Some V.10 Thoughts and Tips

Remember that the power supply is for the amp, not the pedals. Maybe you should make that a wish list item. On the amp power supply, you not only can choose the type (AC or DC), but the AC line frequency.

OK, I know it is for AMPs. I was more mentioning it for the anecdote. But it could well be a new feature.

I did'nt know of the AC LINE FREQ param. I missed it in the release notes. Thanks once more for your help. I'll go try it out.

Soon there will be a VARIAC in the AXE:
Variac.jpg

;)

Interesting write up...I always like reading how others are using the AFX and sharing discoveries and info. After all these years of using FAS gear you're still passionate about the AFX which is cool; it's full of surprises and continues to be...

I don't really hear any difference when changing back to DC what should I be hearing? (this is with higer gain amp models)

I don't really hear any difference when changing back to DC what should I be hearing? (this is with higer gain amp models)

It just sounds 'slicker' to me; it is not as evident or obvious with massive gain. Your mileage may vary.

I struggle to hear subtle differences so making these little tweaks that add together to make a great patch sometimes eludes me

But I'm more than happy with V10, and the patches I have created. Not much changes from my v9 ones.

Despite what people are saying about the new Mix IR's. can't get any of the 3 4x12 basketweave ones to sound really good on any of my Plexi patches. I'm currently sticking with my V9 stereo mix using factory -28 and 59, with. -50 and +50 that is my best result so far, I'm running mono into a CLR.

Last edited:
I struggle to hear subtle differences so making these little tweaks that add together to make a great patch sometimes eludes me

But I'm more than happy with V10, and the patches I have created. Not much changes from my v9 ones.

Despite what people are saying about the new Mix IR's. can't get any of the 3 4x12 basketweave ones to sound really good on any of my Plexi patches. I'm currently sticking with my V9 stereo mix using factory -28 and 59, with. -50 and +50 that is my best result so far, I'm running mono into a CLR.

One thing to always remember is that what works for one may not work for all. In other words, because I think something is just the bee's knees... that doesn't mean spit if you like something else.

If you have your tones dialed in and are having fun with different stuff than I use or recommend; then roll with it and have fun doing it.

With a box of this depth; there is more than one (million?) ways to skin a cat. :)

Nice post, Scott, thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Changing to DC made a difference, especially on some amps/settings. But it didn't remove the kinda harshness I hear throughout all my patches... I'll keep on tweaking, testing different IRs etc.

Thank you very much Scott for taking the time to explain and to give tip, it's kinda overwhelming sometimes for
someone like me that are not used to all these parameters and options.

I come from a simple Boss pedal board into a very simple amp, and I feel there's so much stuff in this awesome
machine that I am having a little hard to get my head around it all.

Looking forward to tutorial videos, because it's so much easier to understand when you combine the visual
dimension to the equation.

Thank you for all your work
//Kenneth

No, the Mix cabs were not done with a neutral mic. They are the 'ideal' combination of mic choice, mic position, preamp and EQ as per the engineer and producer(s) on the sessions to shoot them.

The same thing applies to the V2 versions coming out now from Own Hammer.
As a pseudo serious audio engineer I'm a pseudo mic snob. Saying they are the "ideal combination of mic choice", doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. What are the mic combinations then? Including the mic pres and eq? Is there a list, other than the accompanying photos?

Great tips!

The R and L proximity in the cab block I have them at 5. Would you suggest lowering them or 5 is okay?

As a pseudo serious audio engineer I'm a pseudo mic snob. Saying they are the "ideal combination of mic choice", doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. What are the mic combinations then? Including the mic pres and eq? Is there a list, other than the accompanying photos?

We'll soon find out, they're gonna put up every single IR capture they did, so you'll get each individual mic etc :)

Thanks Scott - very good/usable info! :) Will there be an updated manual in the future?

PS: I *really* like the idea of a variable voltage control for the stomp ODs...

Back
Top Bottom