Rectifier ✅ , now let’s talk about the noise gate

@My name is mud I gave it another try. This time with my Tremoverb (Rev G). I have a feeling the model was made using the Tube Rectifier setting on the back. Once I flipped that switch on my ToV, the response was a lot closer. I think Cliff's reference amp is a particularly scooped Dual Rec. I had to boost quite a lot of midrange frequencies in the amp block's GEQ page to get it close. I'm sure I could still get it closer, but this is pretty close to my ears.

Every section/progression is played twice. The first one is the Tremoverb and the second is the Recto 1 Red model.

This time, amp settings were pretty similar for the amp and the model except for the GEQ page and raising the preamp's high frequency cut up to 11.7k. Here are the GEQ settings if it's helpful:
Type: 7-Band Const Q
100: -1.00
200: 0.25
400: 1.65
800: 2.80
1600: 2.00
3200: 0.60
6400: 0.20

Edit: The video you referenced used a Creamback speaker, so I used an M65 Creamback IR for this one. It's not the same model and mine is in a 2x12 cabinet, but it should be a little closer than the Mesa 4x12 I used in the first clip. This clip wasn't trying to get the video's tone (I think their cabinet may have been mic'ed up in a closet since it's got a TON of low-mid buildup likely due to reflections), so it's not apples to apples... just seeing if the Recto 1 Red model could get close to a real 2-Channel Rev G head.

Ha! I prefer this one ! The head is more dynamic, but it’s better

Concerning the chop’ video, the thing is that listening to it, it reminds me immediately the sound of the head. And when I tweak the one in the axe, it doesn’t.

The 7 band eq tweak you do is more then a « knob component variation ».
That’s why people are funny sometimes, saying you can find a non existent amp with tweaks, but if you don’t have the real deal at home, good luck to find it . In this case we have it normally, but … maybe it needs some revision 😅.

Last edited:
@My name is mud I gave it another try. This time with my Tremoverb (Rev G). I have a feeling the model was made using the Tube Rectifier setting on the back. Once I flipped that switch on my ToV, the response was a lot closer. I think Cliff's reference amp is a particularly scooped Dual Rec. I had to boost quite a lot of midrange frequencies in the amp block's GEQ page to get it close. I'm sure I could still get it closer, but this is pretty close to my ears.

Every section/progression is played twice. The first one is the Tremoverb and the second is the Recto 1 Red model.

This time, amp settings were pretty similar for the amp and the model except for the GEQ page and raising the preamp's high frequency cut up to 11.7k. Here are the GEQ settings if it's helpful:

Edit: The video you referenced used a Creamback speaker, so I used an M65 Creamback IR for this one. It's not the same model and mine is in a 2x12 cabinet, but it should be a little closer than the Mesa 4x12 I used in the first clip. This clip wasn't trying to get the video's tone (I think their cabinet may have been mic'ed up in a closet since it's got a TON of low-mid buildup likely due to reflections), so it's not apples to apples... just seeing if the Recto 1 Red model could get close to a real 2-Channel Rev G head.

What song are you playing in the middle of that clip? I like it

I always felt weird running Silicon Diodes instead of tube rectifier, when the name is Dual Recto, but it sounded way better to my ears and felt better to my fingers.

Ha! I prefer this one ! The head is more dynamic, but it’s better

Concerning the chop’ video, the thing is that listening to it, it reminds me immediately the sound of the head. And when I tweak the one in the axe, it doesn’t.

The 7 band eq tweak you do is more then a « knob component variation ».
That’s why people are funny sometimes, saying you can find a non existent amp with tweaks, but if you don’t have the real deal at home, good luck to find it . In this case we have it normally, but … maybe it needs some revision 😅.
It may have to do with the actual reference amp. I’ve had six 2-channel Dual Recs over the years and they all had their own personality… kinda like with Marshalls how you can get a holy grail or a lemon or an amp. Some amps are really close to the real ones I have, like my 5150 is nearly identical to the 6160 Block, and my Soldano Avenger (SLO lead channel) is really close to the Solo 100 Lead model. And then some amps need a little more tweaking to match like the Dual Rec or the JCM Slash (Jubilee).

What song are you playing in the middle of that clip? I like it
Thanks! I wasn’t playing any particular song… just messing with some chords. I’m glad you liked it though.

I always felt weird running Silicon Diodes instead of tube rectifier, when the name is Dual Recto, but it sounded way better to my ears and felt better to my fingers.
Dual Rectifier just means that it has two rectifying options. Tube (Normal) and solid state Silicon Diodes (Hi Power). I always liked Silicon Diodes with 6L6s and Tube with EL34s. They’re cool amps!

Yeah, for the brootalz silicon is the way. :) For clean and vintage overdriven tones I like the Tube option. It
was nice to see that they added that switchable feature to the MNark V when it was released, as the Mark IV
didn't allow you to switch Rectifier options.

It may have to do with the actual reference amp. I’ve had six 2-channel Dual Recs over the years and they all had their own personality… kinda like with Marshalls how you can get a holy grail or a lemon or an amp. Some amps are really close to the real ones I have, like my 5150 is nearly identical to the 6160 Block, and my Soldano Avenger (SLO lead channel) is really close to the Solo 100 Lead model. And then some amps need a little more tweaking to match like the Dual Rec or the JCM Slash (Jubilee).

Thanks! I wasn’t playing any particular song… just messing with some chords. I’m glad you liked it though.

Dual Rectifier just means that it has two rectifying options. Tube (Normal) and solid state Silicon Diodes (Hi Power). I always liked Silicon Diodes with 6L6s and Tube with EL34s. They’re cool amps!

Attachments

• Silicon Diodes.png
    Silicon Diodes.png
    570.1 KB · Views: 22
@My name is mud

Edit: The video you referenced used a Creamback speaker, so I used an M65 Creamback IR for this one.
That pack was exactly what I was looking for my Dual Recto Rev G, and you sold me. I love the YA MES 412 OS 121-5 mic, but I really couldn't get a raw recto sound that didn't sound it was already mixed. Now if Russia would just start selling replacement power tubes again because I've been running two tubes for almost a year now.

Last edited:
I checked the original amp list wiki on the Rectifier couldn’t find out if the Rectos are modeled with the tube rectification on.

Definitely would be nice to know.

Try this bundle I threw together. Parametric EQ 2 Ch A is set up for my PRS 594 McCarty SC. It has very low output humbuckers. PEQ Ch B is set up for my PRS Silver Sky with very low output single coils. Hope it at least gives some ideas. The far field cabs can be very cool when blended in.
the attached link dont work in my axe 3, probably because I have a mk1

I checked the original amp list wiki on the Rectifier couldn’t find out if the Rectos are modeled with the tube rectification on.

Definitely would be nice to know.
yes , same I was thinking if he modelled the JP2C with the graphic EQ on or off last time

there is still difference, mainly in attack of the tremoverb being more immediate and punchy and the overal sound while palm mutting has more muscle and energy. Maybe with diodes it would be closer as you say, but the difference is obvious :)

The chop video tone sounds horrible to me, like bassy and overtones, no bite. Like a bar band rig that sounds ok during soundcheck but you never hear the guitars all night. To each their own!

The chop video tone sounds horrible to me, like bassy and overtones, no bite. Like a bar band rig that sounds ok during soundcheck but you never hear the guitars all night. To each their own!
Have you ever played a recto? It sound like that when you play in front of it.
The recto is probably one of the only amp that you will always hear on stage 😅. In a band with a guy with a recto and the other guitarist with a Marshall peavey or whatever, the one you will not hear is never the one with a recto 👍🏻. The presence of this amp is unbeaten live or in the practice room

Have you ever played a recto? It sound like that when you play in front of it.
The recto is probably one of the only amp that you will always hear on stage 😅. In a band with a guy with a recto and the other guitarist with a Marshall peavey or whatever, the one you will not hear is never the one with a recto 🤣. The presence of this amp is unbeaten live or in the practice room
IME, everytime we played the show or I watched someone with marshall vs mesa rig in one band, the "marshall based amps" cut through the mix better because of those hi mids, vs low mids in mesa, diezels, and many other modern amps. Even though the recto has this nastiness and presence which helps live, it is much higher in frequency vs the high mids, therefore recto was always more ear fatiguing, while marshall type amps more in line with whole band mix. But on their own, I for sure like more mesa vs marshall. YMMV

Rectifiers will bleed more into the cymbals from the drums I bet. They seem to sound great live though, tons of metal bands use them. Trick in my opinion is to use speakers that are more flat in that context.

Bands back in the day a lot in metal were running Vader cabs, those are very flat sounding. The newer Eminence DV-77 is an incredible compliment to Rectifiers it seems. Lets you run the presence higher on the recto without that super nasty quality.

IME, everytime we played the show or I watched someone with marshall vs mesa rig in one band, the "marshall based amps" cut through the mix better because of those hi mids, vs low mids in mesa, diezels, and many other modern amps. Even though the recto has this nastiness and presence which helps live, it is much higher in frequency vs the high mids, therefore recto was always more ear fatiguing, while marshall type amps more in line with whole band mix. But on their own, I for sure like more mesa vs marshall. YMMV
Depends the music genre etc. I like bass frequencies and massive riffs. I don’t like high frequencies at high level and razor like sounds, never like to play a Marshall at high volume, my ears bleed . When you do a palm mute with a recto at high volume it’s like a Hartley Davidson 😅.

But yeah the axe remove the impact of the original and the typical rawness ( a little bit hm) so if people said that the original don’t mix, imagine it with less impact…

Depends the music genre etc. I like bass frequencies and massive riffs. I don’t like high frequencies at high level and razor like sounds, never like to play a Marshall at high volume, my ears bleed . When you do a palm mute with a recto at high volume it’s like a Hartley Davidson 😅.

But yeah the axe remove the impact of the original and the typical rawness, so if people said that the original don’t mix, imagine it with less impact…
of course. it also depends how you EQ the amp, I can make recto sounds amazeballs IMO :)

here´s mine :

but if you don´t know how to operate it, it can sound like the worst amp ever, that´s for sure, it´s tricky beast :)
and I agree with you, fractal´s recto is not close at all to the real one - I hope @FractalAudio sends his regards with A/B test sounding the same, but that´s just not the case when u use recto sim with real cab, exactly for lack of rawness and the other reasons you mentioned :)

of course. it also depends how you EQ the amp, I can make recto sounds amazeballs IMO :)

here´s mine :

but if you don´t know how to operate it, it can sound like the worst amp ever, that´s for sure, it´s tricky beast :)
and I agree with you, fractal´s recto is not close at all to the real one - I hope @FractalAudio sends his regards with A/B test sounding the same, but that´s just not the case when u use recto sim with real cab, exactly for lack of rawness and the other reasons you mentioned :)

Holy grail of guitar tone right there, my man.

Back
Top Bottom