Some Lynch action with the AX8

I bet that old Park sounds amazing!
Looks like Park has a Lynch model and according to the Park website: "The amp is also a clone of the modified vintage Park amp Mitch Colby lent to George Lynch in 1991 that was used exclusively on “Sacred Groove”. Seems like you would win that bet Leon!

Pretty good podcast with him last night called "Tone talk" hosted by Dave Friedman.. He was on for almost 2 1/2 hours and talked about all kinds of stuff.

I've never really been a follower of George (no hatin', please) so I don't know about his rig choices. I saw him in Sacramento when my bro-in-law was touring with Lynch-Pilson. He was playing through Orange that night. Is that unusual for him? Loved his tone! Heavy but warm.

George probably changed rigs twice in the time it took me to type this.

He was using a ton of pedals on stage during the Dokken reunion shows, but recently dumped it all and said on the podcast above he
finally realized all that stuff was just muddy-ing up his tone. So now he is using two old Roland SDE 3000 rack units for delay, and an old tube screamer, and for now says it sounds way better.

I LOVE me some George!!
I've seen Dokken twice and Lynch Mob 3 or 4 times. I can count at least 3 of those times George had equipment issues. He threw his Mr. Scary guitar across the stage at the Monsters of Rock....lol. The coolest show was at a dive here in Houston. I'm not sure if what he was calling the band at that time. But he opened up with the intro to "Unchained The Night" and sounded like he was out of key or drunk. Me and my buddy looked and both said "this guy is hammered"... Then in the middle of the intro, while it was sounding all kinds of shiddy, he rips into a shred that was definitely not part of the plan and got himself into his groove. It was insane how he snapped into the guitar god he is but riffing himself into it. The rest of the show was awesome. I got to talk to his tech, check out all his gear from the side. It was awesome to be that close and mixing it up with the crew. Oh yeah, the fuse blew in the building that night so they had to cut the gig short two songs.... Par for the course but it was still awesome.

He had his '68 Plexi and a JCM800 as a backup with a Marshall 1960A and an Orange cab that he mic'd. The tech said it was a mix of greenbacks and V30's. Way too loud for that place but awesome! He ignored my attempt at a high five, but I've since forgiven him...lol.

He's the inspiration for the tone I hear in my head. I listened back to "Back for the Attack" in the car the other day and noticed how thin the tone was but back in the day that tone was THE tone. If George ever got a hold of a Fractal we'd probably never hear from him again. He'd be tweaking with it endlessly.

The one tone he had that I've always wondered about was on the 2nd self titled Lynch Mob album/CD. It's a dark sound and less fizzle on top. Kind of like he intentionally tried to play with less gain. It's kinda cool because it has this 'glassy' feel to it, in my opinion. Seems like he's fighting the amp to get more gain through his hands. I love the Headbanger's Ball video on youtube. That to me essential Lynch.

Back for the Attack is my favorite tone of his.

Danny Danzi here on the forums did a couple of presets for me when i got my AX8 and really nailed that sound. It is my number one preset. I moved up to the XL+ and was able to import and it sounded great, but just got the III yesterday and tried importing the IR's and building the preset. it's close, but seems like something is a little off. i'm trying to figure it out.

Hopefully when they finish the editor will be a little easier to see if i am missing a setting or if the III just sounds different.

Yeah, Lynch-Pilson were SCREAMIN' loud when I saw them. I guess George likes it that way. My bro-in-law (Mike) is a thumper and plays this big, loud DW kit but he said that while rehearsing for the tour, George was often so loud that he couldn't keep up with him. I can't imagine how he's kept his hearing. If he ever goes FAS, he'll probably want a half-dozen Xitone wedges to go with it. :confused:

Rock on, George!

For years that tone was the absolute BEST tone to me. But I'm also torn because I love "The Hunter" and the tone on Under Lock and Key. George can get his tone on a Crate.

I think Mark Day went and set up a Fractal for George, but don't know if he ever used it. I've not seen any pictures or ever heard him mention using it.

I always get a little spooked when i see Lynch in a title. I used to say George was my uncle, since we have the same last name and I used to play alot of shreddy shreddy stuff.

Really like Lynch Mob, Lynch Pilson and KXM. I saw Lynch Mob when they played in Perth a while back to around 100 people and I stood right in front of George the whole gig. What he does is so much more terrifying in the flesh.

I'm pleasantly surprised, plays and sounds great. Super happy with it. Much better quality than my other Purple Tiger LTD.
i guess these are made in Korea, where the others were made in China.

I made a "Unchain the Night" preset. It was the first George Lynch song I'd ever heard and was just blown away by the phrasing, smoothness, vibrato, etc. I used factory cabs and the pitch is a 1/2 step down detune for regular tuned guitars. Scene 2 just adds an enhance block for a touch more sparkle. @2112 you use a Scarlett for recording correct?

I need to get one of those, cause my iPhone video doesn't have near the clarity of yours, nor do my hands, but we can't buy those from the store.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...uuMd98UDRyDaCfQjWmAhgnrxtKph1Y7iqd5fI&fref=nf

Attachments

• Unchain the Night.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have been enjoying this patch. It was fun choosing factory cabs I liked. And I made a scene using the phaser Leon had there...nice!!

Hi Leon @2112 , I loaded your preset and have a question. Out of curiosity, why do you have the Flanger and Phaser in parallel, rather than in series? Does it add something to the tone or to flexibility? Thanks again for sharing the preset!

Back
Top Bottom