Some help performing Live FRFR please!

ari

Inspired
Hey all, 2 questions with my life performances. Gigs going well and as per Matt's advice, i picked up a mackie hd1221. Sounds beautiful and clean and low gain i'm set. I have 2 problems with my lead tones and I need your advice:
1)Highs are really biting my head off. The monitor is right up at me, and everyone around me who's not in the line of fire say it sounds great. The direct to pa sounds are fantastic though. What do all you FRFR guys do to tame this high end/presence (eq, cab hi cut, treble, etc)? I also have videos of me through the pa where the speakers are not facing the camera so the treble is rolled off and it sounds UNREAL. Anyone else struggling with this issue? Please chime in.

2)High gain "Shredding"-At loud live volumes, my tones are great for straight leads and fast playing but I am not having much like with the drives or "goosing" the front end of my amp models. Using USA Lead 2, peavey 5150, and bogner shiva. At home, studio, direct the pedals are perfect but live it gets messy so i cant get the smooth legato feel of my triaxis rig etc...any else that can help chime in-thanks in advance!
Ari

For #1 you could send output #1 to FOH and output #2 to your monitor and use the Global EQ to tame the highs on your monitor

As far as drive pedals go, I can't help you much there since I'm not a high-gain person.

thanks for the reply! The thing is I like all those highs for sparkling cleans and effects but not for leads so its gonna have to be a high gain patch-only remedy...

Try a PEQ block with band 5 set to blocking and Q set to 0.707 or lower. Frequency for this Q is usually around 4 to 6 KHz.

If this solves the problem but sounds overall a bit muffled, you can compensate to some extent by using band 4 to boost a frequency range just below the cutoff frequency in band 5. Experiment with Q, but I usually avoid a high Q setting.

Sounds good GM I will try this for my high gain patches. Does that mean you have ha a similar problem?

Yes, I found I did need PEQ with the Ultra and FRFR; often also needed lots of mid boost for loud live work for the tones I like. But I haven't had that for months now, still waiting for an Axe-FX II, so I can't really comment yet on how necessary it might be for you.

Last edited:
I hicut all of my patches in the cab block to 7k. I started doing this with the u;tra because I felt I had to much highs but found that it places my highs perfect in the mix of all of my playing environments so it is a staple of mine now. I don't even start tweaking a new patch till I have low cut and high cut the so I am right in the perfect window for my guitar in the mix

Thanks all for the replies. Any takers on the overdrive in front of amp issue? Anyone here have trouble with getting sustain without squealing live for fast playing?

Back
Top Bottom