My Account window to the center left of that page, Then look for General settings, scroll down to Date and Time options, at the time zone I think you should have GMT-5 selected.

looks like a great idea. Sure would save setup/tear down time too.

Keep us in the loop, I bet you'll be getting some orders for these.

Some kind of removable lid on the front might be good idea to protect the speakers and racks :)
I ruled out a lid in favor of a vinyl cover that will snap snugly into place, almost no additional weight and the snaps are readly available at any hardware store for pennies as opposed to many dollars for stainless steel hardware. Plus, I have an entire upholsery department right in our factory with rolls and rolls of high quality vinyl for use.

Estimated total empty weight (less vinyl cover) based on the actual weight of existing components and estimated weights of glue, finish, and small screws will be 87.5 lbs.

Estimated weight with the components I intend to put in the cabinet is 155#, that is going to be a breeze to move around!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom