Some V.10 Thoughts and Tips

started over from the beginning with the HBE now, settings are closer to yours now and found a IR combo i liked better, its SLM m75(oh) paired with basket weave TV mix

i like alot of distortion, if you overlook bad playing is this tone starting to get on the right track now?

Sounds good to me.

Explain 'artifacts' because I do not understand.

Cleans are just less gain on the drive and MV up. The MV on most clean amps defaults to 10; I just leave it there for most. I primarily use humbuckers, so my Drive settings are often around 1.5-3.0 or so depending on the amp. What amp/cab are you using with what sort of pickups/guitar?

Really thanks for your interest Scott. Artifacts = my personal expression for "advanced parameters" page of the amp settings ;-). The considered amp/cab combination is a Doubleverb with one stereo cab using 2X12 Gold farfield & 2x12 Blue Alnico. I use a Fame IV custom (top notch Polish PRS copy) equiped with Schaller Golden 50's (HB and SC positions, let's say that these are the middle of the road between PAF's and HB) that does a very very nice job for the buck as well in HB as SC position. I also use a G&L Asat Classic Custom, but not this time. Let's say the sound is thinner than with my V9 settings before of this amp. I turned up a bit the Drive for SC position of the guitar and lowered the MV turning up patch level, but - though better than at first try - it remains a bit too thin. In the advanced parameters I generally set the Low Frequency end somewhere between 180-330Hz, just not to walk too much on the bass players "footground"'. I should first play around with the factory patches but as in fact all my gain/high gain patches sounded like hell with a few minor tweaks after amp & cab resets, I expected the same would apply for clean sounds. Eager for any advice but will also continue tonight & be back on that. Cheers and looking forward to some "scotty" patches as in the past, these always have been useful for me in the "ULTRA" era (and at Axe II V7)!

Is it just me that find the Mix cabs sound a bit "dark". What am I doing wrong? I'm using Audio Technica ATH-M50 straight into the box...

Really thanks for your interest Scott. Artifacts = my personal expression for "advanced parameters" page of the amp settings ;-). The considered amp/cab combination is a Doubleverb with one stereo cab using 2X12 Gold farfield & 2x12 Blue Alnico. I use a Fame IV custom (top notch Polish PRS copy) equiped with Schaller Golden 50's (HB and SC positions, let's say that these are the middle of the road between PAF's and HB) that does a very very nice job for the buck as well in HB as SC position. I also use a G&L Asat Classic Custom, but not this time. Let's say the sound is thinner than with my V9 settings before of this amp. I turned up a bit the Drive for SC position of the guitar and lowered the MV turning up patch level, but - though better than at first try - it remains a bit too thin. In the advanced parameters I generally set the Low Frequency end somewhere between 180-330Hz, just not to walk too much on the bass players "footground"'. I should first play around with the factory patches but as in fact all my gain/high gain patches sounded like hell with a few minor tweaks after amp & cab resets, I expected the same would apply for clean sounds. Eager for any advice but will also continue tonight & be back on that. Cheers and looking forward to some "scotty" patches as in the past, these always have been useful for me in the "ULTRA" era (and at Axe II V7)!

Don't turn up the drive, turn up the input trim instead. There's also a Global parameter of "amp gain" that might work well for this too in a global manner (it is on the hardware only, not the editor).

another lil' trick to add apparent thickness could be to go to the amp's EQ page and make a small to moderate cut on the 500Hz band
although you're not boosting the bass, a lil' scoop of these low mids may allow the low to push through a little more..

and a little nudge on the depth control will add some girth too

Any tips to reduce the BOOMINESS V10 seems to have added to my sounds? I tried switching to DC which helped a bit. I use mostly the 1987X Normal amp. Where exactly did the increase in bass frequencies come from in V10 so I can accurately take them down as they were in V9 (which I had tweeked to pure tone bliss)?.
I know I can just roll the bass down on the amp or insert an EQ and roll some bass off, but I need to know where that increased bass came from in V10 to really get those channels I had PERFECTED in V9 back, while at the same time have to ability to increase the quality even further of those amazing tones with the new features V10 has to offer.

Thanks! Your input has been crucial to helping me get the absolute most out of the Axe and I appreciate the continuous input!
rcd

you can also try a different cab...
some of my pre 10 amp choices no longer deliver what I'm looking for...
made some different choices and got it all back and some...

Just gotta say, LOVE pulling back the "Transformer Match" in many of my patches. Really opens things up - gives it teeth. Awesome tip I would have taken a year to find I am sure.

Any tips to reduce the BOOMINESS V10 seems to have added to my sounds? I tried switching to DC which helped a bit. I use mostly the 1987X Normal amp. Where exactly did the increase in bass frequencies come from in V10 so I can accurately take them down as they were in V9 (which I had tweeked to pure tone bliss)?.
I know I can just roll the bass down on the amp or insert an EQ and roll some bass off, but I need to know where that increased bass came from in V10 to really get those channels I had PERFECTED in V9 back, while at the same time have to ability to increase the quality even further of those amazing tones with the new features V10 has to offer.

Thanks! Your input has been crucial to helping me get the absolute most out of the Axe and I appreciate the continuous input!
rcd

The normal channel of that amp is boomy on the actual amp. Most people pull the bass down to zero, mid and treble way up (I put the mid on 10) and roll. Or try the Treble channel of the same amp.

Scott,
Can you post a grid template pic or syx that you currently are using for V10? I am curious to see how and what you think is the optimal approach for setting this up.
I have been using Yeks which seems to do the trick very well but I just would like to compare different players ideas and find what best suits me.

Thanks!

Scott,
Can you post a grid template pic or syx that you currently are using for V10? I am curious to see how and what you think is the optimal approach for setting this up.
I have been using Yeks which seems to do the trick very well but I just would like to compare different players ideas and find what best suits me.

Thanks!

I *just* cleaned up my preset routing based on what I am doing with V.10 now.

I don't share my presets because they do not translate due to my using so many expression pedal modifiers to work on the fly. I will be doing a 'Rig Rundown' sort of video very soon to demonstrate.

Here's the grid I am using now:

Questions? Ask away!

I don't share my presets because they do not translate due to my using so many expression pedal modifiers to work on the fly. I will be doing a 'Rig Rundown' sort of video very soon to demonstrate.

Questions? Ask away!

So what is the benefit of running term, chorus and flange in parallel as well as reverb and delay?

Is there a specific v2 OwnHammer "voicing" you prefer, Scott?

USA or Brit?
Vintage or Modern?

Questions? Ask away!

mmm someone here is using a firmware 10.02 ! ;)

Is there a specific v2 OwnHammer "voicing" you prefer, Scott?

USA or Brit?
Vintage or Modern?

Modern 3 seems to be my preference overall with my guitars, my hands, etc.. YMMV.

I see the benefit of doing this. Do you set up ALL your patches with these effects in parallel?

Yes. Works for me, gig to gig. I am prone to periodically reviewing that; but it is where I am now.

mmm someone here is using a firmware 10.02 ! ;)

Good eye. ;)

Thanks for input. Looking forward to the updated manual too in order to educate myself more on all the parameters. I checked the advance parameters in the amp block and got slightly faint hearted... way over my head. Sticking to Plexi 100W all on default with your cab suggestions for now ;)

When will it be released?

Back
Top Bottom