Some questions about the tuner

Sure, if you are identifying the notes, but not if you are playing a scale in a certain key.

What tuner do you know that tunes in a "key"? Tuners are chromatic. The Axe-Fx's tuner's display is line with every other chromatic tuner I've ever used.

The Axe-Fx's tuner's display is line with every other chromatic tuner I've ever used.
When tuning a guitar to Eb, my strobe, polytune and pitch clip each define all the "flatted" notes as #'s. i.e. D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#. Not a mixture of sharps and flats. What tuners are you referring to?

What tuner do you know that tunes in a "key"? Tuners are chromatic. The Axe-Fx's tuner's display is line with every other chromatic tuner I've ever used.

I know. If you read my post a few above that one I said it doesn't matter.

I guess I wasn't clear. I was reacting to the FractalAudio post showing a mixture of sharps and flats. My point was that it does not know the key but that those of us with a music theory or keyboard background tend to think in keys. So we would never mix sharps and flats. But as I said, does it really matter? All that matters is the accuracy and whether I am in tune.

WISH LIST ITEM: Add a transpose to the tuner... just like the StroboSoft app. Add that and we'll never see another one of these "Why does the tuner display..." threads again.

Problem closed.

Attachments

• StroboSoft.jpg
    StroboSoft.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 25
Hey... I was just asking why the Axe III display the note this way... just for an easy reading in live situation.
My AX8 display all the 6 strings with « b » next to them when I’m tuned a half step down, and it’s better to me.
It has nothing to do with music theory, which I know... it’s just a matter of preference and easy reading... I think it’s very odd to read Eb Ab C# F# Bb Eb when I tune a half step down, evidently, I know C# is Db and F# is Gb... but it has nothing to do with harmony... plus the AX8 is all « b » with no « # » so I thought I have missed something in the tuner settings...

What key is Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak in? F# or Gb?

What key is Bohemian Rhapsody in? A# or Bb?

See?

Print this out and place next to your Axe-Fx:
F# = Gb
G# = Ab
A# = Bb
C# = Db
D# = Eb

Problem solved.
Pretty sure most of us understand what an enharmonic is ;-) And yes, we refer to those keys as F# and Bb. I have no issue with how the tuner references these notes but I understand guitar players tuning to Eb might prefer if the notes could be read as flats. They're not referencing what we call the keys but how they're tuning.

WISH LIST ITEM: Add a transpose to the tuner... just like the StroboSoft app. Add that and we'll never see another one of these "Why does the tuner display..." threads again.

Problem closed.
The work never ends for Cliff, lol. But I think this is a good idea

What key is Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak in? F# or Gb?

What key is Bohemian Rhapsody in? A# or Bb?

See?

Print this out and place next to your Axe-Fx:
F# = Gb
G# = Ab
A# = Bb
C# = Db
D# = Eb

Problem solved.
This is a disappointing response IMO, but I'm going to take into account that it is an Internet post, and not infer a snarky attitude that the original poster may not have intended.
All someone is asking for is a feature, just like any other feature.
Some people on these threads go gaga over many features most of us would find useless or marginal, or just plain silly.
Most Fractal users will never change the impedance of our fake speakers or play with gain enhancement. But I don't begrudge the players who enjoy the features. It's fantastic that the company offers a wide away of features for every category of player.
Maybe just say you don't want to change it instead of cheekily suggesting we need a cheat sheet, and that it is somehow our fault.

This is a disappointing response IMO, but I'm going to take into account that it is an Internet post, and not infer a snarky attitude that the original poster may not have intended.
All someone is asking for is a feature, just like any other feature.
Some people on these threads go gaga over many features most of us would find useless or marginal, or just plain silly.
Most Fractal users will never change the impedance of our fake speakers or play with gain enhancement. But I don't begrudge the players who enjoy the features. It's fantastic that the company offers a wide away of features for every category of player.
Maybe just say you don't want to change it instead of cheekily suggesting we need a cheat sheet, and that it is somehow our fault.
Sorry to disappoint you.

I never wanted to create a debate on the theory of music, I just wanted to know why on the AXE III there was a mix of flats and sharps, when tuned a half step down, while on AX8 all notes were flat, which I find it much more convenient.
That said, the AXE III is a fantastic machine, I do not play my amps since I moved to Fractal Audio with the Ax8, so I can do with the tuner as it is,
I was just afraid of making a bad setting on the tuner.
Thanks ;)

I am currently considering Fractal for my next setup, and I'm reading random posts to see how issues and requests are being supported. I have to say, the response here was interesting. For something that can be changed quite easily in software, this was not the response I was expecting. Given how configurable the unit is, I can't see why their could not be a toggle option....instead of a cheat sheet.?!?!? Anyways

I am currently considering Fractal for my next setup, and I'm reading random posts to see how issues and requests are being supported. I have to say, the response here was interesting. For something that can be changed quite easily in software, this was not the response I was expecting. Given how configurable the unit is, I can't see why their could not be a toggle option....instead of a cheat sheet.?!?!? Anyways

Don't let this little storm in a teacup dissuade you, just get it, it is a thing of beauty and you will not regret it.

Take a look at the WISH forum sections for the various products. So many wishes, and so many thread starters who state that their wish/request should be easy to implement.
Having said that, many requests have been fulfilled. All for free.

Thanks Yek, that's good to know. The problem with this response is well...it's the internet. Text, be it email, or forum posts just do not translate emotion well. So, it's very easy for a response to accidentally come across the wrong way, or did it? that's the problem, there's no way to tell.

Back
Top Bottom