Somebody is getting a pair of Atomic CLR's for Christmas!

Somebody is going to get 2 Atomic Powered Wedges for Christmas?
That someone is ME! I think the e-mails are going out any day for the waiting list. I have 2 Powered Wedges coming as I missed the last run (I was NEXT on the list before they ran out) so I was near the top for this next one. I have been waiting it seems like almost 6 months? I am getting the standard powered wedges. They are making a new Neo Light version, but I do not think those are available for this next new shipment coming in any day and I am a home player anyway, so it doesn't matter to me at all.

I was originally getting just 1, but decided 2 will be better and allow me to hear the stereo sounds that are available in the AFX-II. I have been playing out of either a pair of Equator D5 studio Monitors, and a pair of Pre Sonus E8 studio monitors just in my office.

These things are so hard to get I figured I better get 2 now, plus I could always return one IF I wanted, but I am sure that won't happen. I hope I will notice a huge difference from playing out of my 5" and 8" studio monitors. I should!

I have several guitars and they all sound different on the AFX-II. I have a 2001 Pearl Red Ernice Ball Music Man Luke with EMG's, an Ibanez JEM LAVA with Duncan Distortions, a few Charvels (So Cal and a Wild Card #5 the sunburst one), and just got a 2013 LUKE with EMG's that I haven't even played.

I am mostly a rock player and like everything from 80's metal, to U2 and everything in-between. I was fortunate to see Andy Timmons on December 6th in McKinney TX play Sgt Pepper Live along with his other favorites to a crowd of 40 people. It was supposed to be packed but Dallas got hit with a huge Ice Storm so most couldn't get there, but I drove over an hour in the ice to see him and he was amazing as always!

Anyway, I just updated to the new Firmware, Version 12.2 tonight and I anticipate getting the Atromics likely a week or so before Christmas. My expectations are set high, but I have just been playing out of studio monitors at bedroom levels, so I am sure these are going to sound better and I heard they sound good at quieter volumes as well, BUT, can peel paint if needed.

Any suggestions, let me know. I got the wedges because they are the most versatile IMO as they can point up at your face, or you can put them on stands, so they cover lots of bases and I am told they are awesome Monitors (Like HUGE studio Monitos) as well as great PA speakers. I just sold my Mackie SRM 450 Version 2 a few months back and the AFX-II sounded poor out of those to me.

I am excited and just wanted to share. I will give my unprofessional opinion after I play through them.

I guess this is going to be a nice Christmas this year!

Tex........

You're going to hear things in your tone you didn't know were there. They are also just great for vocals, acoustic instruments, and definitely for listening to your favorite songs and mixes. Enjoy!

Congrats man.

Excitement gives you inspiration, inspiration makes you wanna play more, play more and you get to be a better player, be a better player excites you etc etc

That`s a good loop ;)

Great news! Mine are just growing on me, they are really what brings the Axe FX to life for me now. Finally I get that same sound in the room as I get out of my high-end headphones through a dedicated DAC/headphone amp - at any volume I want! :mrgreen

I was at the Dutch Axefest, where I think some guys were quite impressed with Yek's CLRs when they got to test them. And I think you made the right choice about getting 2 for stereo. Anand made that clear also during the Axefest: Check out this video, at 23:07 :eagerness:

I also used studio monitors before the CLRs, and now I use them together with the CLRs. I connect the CLRs to "Output 1" XLR, and the studio monitors to "Output 1" 1/4in with a pair of 1/4in-XLR-cables. I have the studio monitors on stands in front of me, and the CLRs in wedge position to my left and right. My man cave is like Wembley Stadium now 8)

Wow, that sounds like a cool set up!

I have run across several posts where people don't like them? I am slightly concerned, but again, I was playing out of studio monitors, so this has to be a huge step up!

I would like to say that Tom King is a great guy too! Remember, he wants to communicate with everyone, but gets hundreds of e-mails daily, and it takes him time. Plus, he works all day too! LOL

Anyone else want to tell me how great these are? Feel Free!

I play mostly distorted tones (I love everything, but when I just pick up the guitar to Jam, that is where I go), so I am hoping the CLR's are the right choice for that type of playing. I see where some love the Matrix GT1000 & the NL12, but i am hoping these CLR's can do everything they do and more. I don't need anything special, I just want to plug in my Axe-FX II to them the FIRST time, turm on a stock Axe-FX II patch I like, and say , WOW, this sounds amazing.

If want to plug these in and hit a power chord or a complex chord where you want it to sound distorted, BUT, ring out, and hear each individual note with clarity. I want to hit a Pinch Harmonic and it scream, I want to turn on a clean patch and it sound amazing.

Is that asking too much?

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds like a cool set up!

I have run across several posts where people don't like them? I am slightly concerned, but again, I was playing out of studio monitors, so this has to be a huge step up!

I would like to say that Tom King is a great guy too! Remember, he wants to communicate with everyone, but gets hundreds of e-mails daily, and it takes him time. Plus, he works all day too! LOL

Anyone else want to tell me how great these are? Feel Free!

I play mostly distorted tones (I love everything, but when I just pick up the guitar to Jam, that is where I go), so I am hoping the CLR's are the right choice for that type of playing. I see where some love the Matrix GT1000 & the NL12, but i am hoping these CLR's can do everything they do and more. I don't need anything special, I just want to plug in my Axe-FX II to them the FIRST time, turm on a stock Axe-FX II patch I like, and say , WOW, this sounds amazing.

If want to plug these in and hit a power chord or a complex chord where you want it to sound distorted, BUT, ring out, and hear each individual note with clarity. I want to hit a Pinch Harmonic and it scream, I want to turn on a clean patch and it sound amazing.

Is that asking too much?

Nope - it's not too much to ask. It's your God given right! Enjoy! :encouragement:

Ba Ba Booey (I see you're from New york / New Jersey) .....:mrgreen Howard used to be on in Dallas a long time ago before he went to XM. Fa Fa Flunky.

OK, back to the Atomics. Someone please tell me I am going to love them, and preferably someone who owns them. Again, I am playing at HOME, so I am not sure if that matters in terms of what I need. Portability, and weight are NOT important, etc etc.

I just want a great sound at low to medium volumes and be able to crank it up every now and then when my girls (wife and 4 year old) leave the house. On a seperate note, I talked to Fractal Audio Brian (Nice guy) and I hope the MFC-101 will be here by the end of December. I have been waiting I believe 6 months now for one of those things. I REALLY need to learn how to use my AFX-II. I haven't read the manual and haven't even created a Patch from Scratch. Hey that Rhymes:mrgreen.
OK, why not?

In Rap Mode "I want to make, a patch from scratch, If I have a plan, want it to Hatch, They call me Tex, I'm here to please, but a 6 month wait?, Golly Geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz, I ain't no scientist, ain't packing a Beaker, I'm sick and tired of waiting for my SPEAKERS, That's the end of the story, it's the end of my rhyme,
When I'm rocking Atomics. Twill be So Sublime!"

Thannk You Folks, Thank You, Thank you very much!:roll WTF was that all about???:lol

OK, keep the comments coming. On a serious note I told Brian they should make some videos (he said DVD's are basically obselete as people go to the web to watch videos) on how to use the AFX-II. I mean Cliff is the expert and I know this thing is complex, but maybe just a video series of the basics and then some advanced programming parameters, tips, and tricks. It is much easier to SEE a video step by step with a close up of the menus and what buttons to press etc, etc,. He said there are some decent videos on You Tube, and there are, but I wish it was a little more complete.

I guess it is up to ME to spend time with this thing, which I lOVE to do, but a job, a wife, and a young daughter don't always leave much time to do that. The Atomics I HOPE will sound so good they will inspire me to play! I already have played MORE in the last 6 months, since I got my AFX-II, than I have in the last few years probably. It's quick, easy, and sounds great.

Man I jumped all over the place on this post, but you guys are smart and I'm sure can navigate the turns. Dallas had a huge ice storm the last 3-4 days, so I was likley suffering from cabin fever. I couldn't get out of my damn driveway because it is steep and was stuck at home over the wqeekend.

Much Appreciated Y'all

Tex

So who else has received their email? Are they still going out, or has everyone on the list received theirs as of today?

So who else has received their email? Are they still going out, or has everyone on the list received theirs as of today?

I just ordered two Active Atomic cabs a few minutes ago. I went on the list first of August. When you receive your email you have a couple of days to act on it before it expires, so keep checking. I am parting ways with my QSC K10s more than likely.

Ba Ba Booey (I see you're from New york / New Jersey) .....:mrgreen Howard used to be on in Dallas a long time ago before he went to XM. Fa Fa Flunky.

OK, back to the Atomics. Someone please tell me I am going to love them, and preferably someone who owns them. Again, I am playing at HOME, so I am not sure if that matters in terms of what I need. Portability, and weight are NOT important, etc etc.

I just want a great sound at low to medium volumes and be able to crank it up every now and then when my girls (wife and 4 year old) leave the house. On a seperate note, I talked to Fractal Audio Brian (Nice guy) and I hope the MFC-101 will be here by the end of December. I have been waiting I believe 6 months now for one of those things. I REALLY need to learn how to use my AFX-II. I haven't read the manual and haven't even created a Patch from Scratch. Hey that Rhymes:mrgreen.
OK, why not?

In Rap Mode "I want to make, a patch from scratch, If I have a plan, want it to Hatch, They call me Tex, I'm here to please, but a 6 month wait?, Golly Geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz, I ain't no scientist, ain't packing a Beaker, I'm sick and tired of waiting for my SPEAKERS, That's the end of the story, it's the end of my rhyme,
When I'm rocking Atomics. Twill be So Sublime!"

Thannk You Folks, Thank You, Thank you very much!:roll WTF was that all about???:lol

OK, keep the comments coming. On a serious note I told Brian they should make some videos (he said DVD's are basically obselete as people go to the web to watch videos) on how to use the AFX-II. I mean Cliff is the expert and I know this thing is complex, but maybe just a video series of the basics and then some advanced programming parameters, tips, and tricks. It is much easier to SEE a video step by step with a close up of the menus and what buttons to press etc, etc,. He said there are some decent videos on You Tube, and there are, but I wish it was a little more complete.

I guess it is up to ME to spend time with this thing, which I lOVE to do, but a job, a wife, and a young daughter don't always leave much time to do that. The Atomics I HOPE will sound so good they will inspire me to play! I already have played MORE in the last 6 months, since I got my AFX-II, than I have in the last few years probably. It's quick, easy, and sounds great.

Man I jumped all over the place on this post, but you guys are smart and I'm sure can navigate the turns. Dallas had a huge ice storm the last 3-4 days, so I was likley suffering from cabin fever. I couldn't get out of my damn driveway because it is steep and was stuck at home over the wqeekend.

Much Appreciated Y'all

Tex

Check out YouTube videos by KKM music and Scott Peterson. They will give you a big head start on the AXE FX

I just ordered two Active Atomic cabs a few minutes ago. I went on the list first of August. When you receive your email you have a couple of days to act on it before it expires, so keep checking. I am parting ways with my QSC K10s more than likely.

I was on the wait list a little over 4 months, placed my order at 3PM and they were shipped at 5PM. Nice.

Yeah mine shipped quick too!!! Not sure on list. I have been waiting at least 5 months.

I'm pretty sure the demand is going to exceed the latest supply, but who knows?

Thanks for the tips on you tube.

That someone is also me! Getting my second this Tuesday. I am loving the one I already have. Two is just going to be mind blowing.

Last edited:
Cool Zentman. Yeah, I ALMOST went with 1. In fact, Atomic told me 1 would be fine, but since the wait is so long, I figured I might as well get 2 NOW. I am sure I'll keep them, BUT, if I decide 1 is enough, I'll send the other one back.

I am GLAD you think 1 is mind blowing, as some reviews got me scared I might not love these right out of the box, time will tell.

I am ALSO waiting for the damn MFC-101, which I know is out the end of December, so I JUST ordered a set of these things from StompBox.Com, shipping from UK to Texas................ I am becoming International! I got a custom hand made chrome pick guard for my JEM DBK (Lava JEM).

Stompbox - Basic Set

Stompbox - Preset Set

Stompbox - Control Set

Cost This:

From amount $90.35 USD
To amount €64.10 EUR

Custom Label Design

Having 2 opens up a world of other options beside playing guitar through. That being said, I have always used two of anything I had because it is just so frikkin awesome sounding in stereo. Many of the effects in the axe just beg to be stereofied. Then there's the whole two amp thing panned hard just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom