some flanger questions

Tonewicker

Inspired
today im having a hard time dialing the flanger block.. when i first started i didnt have to tweak to much to find the flanger sound that i like the only thing is the need of more volume/mix/level to the effect itself. so my first react is to increase the mix level of the block but when i do that i get more dry signal instead of more flanger, actually if i make it %100 i only get the dry signal. so currently my loudest effect level is only %50 so i wonder if i did something wrong or is there something that i dont know about the flanger block (by the way im using the analog mono)
will be happy if someone enlighten me

That's normal. For chorus, flanger, and phaser the effect is the result of the interaction of the dry signal and a wet copy with a varying delay time. The varying delay is heard as a pitch bend or vibrato. The only major difference is the amount of delay you start with and how much the delay varies to cause the pitch bend effect. Phaser is in the zero to 1 ms delay range (more phase stages equates to longer starting delay time), Flanger is usually in the 1 ms to around 10 ms range, and Chorus is usually somewhere between 10 ms and around 25 ms. Phaser and Flanger often use delay feedback to intensify the effect as well, while chorus usually does not. 50% mix is going to give you the deepest sounding effect because that is where the two signals are at equal levels and will interact the most. The interaction causes paterns of phase cancellation at certain intervals called comb filtering because the result on a spectrum analyzer looks like the teeth of a comb. When the filtering is swept back and forth by the varying delay time you get the familiar swirl of these effects to varying degrees. Less than 50% the effect gets more subtle until it disappears completely at 0% wet. If you go higher than 50% you hear more and more of the pitch bending that causes the sweep in the sound. At 100% wet, it is basically just straight up vibrato. Higher depth settings give more pitch bend.

Last edited:
That's normal. For chorus, flanger, and phaser the effect is the result of the interaction of the dry signal and a wet copy with a varying delay time. The varying delay is heard as a pitch bend or vibrato. The only major difference is the amount of delay you start with and how much the delay varies to cause the pitch bend effect. Phaser is in the zero to 1 ms delay range (more phase stages equates to longer starting delay time), Flanger is usually in the 1 ms to around 10 ms range, and Chorus is usually somewhere between 10 ms and around 25 ms. Phaser and Flanger often use delay feedback to intensify the effect as well, while chorus usually does not. 50% mix is going to give you the deepest sounding effect because that is where the two signals are at equal levels and will interact the most. Less than 50% the effect gets more subtle until it disappears completely at 0% wet. If you go higher than 50% you hear more and more of the pitch bending that causes the sweep in the sound. At 100% wet, it is basically just straight up vibrato. Higher depth settings give more pitch bend.
oh thanks! i always approach fx blocks like they are real pedals so i tought ''mix'' is the effect's level amount like the real thing.

It is the same. Physical pedals often just adjust the wet level so the control at its max is actually a 50% mix or close to it.

Back
Top Bottom