Some seconds of Back in Black from AC/DC - Kemper and Axe2 recording

mDaniel

Inspired
Hey!

I also posted this in the gearpage as some of you might know :)
Let's see if you "Fractal guys" will identify your Axe :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9333867/omfg/1.flac
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9333867/omfg/2.flac

I didn't try to match the tone perfect, I tried to match my idea of "great sound in the mix" :D But I really have no experience with mixing, so that may suck. I tweaked using DT990 Phones :)

Hope it is ok to post a Kemper track here. I think the conclusion is that you can get great sound with both units :)

Regards
Daniel

I posted my thoughts on TGP - it'll be interesting to see the comments here; but it'll be far more interesting from a KPA angle over at TGP if the more 'over the top' pro-KPA guys actually chime an opinion in of a preference. I think if Dada chose the Fractal as his favorite, his head will explode. :D

That's playing with fire Daniel.. Nah you're welcome here :p

The intro "clicks" on nr.2 sounds better, if that can sound good. They're clicks i mean..
WOW! That sounds good, awesome, open, breathing, lovely! (nr.1) The Chords sounds very tubey, and the single notes are nice and wide, full. My guess is axe-fx.
WOW! That sounds good,a bit more compressed? a bit more hollow? the single notes sound a tad thinner. I also find the chords a bit more squashed, like not compressed
but like a bit less defined? :p (nr.2) My guess is this is kemper.

I'm taking a risk here going all in, hehe. They both sound very good! (not awesome since one of them is kemper..) ( haha yes they do sound awesome)
I could be wrong, they're both.. very good :p
The difference was easier to tell with my laptop speakers, with headsett I have to really focus and crank it up to tell.
Yep, like after 6th listen I'm more sure now (god damnit if i'm wrong :mrgreen)

Nr.1 Axe-fx
Nr.2 Kemper

Edit: Yep, definatley
axe-fx: nr.1
kemper nr.2

The single notes of nr.2 sound thinner and more squashed, less defined and not so open.
Nr.1 is a win from my point of view. It's gotta be fractal audio! It's gotta!
Nr.1 sounds more balanced, angry, nice, gritty, growly, mmmmh! (if this is kemper im gonna... :lol)

Last edited:
I guess the other way round:
1: Kemper
2: Axe FX

I hope I'm wrong. ;-)
Both sound very good though!

I'm so sure.. I'm so sure.. It's gotta be.. *crossing fingers
Although I have not ever played an axe-fx in my life, or a kemper (duh!) ;)

Just FYI, the overall volume is lower on track 2 which may affect auditory perception and judgement.

I have not used either unit so have no horse in this race, but the tweaks sound different. #1 has more distortion, edge, grind.. whatever, than #2. So I'm not sure how to compare the two.

What are we supposed to be comparing?

I could be quite happy with either tone. I have no idea which is which. I don't own an axe II yet, and nobody (but the OP?) has the Kemper... I liked clip #1 better first time around, and #2 better second time around. Beats me.

Let's take a poll of your average audience member at your average gig, and see which they prefer- and watch how fast their eyes glaze over because they either can't tell or don't care about the difference.;)

Last edited:
Both files sound good but could sound better...........

Improvement suggestions always welcome :) I just started with recording some days ago, bought Reaper and experiement a lot.
I use headphones for tweaking and mixing, but I ordered some monitors today as this is quite fun :)

No idea which is which, and my first FLAC listen to the Kemper. Both are pretty impressive. I give the nod to #1 for a little more definition, whichever one that is.

#1 is preferred... Sounds like it´s more gain. Both sounds good so... No idea. Both works great OMHO

Last edited:
I think #1 is the AXE-FX II
I can hear what it does to the high frequencies. To me that little sparkle in the highs sounds the same in all amps.

Or maybe I'm just going crazy...

Back
Top Bottom