Something in 6/8. Breaking writer's block

simeon

Axe-Master
so i haven't written anything in ages. i've been doing some stuff for other people, but nothing of my own for months. so i decided to set myself a little challenge

write something in 6/8 (not my favourite time sig)
use every instrument i have (including a lap steel which i don't know how to play very well yet)
use an ABCBA arrangement (which never works for instrumentals, really imo)
play some "normal" guitar (none of that ambient nonsense i normally do)

so having boxed myself in nicely, i came up with this...

instruments used...
Faith Neptune Trembesi acoustic
Warmoth superstrat
Epiphone Les Paul Elitist
Gibson Midtown Custom semi
Fender American Special Tele
KGB Custom headless with sustainiac
EBM lap steel

amps used...
Plexi 100 1970
Deluxe Tweed
AC30
Deluxe Verb
USA Clean
Triaxis
Plexi 50
maybe one or two others i can't remember...
cabs are all factory, or ownhammer

solos..
1: Warmoth > Triaxis lead yellow
2: Headless > Triaxis lead yellow
3: Gibson > AC30
4: Lap Steel > Tweed
5: Epiphone > Plexi 100

the intro is the tele into the tweed set to edge of breakup with the fet boost in front on the klon settings. some slapback delay as well

nearly all the presets used are my regular gigging patches with virtually no post processing...just a little compression and extra reverb or delay if needed.

drums are Native Instruments 70's drummer and the bass is Trilian. and a little hammond and synth for colour in a couple of places.

really enjoying the fenders at the moment...having never owned a real one, it's fun finding all these classic tones....especially with the tele!

all recorded with Q2.04 set to "latest". just rockin'

just posting it here, because then it's done and i can move on :)

Last edited:
Really nice recording! Lots of sounds going on. Did you use any keyboards or was it all AxeFx? I figured you were cleverly using the built in crystals pitch up until the B3 at the end.

so i haven't written anything in ages. i've been doing some stuff for other people, but nothing of my own for months. so i decided to set myself a little challenge

write something in 6/8 (not my favourite time sig)
use every instrument i have (including a lap steel which i don't know how to play very well yet)
use an ABCBA arrangement (which never works for instrumentals, really imo)

so having boxed myself in nicely, i came up with this...

instruments used...
Faith Neptune Trembesi acoustic
Warmoth superstrat
Epiphone Les Paul Elitist
Gibson Midtown Custom semi
Fender American Special Tele
KGB Custom headless with sustainiac
EBM lap steel

amps used...
Plexi 100 1970
Deluxe Tweed
AC30
Deluxe Verb
USA Clean
Triaxis
Plexi 50
maybe one or two others i can't remember...
cabs are all factory, or ownhammer

solos..
1: Warmoth > Triaxis lead yellow
2: Headless > Triaxis lead yellow
3: Gibson > AC30
4: Lap Steel > Tweed
5: Epiphone > Plexi 100

the intro is the tele into the tweed set to edge of breakup with the fet boost in front on the klon settings. some slapback delay as well

nearly all the presets used are my regular gigging patches with virtually no post processing...just a little compression and extra reverb or delay if needed.

drums are Native Instruments 70's drummer and the bass is Trilian. and a little hammond and synth for colour in a couple of places.

really enjoying the fenders at the moment...having never owned a real one, it's fun finding all these classic tones....especially with the tele!

all recorded with Q2.04 set to "latest". just rockin'

just posting it here, because then it's done and i can move on :)

Very cool Simeon....like it!

Great Simeon , new music to my ears :D
Sometimes 1000 notes are not necessary to convey a deep feeling.
Unexpected, big job, Simeon ;)

Last edited:
This track has a nice feel, and I love the Telecaster sound! At 0:49, the chords remind me a little of the solo section from Pat Metheny's "Its For You".

Glad you're writing. I've been away from it a while too. Your work is inspiring. Makes me want to get back at it. Good job, Sim

thanks man. i'd hardly call this piece "writing". i'd never compose a guitar instrumental with this form. this was just to "break the seal", if you know what i mean. threw it together real quick just to get something done

Really enjoyed this piece. Don't have to mention the guitar playing is excelIent, but I especially like the mix, everything just sounds full but has its own space to breath a bit. I'd pay for album of this :)

thanks guys. it was actually really good fun to do. i used to write loads of "guitar instrumentals" back in my 20's when i was listening to lots of Satriani and Vai and then i got into more ambient stuff. the axe makes it so easy to get great tones...this tune would have been impossible without it...the sheer number of amps involved and having to mic them up etc etc

I know you're being self-depracating, but I think your nonsense is rather good. That said, this is a nice piece. The layering of different parts is particularly on point and I can hear a hint of the Satriani influence, which is a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

yes, i'm always surprised how much Satch worked its way into my style. it wasn't deliberate...it must have just happened by osmosis, i guess. great player...and he's still churning out great tunes after all these years!

Wow. Love it! Overall style and mood remind me of Jimmy Herring. Awesome composition you did.

Back
Top Bottom