Something Cool I've Been Working On

Is it FW13 or Axe III or IV or V or.... :D

This now awaits you:

naughty-step.jpg

I'll let the other members decide which level
yessmiley.gif

Or, to quote Frank Zappa: "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"

Keep up the deviant behavior!

So, I've been reading this thread, and only on page 19. But anyway, I had a really off the wall idea pop into my head. No idea if this would sound good, or even be possible as I don't know what kind of processing power it would take to accomplish this. But I got to thinking of the Low Frequencies tuned to the Speaker Cabinet.

Another way to look at it is to think in terms of formants. That particular speaker has a pronounced 80 Hz formant.

So different speakers resonant at different frequencies.

I got to thinking this morning about my EHX Frequency Analyzer which ring modulates off a given set carrier signal and how EHX has now come out with the Ring Thing which has a tune switch to adjust frequency to the pitch being played, which makes a ring mod more musical.

Then this video popped into my head: What is up with Noises? (The Science and Mathematics of Sound, Frequency, and Pitch) - YouTube
(Start around 11 minutes, but might want to back up to 10 for a little background. Honestly the entire video is interesting.)

So your brain can fake a low note depending on frequencies you hear. Could the idea of fooling your brain into believing a low frequency exists combined with a pitch tracking technique result in an IR that you could change the low resonant depending on the chord you are playing? A pseudo-self-tuning IR if you will.

Some might think, well, just use an octave down effect, but the effect would have to stay in the lower ranges, not just 1 octave down from any note. Maybe 2 octaves down at a certain note/s, 3 from another, and so on.

I would imagine it to be a new effect, and one that would either be amazing or equal to a fart IR.

Could the idea of fooling your brain into believing a low frequency exists combined with a pitch tracking technique result in an IR that you could change the low resonant depending on the chord you are playing? A pseudo-self-tuning IR if you will.

Some might think, well, just use an octave down effect, but the effect would have to stay in the lower ranges, not just 1 octave down from any note. Maybe 2 octaves down at a certain note/s, 3 from another, and so on.
So, a down-pitched harmony set to a specific octave?

Edit:
Chords are a different story, though. We'd need polyphonic pitch detection.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out the video. It's a good one.

As for varying the resonant frequency of an IR (or anything else), that's where wah comes from. :)

Yeah, that video blew my mind the first time I saw it. I was thinking down pitched harmony set to the lowest of the low and definitely polyphonic in a way. But not just an octave, the low sound being not even there, but just in a listener's mind due to how our brains process sound. If it ended up sounding like a wah that would suck, but the wah would be changing according to what is played, and that would be new and neat I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
So now we know this is in beta now, and in V13.0. CLAP, CLAP, CLAP.

Will this be a "purchased" upgrade ? I understand from this thread the AF2 can process both at any time, AWESOME.
Can we do anything to,prep,for this upgrade ? Clean up USER CAB Slots Perhaps ?

Thx

Will this be a "purchased" upgrade ?

Fractal has never, to date, charged for a firmware upgrade and there's no indication that's about to change so I would safely say "no", you won't have to pay to use the UltraRes CAB block technology.

HOWEVER you will need UltraRes IRs. Those may require you to pay your IR providers additional monies to obtain. I'm not sure what Kevin@OwnHammer's plans are or RedWirez. Both of those companies have done free upgrades to their bundles in the past, but UltraRes may be a lot of work for them...I suspect it depends on whether they have saved WAV IRs from their shoots that are long enough already or if they have to re-shoot IRs.

So I finally go to play the UltraRes stuff loud on Wednesday night at rehearsal and...oh my yup yes...definitely it sounds and feels different! Combine it with the dynamics improvements from the 12.04 beta and it's really something else to feel. I'd say the biggest problem I have now is the UltraRes stuff is showing the limitations of my EV LiveX speaker -- it's definitely not keeping up with the demand now. So this firmware update is going to generate a lot of peripheral business for IR companies and Atomic I guess! There needs to be a CLR in my future! :)

Fractal has never, to date, charged for a firmware upgrade and there's no indication that's about to change so I would safely say "no", you won't have to pay to use the UltraRes CAB block technology.

HOWEVER you will need UltraRes IRs. Those may require you to pay your IR providers additional monies to obtain. I'm not sure what Kevin@OwnHammer's plans are or RedWirez. Both of those companies have done free upgrades to their bundles in the past, but UltraRes may be a lot of work for them...I suspect it depends on whether they have saved WAV IRs from their shoots that are long enough already or if they have to re-shoot IRs.

So I finally go to play the UltraRes stuff loud on Wednesday night at rehearsal and...oh my yup yes...definitely it sounds and feels different! Combine it with the dynamics improvements from the 12.04 beta and it's really something else to feel. I'd say the biggest problem I have now is the UltraRes stuff is showing the limitations of my EV LiveX speaker -- it's definitely not keeping up with the demand now. So this firmware update is going to generate a lot of peripheral business for IR companies and Atomic I guess! There needs to be a CLR in my future! :)

So nice to hear. And so nice to own a pair of CLR NEOs that are UltraRes Ready! :)

Quite an audible difference. At least from my naive hear.

I listened to this on several sources and I just can't hear any difference whatsoever.

Maybe my hearing isn't as good as I thought. :(

I mean, at first I heard what I thought was a huge difference. But when I did a blind test with my friend, we were right 50% of the time.

This is the kind of difference i'm expecting in absence of any official examples, and what higher resolution provides from my experience:

High sample rate:

Current Res:

the difference is absolutely audible even on headphones!
i really like how the first one sounds, it has that "3D" sound i'm after and just can't get
using "standard IR's". i always knew it was an IR problem that everything sounded "mono"
(even both tracks are mono of course) or letzt say "centered".

the difference is absolutely audible even on headphones!
i really like how the first one sounds, it has that "3D" sound i'm after and just can't get
using "standard IR's". i always knew it was an IR problem that everything sounded "mono"
(even both tracks are mono of course) or letzt say "centered".
that's pretty much what we're currently noticing during our beta tests with some UltraRes IRs. all the frequencies seem to sound more "controlled" and sit where they are supposed to without using an EQ. if you listen careful to the second clip, the Lo Res version, you can hear the bass being a bit out of control, almost to the point where you'd like to reach for the bass control to adjust it, but that would just leave the sound with too little bass. in the HiRes clip, there's still bass, but it sits better. anyway, this just seems to confirm what we've been experiencing as well.

Back
Top Bottom