Some Les Pauls (and their copies) compared

Wonder how a PRS 594 singlecut which appears to be a LP copy would fare in that mix ... been thinking of getting one ...

I loved the Stetsbar LP. How do you like its feel? I have always been intrigued with them.

I also loved the white LP with the TV Jones pickups. Very cool combination I never thought of being together.

I also loved the white LP with the TV Jones pickups. Very cool combination I never thought of being together.
Same here, I like the P90s and the 1980 Deluxe. I never get a chance to hear pups like that, so hearing those sounds come from a LP sort of messes with my brain. Like seeing a grizzly bear, but then it barks like a rottweiler.

OT: ADA MP-1 sighting!!!!!

I think the 70's LP Artist has my preferred amount of warmth and detail to it, although I'm wondering how much of that is because of the Suhr Aldrich pups you have in there.....! Either way, now I'm seriously considering getting some of those into my own LP.

I’m probably in the minority here in terms of Les Paul fans but I LOVE my two Premium Plus Classics. Nice slim neck and the maple tops are beautiful.

The LP Artist with the whammy is my favorite.
I think the 70's LP Artist has my preferred amount of warmth and detail to it, although I'm wondering how much of that is because of the Suhr Aldrich pups you have in there.....! Either way, now I'm seriously considering getting some of those into my own LP.
The Aldrich pups are truly excellent, and also featured in a very prominent LP-style axe on this forum, the black Indie with Floyd whammy that Tony from Hamburg ( @Black Bitch ) often uses for his awesome AxeFX jam videos and which I also acquired and modded with the Aldriches....easily my favorite LP (and Ive got a nice 59 CS burst and SG LP ), a ridiculous value for under a grand (including the pup upgrade.....
http://www.gear-stream.com/standard-floyd-black/

Nice comparison, @2112 ! It just goes to show that you can get some nice sounds out of a Les Paul that's not a "real" Les Paul. The Grecos I've seen from that era are mostly hollow. Is yours the same?

I love your comment about the "critically underrated middle position." So true. You can get push and clarity there, and most people forget there even is a middle position, because you're not "supposed to" use it.

Last edited:
Nice comparison, @2112 ! It just goes to show that you can get some nice sounds out of s Les Paul that's not a "real" Les Paul. The Grecos I've seen from that era are mostly hollow. Is yours the same?

I love your comment about the "critically underrated middle position." So true. You can get push and clarity there, and most people forget there even is a middle position, because you're not "supposed to" use it.
i don't know who said that...i use my middle position as much as any of the others, and definitely more than the neck alone.

I guess if I had to pick one, it would be the LP Standard for me. However they all sound great, different but great.

John

The black Indie Les Paul with Floyd Rose and Doug Aldrich pickups are my favorit over any standard Gibson Les Paul I have tried from friends and music stores. I'm born 1949 and used to own in my youth quite a few Custom Les Pauls from the beginning 60th. And they where realy great. Their where called "Black Beauty" and "fretless wonder" as the frets where very flat. So the Indie Les Paul which I call "Black Bitch" is my absolut favorit. Mark Day has one aswell. Hearing it on his FAS videos around 2011 or 2012 made me buy the Axe FX II and the Indie Les Paul. ;)

20130409_185946a.jpg

The black Indie Les Paul with Floyd Rose and Doug Aldrich pickups are my favorit over any standard Gibson Les Paul I have tried from friends and music stores. I'm born 1949 and used to own in my youth quite a few Custom Les Pauls from the beginning 60th. And they where realy great. Their where called "Black Beauty" and "fretless wonder" as the frets where very flat. So the Indie Les Paul which I call "Black Bitch" is my absolut favorit. Mark Day has one aswell. Hearing it on his FAS videos around 2011 or 2012 made me buy the Axe FX II and the Indie Les Paul. ;)

View attachment 42283
i never knew that! so i have mark to thank also...

I loved the Stetsbar LP. How do you like its feel? I have always been intrigued with them.

It's kind of like a cross between a Bigsby and a Vibrola feel wise and works best for subtle shimmers and dips. That Les Paul came to me in horrific shape with a Kahler trem and the top chiseled out, and the stetsbar covers up the wounds quite nicely.

The TV Jones bring the custom top life, it's quite a dark sounding guitar and they complement it well.

I have the PRS SE Singlecut with Trem. If you can find one of these, they are amazing feeling and sounding at any price.

I ended up buying one when trying it out head to head with the Gibson LP Axxcess.

The PRS trem just blew the Gibson out of the water in terms of sonics, neck feel, and trem stability.

For the cost differential, Gibson should be ashamed that PRS could blow them away like that.

Back
Top Bottom