something different... a gospel tune?!

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
Yup. Just finished this up. Working with a singer-songwriter, while still trying to get back to playing form after an auto accident last year. Anyway, this turned out alright, I think.

Recorded the "organ" part with a variation of M@'s preset. I'm playing that and the two electric parts.

It's a simple but meaningful song (particularly, if you knew the reason behind it).

And, this is one of my first real recordings in many years. Just started using Reaper, and finally starting to get the hang of it. I used a Korg D1600 and Samplitude before (coming up on about 10 years now since that time...)

I hope someone enjoys it. This isn't even really the kind of stuff I normally play (though that ranges from U2 to Opeth to classical guitar, which is what I really play).

Thank you!

Taylor was working with Marshall Brock of Reel 2 Reel (just 1 mile from our house!!!). He and some of the youth from our church made his album "Reflections of the Runaway". It's not all firmly in the Christian music genre, FWIW.

http://reflectionsoftherunaway.com/

I wanted to help take him beyond what had accomplished last year (and hopefully someday, re-record some of these songs!), and with his newer songs, I think he has a shot at getting noticed. I would loved to have played on his album, but I couldn't play for quite a while.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback. It's encouraging.

Last edited:
The other complete song we have finished:

For this one, I recorded the lead guitar direct with my Guild F50 with L. R. Baggs lyric with the AX8 using a preset I created. I also recorded the bass using a preset I made (hmm... might be a little heavy, actually).

G'day,

That's nice -
Hey is the vocal mixed just a little left of centre? What mic and signal flow was used for the vocal?
[edit] Scratch the left question - it was one of my monitors a little off position. :mad:
Keep going! :) Hope you're getting better.

thanks
Pauly

Yup. Just finished this up. Working with a singer-songwriter, while still trying to get back to playing form after an auto accident last year. Anyway, this turned out alright, I think.

Recorded the "organ" part with a variation of M@'s preset. I'm playing that and the two electric parts.

It's a simple but meaningful song (particularly, if you knew the reason behind it).

And, this is one of my first real recordings in many years. Just started using Reaper, and finally starting to get the hang of it. I used a Korg D1600 and Samplitude before (coming up on about 10 years now since that time...)

I hope someone enjoys it. This isn't even really the kind of stuff I normally play (though that ranges from U2 to Opeth to classical guitar, which is what I really play).

Thanks Pauly!

Not the vocal (mono, panned center), but the acoustic guitar signal was stronger on the left channel, although the slaps were stronger on the right. This was a weird mix to get right. I'll be recording differently next time. Best way to get stereo guitar is two omni-directional mics in an X/Y pattern, from my experience. That's how I recorded my guitar duo's 2nd album, Environs. It still sounds pretty good after all these years. Otherwise, to fill in space but still have a full guitar sound on both channels, two separate takes.

Just a Studio Projects C1 into a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. Nothing fancy at all. I do have two Grace Design 101 preamps. Just not set up for everything right now. So, it really was just a bit of work on my part, along with Taylor being a good singer. Very light pitch correction (Reapitch, I believe?), leveling (ReaComp), and some reverb using ReaVerb and a free IR. (I could really use the FAS reverb plugin!)

I was just happy to get that organ sound. I've never used any virtual instruments. I have much to learn!

G'day,

That's nice -
Hey is the vocal mixed just a little left of centre? What mic and signal flow was used for the vocal?
[edit] Scratch the left question - it was one of my monitors a little off position. :mad:
Keep going! :) Hope you're getting better.

thanks
Pauly

I was searching for recordings of organ sounds through AxeFX and stumbled on this thread. Not a comment for the organ, but just a general comment that I really enjoyed the first song. The singer definitely sounds plenty good enough to "make it big," and it's just a matter of whatever commitment and businessy stuff is required, along with luck, at this point. Good luck to him.

Thank you! I appreciate it a lot.

Of all things, the singer decided to record a different version with a completely different sound and feel at the Reel 2 Reel studio a mile from my house (at $60/hr instead my offer to do it for free).

Anyhoo... that's been par for the course with him. He's accepted a job in Montana!

Since then, I purchased the EHX B and C9 pedals. They are excellent, though I probably have to sell them. Note to self: Stop recording people for free... lol

Back
Top Bottom