Something different

Sixstring

Legend!
My father and I have taken up woodturning as a side hobby hoping it might turn into a side business pun intended! Starting with Pens.

My Uncle (Father's brother) is a longtime wood worker on the Big Island building furniture, Ukuleles and Hawaiian knick knack type of items and he is sending us all of his scraps.

I turned this Pen this afternoon using a nice piece of highly figured Koa, what do you think and how much do you think it might be worth?

Looks like really nice work. I was curious about the cost so I did a search for "hand carved wood pens" and came up with this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/230662...rJloQogouQifT-GB75VxDxelGWpsM0D-UDRoCjADw_wcB

Thanks Mike!
I found that site just the other day and the prices seem to hang around the $20-25 dollar mark unless it's a really nice piece of wood. Then it jumps to the $40-80 range. Just trying to get a feel from the board, I know it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but these type of things always have a range just like guitars that are made with really nice figured woods always seem command a higher price.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Nice on the Pen, my ex wife would be one of your bigger buyers. :0) a few years ago a fan came up to me and presented me with this Wood Slide. It's way cool and although I'm not really a big slide player. I have owned quite a few Slides. This is the only one that I have kept as long as 10 years now. :0). I'm not sure how great wood is for slide. But I bet it's a cool gift for a slide player that already has a ton of slides but not anything like a wood one.

Wow, now that's really cool Larry! It must be made from a really hard wood, Humm... I think my Uncle is sending a few boxes of some really rare Hawaiian woods this week some of which are really hard. I might give that one a try. I'm not much for slid playing either but it might make a cool project and gift.

PM me when you have some Pens made up. I pretty much collect these. I prefer fountain, but will do normal ball as well.
I'd like a streaky-ebony, and a flamed or quilted maple one at some point ;)

PM me when you have some Pens made up. I pretty much collect these. I prefer fountain, but will do normal ball as well.
I'd like a streaky-ebony, and a flamed or quilted maple one at some point ;)

Not a problem! I can do a fountain pen for you I will see if I can find some woods like you are describing and get back with you. I can also put some shape in the pen tip and back as well if you like a pen with a little more character to it.

I turned this one today out of Milo, Im waiting on a Logo burner so I can ID my pens so until I get that nothing will be going out the door.

Last edited:
I will only say that I don't want to give you specs or anything to adhere to. I think I'd actually prefer a ball pen... I'm pretty particular about my fountains :). I do like them slightly larger (in diameter) and "weighty", though!

I like the shape that you have going on the last one. Is it comfortable in the hand with a somewhat tight grip? I know it'll depend partially on the wood you find, but please let me know the price when you have one thought up. If you find ebony (streaky - with some lightness mixed in) *and* quilted maple, I'll take a pair.

I will only say that I don't want to give you specs or anything to adhere to. I think I'd actually prefer a ball pen... I'm pretty particular about my fountains :). I do like them slightly larger (in diameter) and "weighty", though!

I like the shape that you have going on the last one. Is it comfortable in the hand with a somewhat tight grip? I know it'll depend partially on the wood you find, but please let me know the price when you have one thought up. If you find ebony (streaky - with some lightness mixed in) *and* quilted maple, I'll take a pair.

This pen feels pretty nice to hold, the fluting at the end is really comfortable in the fingers. I have an assortment of designs that I have turned over the last few weeks I will shoot you a PM with the details.

These two beauties are coming from @Sixstring! I can't wait to add them into my collection :)
20160129_201248_zpsikhqfrq4.jpg

Thanks Selta for being my first customer!, they will be in the mail to you first thing tomorrow morning ;)

If anyone else is interested in a custom pen shoot me a PM and I can turn out something custom for you! FAS members will get the same deal I did for Selta.

You should be hitting up the pen blogs and forums. Fpgeeks.com is a pretty big one. You'll get an idea if your pens are sellable plus get some feedback on improvements to your design. Once you make some money doing the pens you should also take a look at badgerandblade.com and make some money turning handles for shaving brushes.

So I thought I would post up some of my new work. I bought a entry level CNC router table a few months back in hopes to make boxes to add to the Pens that I have been turning, what you guys think?

This one is a combination of Milo (the top) and Curly Mango for the bottom.

Here is a wicked curly Koa topped box...

This one is Koa top with a very light curl and a Blonde Koa for the bottom.

Another really nice curly Koa box

Back
Top Bottom