Some solo questions please!

Claude M

Inspired
Hi guys.
I've been using a Filter block at the end of the chain for years for a solo boost with the low cut at 100, the hi cut at 6000 and a level boost of 3.5 which seems to work well.

However I've seen a few videos where the PEQ is used as a solo boost after the cab (with a spike in the mids) in the following way:
Band 1+5 - Frequency 1 type - Blocking
Freq 1 at 120 HZ
Band 2+4
Freq 4 - 2000 HZ - Gain 4 Level 2 and Main Level at 2.

I really like the sound of the PEQ. My question is, if I decide to use the PEQ solo boost, is it best at the end of the chain like the Filter block or after the amp block as I've seen in some videos? Also, what's the MAIN difference with these two positions - end of chain and after amp block?

With the Filter block at the end of the chain for solos, isn't it boosting everything before it, including Delay and reverb which I have at the end of the chain BEFORE the Filter block?
With the PEQ after the cab, it's not going to boost delay and reverb (which is at the end of the chain). Is this correct?

So in your opinion, which seems to be better suited for solos and placed where in the chain?

Those positions wouldn’t make much of a difference. The level boost into the delay or reverb block won’t create more drive (unless Drive is used in the delay block) and the same for other blocks usually after the amp.

Thx C
Those positions wouldn’t make much of a difference. The level boost into the delay or reverb block won’t create more drive (unless Drive is used in the delay block) and the same for other blocks usually after the amp.

Thx Chris. But won't the filter block at the end of the chain add volume (not drive) to the delay and reverb if it's AFTER them at the end of the chain, as opposed to the PEQ AFTER the amp?

I think in this case the volume gain is linear and it doesn't matter if you put it before or after the delay / reverb. The net gain is the same.

Thx Chris. But won't the filter block at the end of the chain add volume (not drive) to the delay and reverb if it's AFTER them at the end of the chain, as opposed to the PEQ AFTER the amp?
Volume is volume if there’s no drive involved. If you add volume before the delay, the original note is louder thus delay gets louder. If you add volume after the delay, the original note and the delay gets louder just at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom