Someone really needs to make an IR of an EV loaded cab!!!

dk_ace

Experienced
These speakers have been extensively used by a number of important artists, and we don't really have anything like them in the AFX.

I'd make one if I had a cab with them, but I don't. Does anyone have access to a good EV loaded cab they could make an IR of?

D

dk_ace said:
These speakers have been extensively used by a number of important artists, and we don't really have anything like them in the AFX.
Yes, you do. My 2x12 Clean IRs were taken from a cabinet loaded with speakers that are near-identical in specification and sound to EVM-12Ls. That's specifically why I took IRs of a cab loaded with those transducers.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="dk_ace":36z6ah1c]These speakers have been extensively used by a number of important artists, and we don't really have anything like them in the AFX.
Yes, you do. My 2x12 Clean IRs were taken from a cabinet loaded with speakers that are near-identical in specification and sound to EVM-12Ls. That's specifically why I took IRs of a cab loaded with those transducers.[/quote:36z6ah1c]

Hmmm, I missed that somewhere. I was thinking that cab IR was Eminence Legend 12GB's. I don't know where I dreamed that up. I'll have to fire those up next week when I get a chance to do some more patch building.

My motivation for this is that I'm wanting to make an SRV patch or two, and that speaker was a big part of his sound.

D

Until yesterday I actually hadn't gotten into the whole IR business...tried to upload a few with the editor and worked 'right out of the box'. Only tried a few and wasn't really blown away, but like I said, only tried a few.

When downloading the IR from NoiseVault, I assume they are .wavs...Is it easy to get them into the correct Axe format ???

Can anything be done wrong during conversion ?

VegaBaby said:
Until yesterday I actually hadn't gotten into the whole IR business...tried to upload a few with the editor and worked 'right out of the box'. Only tried a few and wasn't really blown away,
You shouldn't expect to be "blown away" by well-done IRs of real cabs. In fact, when you try a new IR with a preset that has been tweaked for another one, you'll have to spend some time re-tweaking before you'll even be able to tell if the new IR is going to work for you. This is no different than the process that is required to evaluate a new physical cab or replacement transducers.

As with so many elements of guitar sound, a speaker/cab by itself - either a physical one or a virtual one - is very seldom a magic bullet. And, even if it is, you can't know that until you've adapted your amp settings to work with that speaker.

If all you do with the cab block is cycle through different sims with no changes to the amp settings, you'll never know the sonic potential of any of the sims, including any user IRs you've uploaded to your Axe-Fx.

Jay Mitchell said:
VegaBaby said:
Until yesterday I actually hadn't gotten into the whole IR business...tried to upload a few with the editor and worked 'right out of the box'. Only tried a few and wasn't really blown away,
You shouldn't expect to be "blown away" by well-done IRs of real cabs. In fact, when you try a new IR with a preset that has been tweaked for another one, you'll have to spend some time re-tweaking before you'll even be able to tell if the new IR is going to work for you. This is no different than the process that is required to evaluate a new physical cab or replacement transducers.

As with so many elements of guitar sound, a speaker/cab by itself - either a physical one or a virtual one - is very seldom a magic bullet. And, even if it is, you can't know that until you've adapted your amp settings to work with that speaker.

If all you do with the cab block is cycle through different sims with no changes to the amp settings, you'll never know the sonic potential of any of the sims, including any user IRs you've uploaded to your Axe-Fx.

You're absolutely right, Jay. I definitely need and will spend more time with. Like I said, I only just tried it and was quite happy that it actually worked straight away ;) .

Still, I sometimes choose the 'right' cab by flicking through them to hear their EQ response and if it's in the right ballpark then I start tweeking. So many cool things to do...so little time :lol:

VegaBaby said:
Still, I sometimes choose the 'right' cab by flicking through them to hear their EQ response and if it's in the right ballpark then I start tweeking.
That will always be a crapshoot. Since, at any given time, you will have tweaked your settings to sound best to you with what's already there, it tends to favor speakers that have similar responses to the one you're using with that preset at the time.

Back
Top Bottom