Someone want to check a preset for me?

iaresee

Administrator
So, there's this theory going that I heard from a Pete Thorn video that no matter the amp you tend to dial things in to sound like you. Bias is hard.

I'm trying to push my base gigging tone in a new direction. Something with less mid-range focus to it, a little brighter and deeper. This preset has a Hook 1A as the base, set fairly clean unless you've got mid- to higher-output pickups. There's an SDD and a Super OD to push it into light and higher overdrive directions respectively.

The rest of the blocks constitute my standard setup, more or less. Only scenes 1-5 are configured. Scene 5 is a volume swell preset, all the other presets have the expression pedal used for wah.

Try it out. Tell me what you think?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who can try it at or near gig volume levels with gigging speaker setups. I won't be able to check it loud until Wednesday night myself.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Captain Hook.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 20
I fired this up tonight, through studio monitors and headphones. I was only able to crank it in the headphones, so take my words with that grain of salt.

They're good tones. Can't go wrong with the Hook, right? :) They're definitely less mid-rangy than your usual stuff. More"modernish."

Scene 1 clean worked for both a Tele clone and an LP clone, though I think it favored the humbuckers. The SDD fit in nicely. I felt the Super OD sounded a little congested and blunt, and didn't cut as well. The swell in Scene 5 is nice and lush (how do you keep the Wah from engaging? I must be brain-farting something...). You must have special plans for Scene 3. There's an interesting wrestling match going on between the filter and the wah.

What kinds of music do you plan to apply this to?

I fired this up tonight, through studio monitors and headphones. I was only able to crank it in the headphones, so take my words with that grain of salt.
Thanks @Rex! That's my limitation this weekend as well -- can't play it loud.

They're good tones. Can't go wrong with the Hook, right? :) They're definitely less mid-rangy than your usual stuff. More"modernish."
Cool. Good to hear.

Scene 1 clean worked for both a Tele clone and an LP clone, though I think it favored the humbuckers. The SDD fit in nicely. I felt the Super OD sounded a little congested and blunt, and didn't cut as well.
Oh interesting on the Super OD. I'm trying really hard not to use one of my usually TS-808 settings here. But I'll try something other than the Super OD. A RAT or the Timothy seem like they might work well.

The swell in Scene 5 is nice and lush (how do you keep the Wah from engaging? I must be brain-farting something...). You must have special plans for Scene 3. There's an interesting wrestling match going on between the filter and the wah.
So the wah should be set to auto-engage on pedal motion. If you're on Scene 3 the filter is a Mu-Tron emulator and shouldn't be used with the wah. I'll have to double check the engage settings, I might have gotten them wrong.

Oh wait. Yup. I missing a mixer block which fixes the wah and volume happening at the same time in scene 5.

This is why we test. Sigh...

What kinds of music do you plan to apply this to?
Same as always: The Dead, Allman Brothers, Meters, Mr. Wonder, Mayer -- that kind of blues-rock-funk stuff my band does.

Since I've been using your Trey patches for a long time now (although less than I used to...) I'll be interested to try this one out. I use the Hook a lot these days... so versatile!

Oh interesting on the Super OD. I'm trying really hard not to use one of my usually TS-808 settings here. But I'll try something other than the Super OD. A RAT or the Timothy seem like they might work well.
It might be more the settings and not so much the Super OD. I didn't dig into it deeply enough to have an opinion.

Same as always: The Dead, Allman Brothers, Meters, Mr. Wonder, Mayer -- that kind of blues-rock-funk stuff my band does.
My first impulse is that your previous tones are hard to beat for those things. But more than once, I've been delightfully surprised when someone changed a flavor on a familiar piece of music, so don't give too much weight to my first impulse. :)

@Rex sometimes I just like to burn it all down and start fresh. :D

v2 is attached!
  • I fixed Scene 5 -- there's a VOL block after the WAH on row 1 now that'll mute the output from the WAH.
  • Went with 3-knob Tube Driver for DRV 2

Attachments

• Captain Hook v2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
@Rex sometimes I just like to burn it all down and start fresh. :D

v2 is attached!
  • I fixed Scene 5 -- there's a VOL block after the WAH on row 1 now that'll mute the output from the WAH.
  • Went with 3-knob Tube Driver for DRV 2
And Scene 2 lives! Authority and definition. Tasty.

I'm still getting some artifact when pumping EXP1 in Scene 3.

Back
Top Bottom