Some Questions About FX8

Hi all,

New poster here. Hullo!

I have a few questions about the FX8 before I get one. I have done a bit of lurking and searching so apologies if these questions are answered somewhere else - I couldn't find anything that stopped my urge to post this. Here goes:

Ok so I have my amp sim in the studio (the 'other one') - but I am an FX junkie and the FX8 looks amazing for that. Never tried anything by Fractal but it has a great name for FX all over the interwebs, and you lovely people will agree I am sure. the idea is to have a nice pedalboard that replaces my stomps.

I have tried it many times in the past. Line 6 M9 - poor quality switches and sounded like plastic. Nova System - tone sucking sterile sounding disappointment.

I have killed myself with patch cables and power supplies for years. Mainly because I love analog drives and modulation. Sooooo with that in mind I turn to the FX8.

Drives - my fave analog drives are the big muff and rat. I have a boutique muff and a 90s rat. Nothing I have tried in the digital realm has really compared to the responsive gooey dynamic creaminess of these pedals up to now and I have tried pretty much everything. Some close but no dice. I tried to convince myself in the past but always go back to the real deal. How are the ones on the FX8? Are they G3'd? (I have read a lot about the legend of G3 as a lurker here) - if so does that make a difference?

Modulation - My fave chorus is a small clone by EHX - it has vibe - no digital unit seems to be able to copy the clone - or clone the clone even... hmm- anyone think the FX8 has a similar setting in there?

Mod reverb in my RV5 is my favourite verb, is it easy to create a modulated verb in the FX8? I am sure it is but just checking.

Also with all this talk of CPU etc. I want to duplicate my analog chain in a multi fx. This comprises of 4 drives, a pitch shifter, flanger, chorus, two delays and a reverb (rev and delay in parallel). I presume that is possible? I may have been scaremongered by some of the threads I have read. Perhaps they are from proper power users!

Humbuster cables - are they necessary to avoid hum running 4cm, the amp has a ground lift on the FX loop - would this do the trick?

Many thanks

Mark

Just tried it. It fits in one preset if Reverb is set to Spring Reverb. About 87%. 2% less with Looper disabled.
Note: the F8X provides two Drive blocks but you can use X/Y to get 4 drive types.

Yes, you create a modulated Reverb.

RAT is G3'd. Muff not yet but it sounds great anyway.

Many thanks - would it go over if the reverb was mod reverb? When I say two delays - these are not run together - I switch between long and short - so perhaps this could be X+Y and save on CPU?

Yes, if you don't use both delays at the same time, you can use a single one with XY.

The modulation parameters are present in each reverb type. So there's no specific "mod reverb".

I find the RAT really particular. I have played a half dozen different analog RAT pedals at least and each sounded different.

The G3 rat sounds great but it doesn't sound like my rat. So you know beware.

I personally bought this thinking I would never use the drive block and now I am gigging with only the FX8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the latest Firmware include the G3 Drives? Mine shipped with firmware from June 1st. I have just upgraded to the 2.00 beta firmware though.

The latest firmware includes all the drives which have been G3'ed so far (which is most of them). It also includes all the drives that haven't been fully G3'ed yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom