Some mocha fuze syrup on Steely Dan - patch critique please

scottl

Hi guys,

I just recorded this take on a Steely Dan Home At Last loop.... Gear was Baker B1 into Axe Fx >spdif cable>DAW

Not bad for quiet recording! I only added a little panned convolution verb in the mix. All else is as it exited the Axe. More patch tweaks as usual. I tried to greatly improve the lowend texture. What do you all think? Disclaimer: All outside notes were intentional. :lol:

New Mix with -3b verb http://scottlernermusic.com/axe/HATaxe2.mp3

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/HATaxe.mp3

I'd suggest, humbly, using less verb. Steely Dan always has the guitars SO dry... but the playing, the style, the tone... gorgeous.

I completely hate offering any criticisms on your clip threads because you can play circles around me with BOTH your hands tied behind your back. :D

If you never told anyone that you were running direct to DAW, seriously, no one would ever question that you weren't in a totally pro studio with a remarkably good engineer and some stellar gear. The clarity of your tone here is breathtaking.

Dumble? We don' need no steenking Dumble.

I say with complete confidence that Barry Richman would be impressed. I certainly am.

Man! Fabulous tone. And (not to disagree with Scott P) I like it with that much reverb... I'm an effects junkie.

What IRs are you using in there? Stock? Free-downloads? Or Redwirez? Would you share that patch?

Daniel

Shows what's possible with a bit of effort. However, I think that there's a bit of magic in those hands as well.

Thanks for listening and commenting guys!!

I'll do a remix later with different verb..... I did this in 15 minutes and I did not spend more than 30 seconds adding the verb. I'll try different verb IRs.

I can uplaod the patch later. No issue at all.... ;)

ckofahl said:
Shows what's possible with a bit of effort. However, I think that there's a bit of magic in those hands as well.

Well.... I'm sure Scott's years of tweaking, modding and recording with Dumble style amps helps too.....

;)

Aren't Dumbles cast in solid black epoxy to prevent copying and effectively modding?

Anyway, great tone as always. Putting it against the BT I feel it is a bit darker, the highs are less pronounced?
Don't mind the 'verb. My fave Larry Carlton CD 'Last Nite' (don't have many...) has quite a bit more reverb IIRC. I think I recognized the lick at 1:27 from that CD.
Listening through headphones I can make out the verb a bit better than through my speakers and it is pretty strong, but still doesn't bother me. Another point where a touchup of the highs might give the verb a bit more sheen?

I am pretty partial to clarity in tone. I always find it hard to combine roundness with clarity. More highs get edgy, more roundness gets dulled. It's a slippery slope.
Really, you do play a multitude better than me. But you asked for critique.

Dutch said:
Aren't Dumbles cast in solid black epoxy to prevent copying and effectively modding?

That hasn't stopped amp makers from bringing a multitude Dumble inspired or cloned amps to market.
Scott is known for helping improve the Fuchs ODS SLX amps. The "SLX" are the Scott Lerner tweaks to enhance the Fuchs ODS amps.

That would be I.

For the record, Dumble's were gooped in a type of silicon RTV that can be removed. Been there, done it. Have souvenir! LOL

rickboot said:
Dutch said:

That hasn't stopped amp makers from bringing a multitude Dumble inspired or cloned amps to market.
Scott is known for helping improve the Fuchs ODS SLX amps. The "SLX" are the Scott Lerner tweaks to enhance the Fuchs ODS amps.

Thanks Scotty! I made a new mix for you. I subtley removed a few db of verb off of the solo.... Better?

Scott Peterson said:
I'd suggest, humbly, using less verb. Steely Dan always has the guitars SO dry... but the playing, the style, the tone... gorgeous.

I completely hate offering any criticisms on your clip threads because you can play circles around me with BOTH your hands tied behind your back. :D

If you never told anyone that you were running direct to DAW, seriously, no one would ever question that you weren't in a totally pro studio with a remarkably good engineer and some stellar gear. The clarity of your tone here is breathtaking.

I dunno about a critique - all your clips have been just different shades of AWESOME! I do like this the best though - all of your clips and the patches have been very inspiring to me - thanks!! Really got me thinking about the nuances of tone rather than just thinking 'that's a pretty good sound - it'll do'.

scottl said:
That would be I.

For the record, Dumble's were gooped in a type of silicon RTV that can be removed. Been there, done it. Have souvenir! LOL

we need some pix of that.. or it never happend :) hehe

scottl said:
Thanks Scotty! I made a new mix for you. I subtley removed a few db of verb off of the solo.... Better?

Scott Peterson said:

That fits in the mix better for me. It was a personal preference thing only; Steely Dan don't use too much reverb at all on most of the leads.

I like the -3db verb better. :cool:

Oh Scott,, that would be so sweet to have a patch of your work! I still cannot get the clips to play, when its downloaded the page goes blank! :roll: I have heard your work though and appreciate your ear for tone! Thank you for sharing :p
Ed :)

Thanks guys! Running to catch a flight to Boca Raton in a few.... Here is the patch.

Firmware 9
Amp 1 - HAD ODS 1
Drive - 4.09
Bass - 6.65
Mid - 7.28
Treb - 1.85

Presence - (-)1.97 (minus)
Depth - 4.80
Damp - 2.13
Sag - 1.54
Master - 8.03
Level - 1db

Warmth - .24
Thump - .24
Lo Cut - 10hz
Hi Cut - 4563 hz
Bright cap - .100nf
Stack - Skyline
Tonestack Freq - 901hz
Stack location - Pre
Presence freq - 1090hz
Power tube bias - .378
B+ Cap - 7.64
Tran LF - 21.8
Tran HF - 14301
Tran Match - 7.05
Speaker Res - 80hz
Stabilizer off
Presence - Passive
Level 1db

Cab - 2X12 Custom Mono HiRez
Air 18.1%
Air Freq 4503HZ
R121 Mic
Drive - 3.7

Delay mono 179ms, 3.5% feedback, 14.2% mix
Reverb can be Md Room, 2.22 sec, 10-15% mix

Make sure the Axe Fx input is set for max input gain with no clipping.

Back
Top Bottom