Some thoughts on guitars and the ax8.

Geiri

Inspired
Hi fellow fractalites.

One of the arguments made why tubes are better than digital is the reaction a tube amp gives to different guitars.
Well in my case this is what I'm experiencing with the ax8.
I was playing my ibanez RGHR1 modded. Got some dimarzio d-activators and quality switch and pots and it is an extremely good instrument, both playing and sounding. Neck through, mahogany body and an edge trem so yeah it's pretty epic.
Plug in my prs se bernie and it's like I switched presets almost.
Two very different guitars which retain their individuality by plugging into a digital gizmo (which incidentally is also the name of one of my dogs) :D

Same goes for my fender and other Ibanez.

Love it.

I have owned dozens of tube amps, and played dozens of guitars through them. The right amp paired with the right guitar is magical. Likewise, the right guitar paired with the wrong amp, or conversely, the wrong guitar paired with the wrong amp not so good. I find the AX8 behaves the same way. That is one of the reasons I am so pleased with FAS gear. To have a similar experience with tube amps would mean I would have to haul around mountains of gear. No thanks. I can set up my Fractal rig in under 5 minutes and be ready to cover any style of music. Could not say that with tube amps.

I really notice the different sounds between my guitars now, with the added gain from higher output pickups very obvious on the same presets.
I swapped burstbuckers for bkp mule's in my les Paul last week and it's a whole new guitar, sound wise.

Maybe it might be in part moving to IEM, but the subtle guitar differences are really shining through my ax8 at the moment.

This doesn't help my guitar GAS at all though :/

Last edited:
I agree - the AX8 really responds well to different guitars.
Having said that , I also have an Orange Rocker 30 Head (the original, not the recent releases) and that is unreal in the way it highlights differences between guitars and pickups on the Natural channel. This would be a great amp for Fractal to model.

Yep u can hear the timbre of different guitars with it - it makes it fun and interesting when recording, esp if you are layering different tones....

Smae here! I hear more differences in my guitars through the ax8 than I did when I had tube amps.

That being said, I think I've settled onto the amps I really like in the ax8, and I didn't have access to many of these IRL.

Back
Top Bottom