Some questions about the new rotary block?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I have been tinkering with the new rotary block, and have some questions:

1. What is the correct setup when using it in mono? Balance in the middle or to the left? L/R sum or Copy L to R in the In/out meny?

2. Does anyone else find the effect rather dark and muddy, unless you turn down the HF depth alot?

3. Should one use the cab sims when using the rotary?

I'm using v 8.06 For #2, I didn't find it dark and muddy, just to much HF
going on. So I ended up with just a small % of HF to a higher (more than
50%) LF setting. I used the wiki example as a starting point. Set my
controller to ramp up, and was getting very real sounds. I am using
a stereo FRFR set up, but I love it. Can't wait to try the improved one
in V 9.00

tonygtr said:
I have been tinkering with the new rotary block, and have some questions:
1. What is the correct setup when using it in mono? Balance in the middle or to the left? L/R sum or Copy L to R in the In/out meny?
2. Does anyone else find the effect rather dark and muddy, unless you turn down the HF depth alot?
3. Should one use the cab sims when using the rotary?

1. It doesn't matter I think.
2. That's how rotary sounds.
3. Yes (unless you're using a guitar cab). No need for special grid setups, but check out the Stevie with Rotary patch.

With the new firmware i can almost identical create the sound of my H&K Rotosphere,
Close enough to sell the H&K...
I have to use rather extreme settings though but that,s no problem, HK and LK depth just a little under 1/4,
horn lenght full open, rate/speed somewhere between 12 and 3 o clock, and there it is Steve Rothery,s signature rotary sound :cool:

Cliff you are truly amazing, the rotary sim is really good now with 9.00

So that's HF/LF Depth at 24% and HF Level at 6?
Gonna try that, love the Rotophere.
I find that putting the rotary mix at 90% or so, to throw a little direct signal in, makes it a little play to work with.

Quesion: I'd rather switch between two fixed speeds (slow and fast), using a toggle switch, instead of using an expression pedal to control speed. How do I program this?

yek said:
I find that putting the rotary mix at 90% or so, to throw a little direct signal in, makes it a little play to work with.

Quesion: I'd rather switch between two fixed speeds (slow and fast), using a toggle switch, instead of using an expression pedal to control speed. How do I program this?

Maybe he means the horn lenght, and not the HF level?

tonygtr said:
yek said:

Maybe he means the horn lenght, and not the HF level?

My bad .. indeed i meant the hornlenght full open and hf lvl at 1 o clock (and for that typical Rothery sound rate/speed somewhere between 12 and 3 o clock.)
You always could use 2 rotary blocks, but if you are short on switches than that may be a problem ..
don,t know how to program that in 1 block.

Merlin said:
With the new firmware i can almost identical create the sound of my H&K Rotosphere,
I have to use rather extreme settings though but that,s no problem, HK and LK depth just a little under 1/4,
horn lenght full open, rate/speed somewhere between 12 and 3 o clock, and there it is Steve Rothery,s signature rotary sound :cool:

I'm probably one of the few guitar players who actually doesn't like a rotary...so I'd really love to try your settings if you could share them ... ?

VegaBaby said:
Merlin said:

I'm probably one of the few guitar players who actually doesn't like a rotary...so I'd really love to try your settings if you could share them ... ?

He just did ;)

tonygtr said:
VegaBaby said:
Merlin said:

He just did ;)
:oops: ... missed his edit ;)

i have my rotary rate varied by a envelope controller. strum hard and it goes to it's fastest then it slows down as i let the chord ring (really cool!).

is it just me, or does the rotary kinda ramp up to it's top speed with the latest update? i remember it used to be at it's max speed instantly when i strum, but now it seems to slowly get to the max speed and then slow down.

i guess this is ok for me, but i'm just used to the other way... is there a way to instantly have it hit the top speed when controlled with an envelope (or a expression pedal i guess, i haven't tried this)?

or does the new rotary indeed ramp up slowly to the different speeds? thanks!

Yes. It ramps up slowly. That's how an actual leslie works. The speakers and lower drum are on a motor so there is always a bit of ramp up and down time. It's great that Cliff added this. The old rotary block was extremely ordinary. This one is pretty damn good. The only thing I would add is a separate ramp speed control (2) for the top horn(s) and bottom drum. This way you could alter it's behavior to however you like. This is something used in NI B4II. It's a great feature. All in though, as I said, the rotary is now pretty damn good. But hey, everything can be improved, as Cliff showed with all the amps in v9.

ok good. just wondering if it was my own mind playing tricks on me. i know how a real leslie works and i'm really glad it is so authentic! although for a particular effect i was going for, i liked that it just went immediately to top speed.

maybe i have to look around for some way to have it stay on the top speed when i call up the patch... something with the way i control it. but it doesn't ruin my sound at all if i can't figure it out.

oh how i wish i had more than 15 minutes a week to mess around with this thing!

Thanks for the settings for the new rotary, it really improved my rotary based presets and got me in the Steven Wilson ballpark :eek:

Yep Just loaded 9.0 in today WOW!! Awesome Cliff.....thanks for the setting for the Leslie as well. very good. Charlie Hunter forsure. thanks

fremen said:
Thanks for the settings for the new rotary, it really improved my rotary based presets and got me in the Steven Wilson ballpark :eek:

For sure. I just dialed in Merlin's rotary setting and that's the total SW/Marillion sound right there. Thanks for those settings; I've never owner a rotary before so I was kind of lost dialing it in before.

Looks like my trem on the clean patches now is getting replaced. The trem sounds boring now.

Yep it replaced my trem as well. Got it hooked up to my mission exp. pedal and it is sickkkk. ramps up and down. great.

jazzgtrl4 said:
Yep it replaced my trem as well. Got it hooked up to my mission exp. pedal and it is sickkkk. ramps up and down. great.

With Vibe, Rotary and Tremolo I use just two speeds ('slow' and 'fast'). I've one switch on my controller dedicated to "Speed". That switches between those speeds. It uses one external switch, assigned to all mentioned effects. This saves the need to assign an expression pedal to this task.

Back
Top Bottom