Someone used neural networks to upscale a famous 1896 video to 4k quality

They should have colorized it while they were at it. This is pretty basic stuff nowadays, although it does take a fair bit of engineering and compute to get such results. Basically any image processing or recognition you can do frame-by-frame is pretty straightforward for someone up to date with the field. Anything with a temporal component, where you have to model dependencies between the frames, as well as the long term "flow" of things is still pretty darn hard though. Needless to say, DSP is quite heavy on the "temporal component".

That is very cool! Reading the article I wasn't surprised to see he did it with Topaz Labs "Gigapixel AI". I've been reading a lot about the Topaz Lab suite of AI image processing tools over the last few months and they are off-the-hook astounding with what they can do with images. "Gigapixel AI" is a freak of nature; the before/after demos on the web site are simply amazing...almost scary what it can do.

I own several Topaz Labs photo processing plug-ins and can attest to their effectiveness; their AI stuff is at another level though...this kind of processing magic is just getting going and I'm excited to see what's coming in the next while. Game changing stuff, definitely.

It's not really "processing" in the old sense of the word. It makes up detail that's not there in the first place.

The visuals are impressive. Pity about the soundtrack they’ve, which has the reverberation of an enclosed station building.

If you haven't seen it, they did some insane conversion of old WW1 footage in "They Shall Not Grow Old."

Here's some examples of the restoration:

They should do that with WW2 footage as well. While less jerky, a little better in quality and sometimes with audio it does have that unreal black & white quality to it. There's a reason why modern day photographers still like to use B&W, because it gives a more artistic unreal quality to a picture. While with war footage, when you want to show people what it was really like, color and detail works better then artistic unreal.

That is very cool! Reading the article I wasn't surprised to see he did it with Topaz Labs "Gigapixel AI". I've been reading a lot about the Topaz Lab suite of AI image processing tools over the last few months and they are off-the-hook astounding with what they can do with images. "Gigapixel AI" is a freak of nature; the before/after demos on the web site are simply amazing...almost scary what it can do.

I own several Topaz Labs photo processing plug-ins and can attest to their effectiveness; their AI stuff is at another level though...this kind of processing magic is just getting going and I'm excited to see what's coming in the next while. Game changing stuff, definitely.
I just got my hands on a smokin new Mac Pro....I am going to download the demo of Gigapixel AI and see what it can do...thanks for the tIp

Scary stuff, IMO. In the wrong hands, we can change history.

Too late for that.
Lenin%27s_speech.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Lenin's_speech.jpg

Also
2009-08-20-bms074.jpg

https://www.bluemilkspecial.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2009-08-20-bms074.jpg

I just got my hands on a smokin new Mac Pro....I am going to download the demo of Gigapixel AI and see what it can do...thanks for the tIp
this thing is nigh onto miraculous ...I've already purchased it ...easily converts (in seconds )any image to 6K screen size with scary detail. As seen here

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0_mMRgNBX-PQvmDVYaitjM1ag

check it out ...
http://topazlabs.refr.cc/bradlake. (full disclosure, if you end up buying Gigapixel AI thru this link I make a tenner ( and you get 15%off , which I didn't get.... ..and then you get a referral link to use for yourself...pretty shrewd marketing methinks..) hope this doesn't overstep my non-vendor rights. ....IMG_0390.jpeg
This is the 6K image shrunk back down to postable
size with full resolution.......
74F5D83E-3241-481A-9CB3-DAF6EF51BF51-gigapixel-gigapixel.jpeg
BTW.....Coming to a screen near you.......................................
SOON!! :p :cool:

Last edited:
The "Before" flick in the OP is not the real "Before" flick from the posted link.
This is the real "Before" film (an already restored version from a few years ago):

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom