Somebody stop me! (getting my MASK on) ... Boogie MK V Combo

plyall

Power User
Hey folks -

So I have been a deliriously happy Axe-FX II user for about 4 years. I use it with a pair of CLR cabs (not wedges), and an MFC-101. So far so good.

After all this time, I've started playing in a band again. We're in early days, so I haven't gone too crazy, but I did order a wireless - the Shure GLX-D (the head version, not the pedal version). I had enough when I face planted one of my PRS McCartys by tripping on the cable.

I have also been looking at a Boogie combo - a Mk V. It seems so versatile, and it's capable of low wattage, that it looks like it may be the panacea of amps. I thought it might make a better grab-n-go option than the Axe and the CLRs. I've heard one owner say that he went back to Marshalls because the Boogie doesn't compress as nicely. Any other thoughts on that?

Because I have an Axe-FX, I'm able to use some of the effects to tasteful advantage. I use 12 strings (pitch), leslies, chorus, etc. I wonder how I would do this with the Boogie? I know it has a loop, but still I may have to buy a lot of external F/X to duplicate the handful I use in the Axe. I have an old Korg A-2 that I could use in the loop, but that still wouldn't get me everything available on the Axe. So, some questions:

1. How good is the Mark V? How versatile? Does it sound good at lower levels, or does it need to scream (that would not be good). Looking to folks who own it and the Axe to comment.
  2. Should I just forget the Boogie and work with the Axe? Not having bought an amp in over 4 years (in fact, I sold most of them), I am experiencing wicked GAS for the Boogie.
  3. If I do go with the Boogie, what's the best bang for the buck effects wise? I know the Strymons are exceptional, but add a couple of those and you're out another $1k.
  4. Somebody please STOP me!
Thanks!

I have a Mark V head and an AxeFx. The V sounds awesome even at low volumes, but, if your looking for versatility, stick with your AxeFx. You can also consider the 4CM with the V combo for your effects.

Dude, only your ears can tell you if the Boogie will sound like what you need for any future adventure. With all of the excellent sounds available, and tweakability, in the Axe, I'll never go back. I do still own my original Mark IIC-, and on occasion pull it out to peel some paint off of the walls, but no tube amp is as flexible as the Axe. I think you already know the answer is to use your Axe, and I know how it is when the GAS hits, but you'll be wishing you hadn't in short order. Ok, back down off the soap box. Good luck! Cheers,

Le

1. I've had the V for about 3 years and AxeFx for similar. I still use the V for all of my jams and gigging, I never got round to using the Axe for more than practice because I find the Mesa to work in just about every setting and genre I can throw at it, so I don't have much motivation.
2. That's up to you. I couldn't live without my V but I could probably get by without my Axe.
3. I use the FX8, which is beyond amazing. All of my channel and EQ changes automated into my effects, it's a dream come true. If you don't want to spend that much then the GT100 has excellent effects, if not very imaginative.
4. Shan't.

Last edited:
I have a Mark V head and an AxeFx. The V sounds awesome even at low volumes, but, if your looking for versatility, stick with your AxeFx. You can also consider the 4CM with the V combo for your effects.
Thanks - that's worth considering!

Dude, only your ears can tell you if the Boogie will sound like what you need for any future adventure. With all of the excellent sounds available, and tweakability, in the Axe, I'll never go back. I do still own my original Mark IIC-, and on occasion pull it out to peel some paint off of the walls, but no tube amp is as flexible as the Axe. I think you already know the answer is to use your Axe, and I know how it is when the GAS hits, but you'll be wishing you hadn't in short order. Ok, back down off the soap box. Good luck! Cheers,

Le

Thanks Lee - the voice of reason in the chaos!

... ahh ... ahem ... hmmm... I just did that too! 2005 PRS McCarty with a 10 top. Anybody need a fantastic Godin LGX-SA? What about a Roland GR-55 MIDI guitar unit ... ;)

I have a boogie mark v head that i bought 2 years back , it was my first tube amp and honestly i was struggling a lot to find a good tone that i was looking for for a while . After discovering the AXE FX my mark v been sitting on the 2x12 Cab and havent been touched in a while. But its an awesome amp i cant deny that but i realise it wasnt for me and am so happy of my axe fx and i can still get some awesome mark iv and iic+ tone from it . Hope this help

I have a mesa dual rectifier, triple rectifier, mark iv and mark v. I love them, I saved for them and they were my pride and joy but the reality is that once I got the axe fx and started to really get the hang of it, I literally never turn the other amps on. And I have been a tube nut for years.

From a post a few weeks ago -

Well I dug out my Mesa Boogie mark V combo (hardwood cab) and plugged in my guitar and gave it a bit of a workout. Then I plugged into my Axe fx and eminance cab (1x12) with the USA Amp block and gave it a spin, after that I put my boogie back in its case - I may sell it.
The boogie combo sounded very boxy, the axe fx sounded warm and full.

I had a Mark V when i was playing with an Ultra, and i was keeping it becouse i wasn´t 100% happy with the results of the Axe.

Now i have my Axe II and i sold the Mark V long ago.:)

I've had my Boogie MkV since 2009, as well as several other excellent Boogie amps.
I got an Axe Ultra in Nov. 2009 and then an Axe II in March 2013. The Boogie MkV is a great amp,
but I haven't used it live since 2011. I do use it at home for practice. But the Axe can do so
many things so well I just can't see lugging around any amp to a gig.
Having said that, I do carry a Mesa TA-15 as a backup to every gig in case of Axe failure.

Only thought I could offer is that I would be far more inclined to use the Axe FX/CLR rig (which is what I have and use) where volume constraints apply vs. anything along the lines of a high powered amp like a Mark IV. But running an amp like that w/ the master volume turned down low may work great for you. Not really my thing.. Versatility is another thing, but I think something like a Mark IV can cover a lot of ground too. Unless someone is using a different amp/preset in the Axe for each song in a set, but I can't imagine doing that.. night mare for the mix, pa etc.

All this said, I used my old Super Reverb and some pedals for one rehearsal and then my Axe FX/CLR's for the one after that recently. So I like to switch it up.

Edit: Sorry I meant to write "Mark V" above..

Last edited:
For small gigs or rehearsal, the rackbag plus one CLR is still more of a hassle than a 1x12 combo amp with no effects. But I still did it because that's the way I am. It comes down to laziness/ease vs. sound possibilities. It's funny that some big roadshow super-musicians might be used to cases full of amps and racks of gear and the AxeFx seems small. For the li'l weenies like me it's just the opposite when you factor in the monitors :)

I had serious GAS over a Lazy J for ages but then I tried appeasing this by messing about with the AxeFX to get similar tones .... started great by using the Fender amp models and then somehow I ended up in the Marshalls and Bognors having fun doing tones nowhere near the Lazy J's ..... so the AxeFX saved my bank account some abuse :)

I owned a MKV head along with a 4x12 recto cab for a quite some time, it was my dream amp, I sold my Triple Rec to purchase it ( never liked the triple rec) Then I decided to purchase an Axe FX II XL+ along with two xitone wedges, after that my amp setup just sat under its cover taking up space. Took the plunge and sold it and never looked back, I get the urge now and again to purchase a tube amp but just remind myself that I owned my dream amp already and it sat there unused.

My own GAS has been acting up lately and I was about to buy a Mark V:25 off a friend because it sounds awesome and is super versatile. But I didn't because you know....I have an Axe FX. And it sounds just as good if not better and is waaaayyy more versatile.

Back
Top Bottom