Something loose inside my Axe Fx XL+?

a_esia

Hi guys. I bought a used Axe Fx II XL+ and it works just fine. However after inspecting it for any potential damage I noticed something moving inside the unit. More precisely, it seems like there's something moving inside the flyback converter. I discovered it while shaking the unit, which of course is not going to happen very often but I just wanted to check for anything loose inside just for peace of mind. Fractal support suggested I opened the top panel but couldn't find anything moving around. To be more specific, the only way I can hear this thing moving is if I move the axe fx back and forth (along the axis that goes from the front panel to the outputs in the back). If I shake it side to side or even put it upside down I can't hear anything. Any idea on what could that be? I know nothing about electronics so my first thought was that there's some sort of component that's "supposed" to do that. Again, It works fine but just wanted to check with you guys just in case someone had this happen to them or if I'm probably worrying too much!

Last edited:
Hi guys. I bought a used Axe Fx II XL+ and it works just fine. However after inspecting it for any potential damage I noticed something moving inside the unit. More precisely, it seems like there's something moving inside the flyback converter. I discovered it while shaking the unit, which of course is not going to happen very often but I just wanted to check for anything loose inside just for peace of mind. Fractal support suggested I opened the top panel but couldn't find anything moving around. To be more specific, the only way I can hear this thing moving is if I move the axe fx back and forth (along the axis that goes from the front panel to the outputs in the back). If I shake it side to side or even put it upside down I can't hear anything. Any idea on what could that be? I know nothing about electronics so my first thought was that there's some sort of component that's "supposed" to do that. Again, It works fine but just wanted to check with you guys just in case someone had this happen to them or if I'm probably worrying too much!
are you sure it's not the locking mechanism for the mfc jack? if it's not that, you should open it and shake it again and pay attention to the wires and what's near them. post a picture if you'd like.

are you sure it's not the locking mechanism for the mfc jack? if it's not that, you should open it and shake it again and pay attention to the wires and what's near them. post a picture if you'd like.
Hi Mike! Pretty sure it's not the mfc jack. I went ahead and opened the top panel again and I can't find anything moving or visibly wrong. I took some pictures too. This "ping" sound I get comes from within the component right behind the screen. I even recorded an audio clip of it if that could come in handy but I'm not sure how to to attach it here.IMG_1502.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Hi Mike! Pretty sure it's not the mfc jack. I went ahead and opened the top panel again and I can't find anything moving or visibly wrong. I took some pictures too. This "ping" sound I get comes from within the component right behind the screen. I even recorded an audio clip of it if that could come in handy but I'm not sure how to to attach it here.View attachment 100966
you could try uploading it to any number of audio file hosts on the web, i think it would help to hear what it sounds like. it's very peculiar that you're having this issue. perhaps one of the pem nuts has come loose? check them for wiggling maybe?

you could try uploading it to any number of audio file hosts on the web, i think it would help to hear what it sounds like. it's very peculiar that you're having this issue. perhaps one of the pem nuts has come loose? check them for wiggling maybe?
Search for "AXE ping sound" on soundcloud it'll be the first result. Unfortunately I can't post links until my account is at least 10 days old.

I gained it up quite a bit so that it’s audible. It's the high pitched kind of metallic sound.

EDIT: I re-opened the unit to check for any wiggling but everything was fine. HOWEVER, I noticed the top right screw of the mother board is missing (can be also seen in the attachments). So could it be a loose screw moving around? But still it doesn't explain why the sound seems to come from the component behind the screen, unless it got stuck.

EDIT 2: I thoroughly checked the space between the motherboard and the "floor" of the unit itself and nothing again.

Last edited:
Search for "AXE ping sound" on soundcloud it'll be the first result. Unfortunately I can't post links until my account is at least 10 days old.

I gained it up quite a bit so that it’s audible. It's the high pitched kind of metallic sound.

EDIT: I re-opened the unit to check for any wiggling but everything was fine. HOWEVER, I noticed the top right screw of the mother board is missing (can be also seen in the attachments). So could it be a loose screw moving around? But still it doesn't explain why the sound seems to come from the component behind the screen, unless it got stuck.

EDIT 2: I thoroughly checked the space between the motherboard and the "floor" of the unit itself and nothing again.
oh that is weird, it seems to delay before making the sound. are you flipping the unit and then it makes the sound a little later?

oh that is weird, it seems to delay before making the sound. are you flipping the unit and then it makes the sound a little later?
Yes exactly! The way I imagine it is kinda like an abacus if that makes sense. It sounds like it moves on a rod or something.

Sure it's not the buttons?
Not sure about how I'd go about checking them but I'm pretty positive it's not the buttons. I even tried putting my ear against the side of the axe fx and the sound is definitely localized within the component right behind the screen. At this point I'm considering unscrewing this component just to check if it actually comes from there but I don't wanna risk breaking anything!

EDIT: So I actually unscrewed it and the sound definitely comes from there. Well at least it's not something moving around! One less variable to consider.

Last edited:
Not sure about how I'd go about checking them but I'm pretty positive it's not the buttons. I even tried putting my ear against the side of the axe fx and the sound is definitely localized within the component right behind the screen. At this point I'm considering unscrewing this component just to check if it actually comes from there but I don't wanna risk breaking anything!

EDIT: So I actually unscrewed it and the sound definitely comes from there. Well at least it's not something moving around! One less variable to consider.
you could apply a bunch of blue tape to the buttons perhaps? honestly who knows what's up. are the rack ears/handles loose or wobbly? check those too...

That's the power supply. Could maybe be one of the inductor or transformer cores moving inside the coil or something. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that missing screw hiding in there somewhere either. Just be careful of the contacts on that big black and silver filter capacitor on the corner of it. If it's charged up it could give you a little zap.

Last edited:
you could apply a bunch of blue tape to the buttons perhaps? honestly who knows what's up. are the rack ears/handles loose or wobbly? check those too...

That's what I ended up doing but as It turns out the sound comes actually from the power supply since I took it off, shook it around a little bit and got that exact same ping sound!

That's the power supply. Could maybe be one of the inductor or transformer cores moving inside the coil or something.

Oh got it. If that's the case do you think that's something to be concerned about?

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that missing screw hiding in there somewhere either.
Yeah that screw is nowhere to be found! I double checked the power supply and I'm pretty sure it's not there. Also how probable is it that it came with a missing screw from the factory? Either it wasn't there from the get go or someone had to remove it intentionally because I don't think it would come loose with some hard hits or even a fall for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom