Some work still to be done.....

Sted

Inspired
Tried my new Axe-Fx/MFC/Matrix GT1000 rig at practice tonight, first half used the cab sims off through my Matamp 2x12 (2xG12 K-100) second half through the hired (aka sh*te) PA system, have to say neither was particularly inspiring tone wise. Through the cab the sound lacked any kind of bottom end and sounded very distant failing to cut through in any fashion up against a DSL combo, fared a little better through the PA with the cab sims on, still got lost in the ether more than I expected though, surprising as I really like the sound I get at home through my Fostex monitors.

I guess I have a ton of tweaking to do to get somewhere near the dynamics of my tube amp! :numbness:

Anyone has any tips in this arena they would be gratefully received!

Start with a Marshall through the 2x12. Dry. Raise master volum and play loud.

Then try FRFR. It's different. But it's kickass in the mix..

I think the term "NEW" says a lot, you really need to spend more time with your rig to get what you want out of it. I can see where you weren't inspired by ether being new to your rig. It's in there you just need to spend some time getting what you expect ;).

you also have to understand what you are going to hear. you are hearing a whole rig mic'd coming out of the axe.....it doesn't fill the room or sound EXACTLY like a tube amp, especially with a tube amp with an open back cab. the plus is what you hear is what everyone hears....whereas your amp might sound amazing blowing the backs of your legs off, it doesn't sound that way to anyone else in the room.

All good points chaps, I'm sure the tones are in there as I've researched it to death for nearly a year and have heard countless more than impressive demo's, it's just finding that magic combination that works for me, maybe a guitar cab isnt going to cut it for me and I should look at FRFR?

I loved my open back 2x12" for clean tones, but it sucked for hi gain tones. That's the Biggest reason for using a full range monitor now.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated!

Edit: Just read through the whole thread that Yek posted, bit of an eye opener that! I've also downloaded FW11.05 and the five of Yek's basic live patches, I dont have a band rehearsal for two weeks now but I'm going to try and hook up my cab later and see how it feels as the "Live" patches sound very different to the preset ones I have, in a straight AB they are much drier and punchier, far less gain too.

I will report back with my results, again, thanks, especially to Yek, I feel I will be stalking his threads for a while!

Last edited:
Tried my new Axe-Fx/MFC/Matrix GT1000 rig at practice tonight, first half used the cab sims off through my Matamp 2x12 (2xG12 K-100) second half through the hired (aka sh*te) PA system, have to say neither was particularly inspiring tone wise. Through the cab the sound lacked any kind of bottom end and sounded very distant failing to cut through in any fashion up against a DSL combo, fared a little better through the PA with the cab sims on, still got lost in the ether more than I expected though, surprising as I really like the sound I get at home through my Fostex monitors.

I guess I have a ton of tweaking to do to get somewhere near the dynamics of my tube amp! :numbness:

Anyone has any tips in this arena they would be gratefully received!

What connections are on the back of the cab? How were you hooked up? Be careful if there are 2 jack sockets, the cab may not be stereo and running the amp as stereo into both would be bad. One may be a link out.

Back
Top Bottom