Something different....a little violin

After seeing a thread about the EHX HOG I was inspired to try creating some similar sounds. Up until now all of my own patches have been regular guitar sounds. This is the first time I've seriously attempted a "special effects" type of patch from scratch. I tried to create a Violin sound as close as I can, in the process I've been learning so much about parameters I've never really even tried, and I still couldn't explain some of them :lol: ,but I'm getting an idea as to what they do.

So here ya go: http://www.soundclick.com/3chordrock

Any feedback is appreciated as I'm curious as to what others think. The clip is just some random scales, so I'm not posting this for musical content but to see if I got close to the sound. I've played with so many versions of this it's hard to decide what is most authentic, then the ears get tired so it's hard to even be objective. It could still be a work in progress.

Dude, either this is a joke or you've got a seriously good ear and a supreme handle on programming the AFX! I don't know that I could distinguish that from a real violin in a blind test! :shock: Pleeeeeaaase share the patch. :cool:

Thanks! And no, it's not a joke.

It's actually not to hard to get close to this sound using the synth block. I did spend hours playing with different waveforms and finding two that complemented each other really well (I think). It's amazing how many possibilities there are in the parameters an sometimes I'd make a change and go WOW! but I think just because it was different, an then go back. Once I get the preset up you'll see how easy it is to make some dramatic changes that you may like better. If you use the shifting capabilities in that block it's really easy to get a cello sound as well, I may set that up on a modifier to give me even more options for this patch. The absolute KEY to this sound is the IR used. I took the user IR from an acoustic guitar patch (I think it was Javajunkies? I'd like to give credit) as the impulse gives it that natural stringed/wood instrument sound. I suppose if someone makes a violin IR it could be even better. But you'll have to get that IR for this patch to sound even close, or maybe not....but I needed it..

Now what I didn't share with you, an maybe someone can help. The patch is really sensitive in the pitch detection. Single notes only an sometimes as they fade or if you don't hit a strong note it can get a terrible sound like it's hunting. The patch also works well playing slowly with a lot of vibrato (like I did in the example). Playing to fast is o.k. but I don't think it sound as authentic anymore. Also picking softly gets good results.

Finally, I'm kinda a computer idiot. I got the patch in sysex format from the AXE to my computer but not sure how to share it from there. I used the old editor (Lars) to upload it...would that make a difference in how the information is stored since it isn't updated to 7.18. I'll get you guys the patch if you want for certain...I just may need a little help. :p

Reddearmond said:
Very good. Are you using a pedal?

Post the patch would be great.

Cheers.

Jon

No pedal, just adjusted the attack. Although I've tried playing with a volume modifier an didn't think it really needed it, although the possibilties are endless.

3 Chord Rock said:
Thanks! And no, it's not a joke.
No joke? I have to admit it sounds so much more like a violin than anything else I have ever squeezed out of the Axe... not that I don't believe you, but if in a few days you say "fooled you all", I won't be surprised... ;-)

Seriously, all I ever got out of the Axe's synths has been laughable. To quote Java in another thread, it sounds like a Casio keyboard. I'm thankful I didn't buy the Ultra for its synth capabilities, because I would have returned it way before the end of the 15 day trial period. If you got your Ultra to make that violin track, you must have tremendous deep editing skills (and very good ears).
3 Chord Rock said:
Finally, I'm kinda a computer idiot. I got the patch in sysex format from the AXE to my computer but not sure how to share it from there. I used the old editor (Lars) to upload it...would that make a difference in how the information is stored since it isn't updated to 7.18. I'll get you guys the patch if you want for certain...I just may need a little help. :p
That's easy. If you reply to this thread, just look below your text entry window. First you should see a section with options, then the "Preview" and "Submit" buttons, and below that, you'll see a browser button to browse your PC's disk to look for the file in question. You can also add in some "file comments" and then you click on the "Add the file" button. Finally, you hit the "Submit" button and that should do it (I think?)

:shock: Impressive sound! Share the preset! Please!
I imagine a violin quartett rearranged for 4 ULTRAS :eek:
Micha

Dpoirier said:
If you got your Ultra to make that violin track, you must have tremendous deep editing skills (and very good ears).

Well, as I mentioned you do need to be careful how you play it or you'll get some weird sounds for certain, I don't know how to dial that out. So I use a bit different style than I usually do.

Thanks for the quick tutorial on the links, I'll have the patch up in just a minute or two. I've been busy making a quick vid for YouTube. Can you tell I've got to much time on my hands at the moment? :lol:

Anyway same crap playing, but here's a visual. I really need to learn to smile more while playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68y1gjEHiBM

AWESOME!!!!

Please, post the pach!

(Just thinking about how the Bach Chello Preludium in G-Major will
sound with this sound....)

Andreas

The reply box is telling me "The extension syx is not allowed." This is the way the file was uploaded to my computer with the old editor.

Do I need to convert the file?

It's giving me the same message when I try to upload the IR :?:

andi-o said:
Just pack it into a .zip file and it works!

I'm learning new stuff by the minute :lol: Never done that before. You should have seen me try to convert wave to mp3 this morning..that was a project.

So here's the preset guys (I hope) and the acoustic guitar IR.

I've set the preset up with the IR in user slot 9, so adjust as needed. You can try this without the IR but remember I found it so important for this sound, others came up interesting but nowhere as good. Also I don't know if using the old editor will change any parameters in the patch. The resonance filter is 100% default (wasn't really needed but seemed to sound cool), the reverb is default as well so the only block where there are major changes is the synth. I'll be glad to look at my settings to verify anything if someone needs it.

If someone downloads the patch an gets it working please post your result so I know all the info was sent properly. This is what happens when a construction worker tries to use a computer :lol:

Attachments

• 3cs violin Zip.zip
    436 bytes · Views: 1,708
  • Acoustic IR Zip.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 5,714
:eek: :shock:

If it wasn't for the video I'd be calling BULLSHIT!

I would call the patch 'Cello'... even the higher pitch notes have more of that rich cello timbre than that of a violin. imho

WOW! :shock:

Accept for a few things, probably related to technique, and not the Axe-FX, that is the most convincing faux Violin I've ever heard.

With that patch and some practice, you could really piss off some music professors I know.

You have got to post that patch, or at least the settings.

EDIT, I didn't notice the second page, I see the patch now.

Back
Top Bottom