Some Hi-Gain Rhythm Guitar Tips!

Great Video.
The one thing I always find myself battling with is gain level. I always tend to run my gain higher because when I have a portion of the song where one guitar stands alone i always feel like it lacks gain. Once it is stacked with other guitars it sounds fine, but what do you do for those passages such as say, an intro where one heavy guitar starts a song off, and then the others kick in? do you give the intro guitar it's own track with more gain, then do the layered guitars separately?

Great Video.
The one thing I always find myself battling with is gain level. I always tend to run my gain higher because when I have a portion of the song where one guitar stands alone i always feel like it lacks gain. Once it is stacked with other guitars it sounds fine, but what do you do for those passages such as say, an intro where one heavy guitar starts a song off, and then the others kick in? do you give the intro guitar it's own track with more gain, then do the layered guitars separately?
Good question...curious to get others takes on this.

Hey man!
Thanks so much for this tutorial, never tried that FAS Modern! :p
Inspired me to record something one the fly with those tips :)

To answer the question above: normally I just track every rythm guitar with the same preset and then if needed smooth it out with some reverb.

Thanks for watching everyone! I'm glad this was helpful. My plan is to have another video like this for Bass Guitar.

@Pwrmac7600 I honestly just try and get a perfectly articulated take. If anything I'll add a touch of input drive and just take it easy on the low cut / hi cut to give it more spectrum.
@JapsidoOdlde Great work man! Sounds full.

Awesome video man! Im surprised you didnt touch the saturation button and knob! I find it gives amp so much more balls!. I normally put mines at like 1, 1.5 or 2 depending on the amp. .5 on it does a lot.

Great vid and really well presented Adam.
I've learned some new tricks to try from that.

Your tones are always top notch and I'm always really impressed with how you fit everything in the mix, all of the elements you have going on seem to find a place to sit in the overall picture. Great work.

Hey guys,

I've been having a lot of fun making youtube tutorials so I decided to dive into the field of rhythm guitar tones. I'll leave this here incase anyone is interested in what my process of dialing in is like. Cheers!

If your going to be taking that much low-end and thump away from the guitars, then you can't forget about the bass guitar's role of filling in that low-end and creating that appearance of increasing the guitar's sound. In your mix, the bass guitar doesn't have that solid low-end. I'd look into fixing that before you move on to making a bass guitar tutorial video.

Great Video.

I've got an alternative way, I'll record a DI track and a processed track. On the processed track, I can have as much gain that makes it comfortable. Then when listening to the mix....I'll mute the processed track...and dial in the best tone for the mix / reamp the track.
I'll do this if I'm having problems. Sometimes I don't take the extra, but when I have a problem I do.

Back
Top Bottom