AFIII Some King's X on bass

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
Fair warning: I wouldn't call myself a bass player yet. I've played bass, but like a guitar player plays bass. It hasn't been until recently that I started enjoying it a lot more. 4 days ago I decided to stop playing with a pick entirely for a while and I find it so much more enjoyable. So there's some slop in here, but it's King's X and an AxeFX, so why not?

I tossed the preset up for anyone who wants it, but you'll have to find your own cabs as I'm using 3rd party IR's. It's an SVT 2 going into an oversized Recto cab and an Ampeg 8x10 and the Brit 800 #34 into an oversized Recto cab. For this vid, I dialed it in a tad bit brighter than I generally would so I could get it to stand out a little more. The walls were shaking in my house when I recorded this, it was AWESOME!

Attachments

• Squidbass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Fair warning: I wouldn't call myself a bass player yet. I've played bass, but like a guitar player plays bass. It hasn't been until recently that I started enjoying it a lot more. 4 days ago I decided to stop playing with a pick entirely for a while and I find it so much more enjoyable. So there's some slop in here, but it's King's X and an AxeFX, so why not?

I tossed the preset up for anyone who wants it, but you'll have to find your own cabs as I'm using 3rd party IR's. It's an SVT 2 going into an oversized Recto cab and an Ampeg 8x10 and the Brit 800 #34 into an oversized Recto cab. For this vid, I dialed it in a tad bit brighter than I generally would so I could get it to stand out a little more. The walls were shaking in my house when I recorded this, it was AWESOME!

Sounds great. Could you list or take a snapshot of the 3rd party cabs you used?

As soon as I get home I’ll post them up! I want to say the Mesa was an ML and the 8x10 could be a stock cab, but I’ve got so many IR’s at this point I can’t remember what’s what.
Sounds good. What kind of Spector bass is that ?
It’s a Spector Pulse. They just came out around January and don’t seem to be in the hands of many people so far. There’s maybe 1 vid outside of Spector’s own YouTube page of someone playing one, which I found out. They run for about a grand; ebony fingerboard, roasted maple neck, swamp ash body, EMG‘s and a Spector Tone Pump Jr. Great bass!

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.24.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.25.00 PM.png

Ah, it's two 3rd party IR's. The 8x10 must have came from Austin Buddy's Bass pack. I know I got an ML OS Mesa pack before, but I'm not sure if that's from it or not. I've got 36,000 IR's, it gets tough keeping track!

Oh hell ya ! Dugs bass tone has been crushing for decades. The first time I saw them was in the early 90’s at a fairly little club in Myrtle Beach and to this day that was the best bass sound I’ve ever heard in my life.

Those are killer IR's, too! There isn't one unusable preset in that whole bass pack, really.

I can't figure out where the IR's in my preset came from. They're in a file on my computer that's just labeled "Old IR's", which started growing about 5 years and 4 computers ago. Kinda wish all vendors would add their initials to the IR names for reference.

The 8x10 is probably one of the two User Cab mixes I made from several 8x10 Marshall cab IRs from an IR pack by @dr bonkers with his permission (and credit) to use in the 200+ Bass TonePack?
I don't think so, only because it's in an old file that I've been accumulating IR's in for the last 5 years.

Edit- The Secret Weapon 2 Bass Mix IR is ridiculously good!!!

Last edited:
I don't think so, only because it's in an old file that I've been accumulating IR's in for the last 5 years.

Edit- The Secret Weapon 2 Bass Mix IR is ridiculously good!!!
Yep. Sssh. It's a secret. I honestly cannot remember how I captured it now. Pretty sure it was a 4x10 Eden but it might have been a 2x12 G126H cab.

Scott Nelson got this great custom 2x12 BASS cab from Paul Reed Smith, with old (re-cone?) Vin-Tone speakers that are like JBLs and heavy as heck, and when we update everything in this tonepack to Cygnus fimware in the future (will be months from now, no beta Cygnus version even available for FM3 yet) he wants to include some Cab IRs captured from that cab too. He's been playing it in our rehearsals for some Aerosmith and it sounds killer.

Back
Top Bottom