Some djenty goodness I'm working on.

metalxguy

This is a work in progress, I basically took the how to get a djent tone tutorial video and then tweaked the hell out of his personal preset to get it that much closer to the recording tone that Misha "bulb" of periphery had and used for their debut full length. It's a guitar tone I particularly loved and wanted to be able to achieve once owning an axe-fx and I think I did pretty good in reaching it. Lemme know what any of you think.

http://soundcloud.com/metalxguy/djenty-goodness

I am only on my iPhone and it sounds awesome - can't wait to hear it through my monitors at home!

Preset please?!????

I don't think it is dead on, but I do think it sounds better to my tastes. I think the whole mix you have sounds more raw/ real/ thick to me. I am only listening on Sony earbuds on iPhone to compare though. I would not worry about sounding just like periphery, it sounds damn good to me!

Tentonsofcrap said:
I don't think it is dead on, but I do think it sounds better to my tastes. I think the whole mix you have sounds more raw/ real/ thick to me. I am only listening on Sony earbuds on iPhone to compare though. I would not worry about sounding just like periphery, it sounds damn good to me!

Hey, thanks man, yeah I'm definitely not trying to imitate it exactly, but to get the same vibe and overall similar mix sound, that really big and full mix with huge guitars and really hard cutting drums. I've been an engineer for a few years now and I love all sorts of styles of recordings, but when I was first heard their cd, the overall sound and mix blew me away, it was more of an experiment in finding out like "ok, how did they get it to sound like that." Being just a local engineer and working with local bands over the past few years, you always get put in that position of "make my cd sound like this or this" so being able to pinpoint what different bands did or how they approached getting their sound can come in handy, hence why I did it. Misha's a really good engineer and has a good ear for details, he seems to love tweaking to his hearts content...I respect the hell out of his as an engineer/producer/musician, so figuring out his approach to tone and over all mix was a fun challenge. I'm more than satisfied with how the recording sounds, but it's good to hear opinions to back it up as well :D

Sounds more lifelike than most Djent, good job. I know I would enjoy the preset but I suppose I wont "bug" you for it.

It's far cleaner than some of the other djent attempts I've heard, and my ears REALLY like the way you represent this with your mix.

I think many, many guys out there could be greatly helped by you. So many are trying to instantiate their music versions of this genre, and some insight into how you found and tweaked your guitar sound, as well as how you set up a mix (DAW, plugs, etc) would result in an amazingly grateful response from everyone.

You've done great work here. Perhaps post your Axe patch for the rhythm guitars and a little info on how you worked them into your mix?

I love this. Congrats on this success metalxguy!!!!

diggi said:
It's far cleaner than some of the other djent attempts I've heard, and my ears REALLY like the way you represent this with your mix.

I think many, many guys out there could be greatly helped by you. So many are trying to instantiate their music versions of this genre, and some insight into how you found and tweaked your guitar sound, as well as how you set up a mix (DAW, plugs, etc) would result in an amazingly grateful response from everyone.

You've done great work here. Perhaps post your Axe patch for the rhythm guitars and a little info on how you worked them into your mix?

I love this. Congrats on this success metalxguy!!!!

Hey thanks man, it means a lot to hear, and that goes for the other comments as well. I'm just checking in, I actually have to run some errands n such at the moment but I think I'm going to get this patch onto the axe-change for everyone to access when I return and I will reply with some insights into how I did achieve the mix, because it's surprisingly not much going into it. So hang tight and I'll help all I can to anyone whose looking to achieve the same sound for their own projects.

Well the axe-change isn't letting me upload the patch, so I'm attaching the .syx file to this post and you can download it by clicking here: [attachment=0:1tx2zj8y]Djentastic.syx[/attachment:1tx2zj8y]

It's very mid boosted as you can hear, and also as you've all said it's real clean, and that's literal as well because there is very little gain with this preset. I don't believe active pickups will do it justice, probably just muddy up the tone I got with this setting, I personally used my Schecter diamond series c-7 with duncan designs in it for that recording. So just some passive humbuckers should do the trick. When I get a chance to order some bare knuckle pick-ups for that guitar, you can bet i'll be posting what the preset sounds like with them in comparison. The thing is that I think many of the djent fans trying to achieve this sound is they don't hear how little the amount of gain should be to achieve that sound, because you have to think, you're going to be recording at least two tracks of guitars, one left and one right to get the stereo sound like any recording. My recording was only two stereo tracks, one left and one right. Not hard panned either, only about 75%. I'll post more explaining my DAW and mix settings a little later. Hope you guys like!

Attachments

• Djentastic.syx
    2 KB · Views: 156
metalxguy said:
Well the axe-change isn't letting me upload the patch, so I'm attaching the .syx file to this post and you can download it by clicking here...
Looking forward to hearing this through my Lundgren M7 bridge pickup :cool:

soularflair said:
metalxguy said:
Well the axe-change isn't letting me upload the patch, so I'm attaching the .syx file to this post and you can download it by clicking here...
Looking forward to hearing this through my Lundgren M7 bridge pickup :cool:

Very nice! Lemme know how it sounds as well, post a clip if you can. I'm just as interested in hearing that.

I'm also very much looking forward trying your patch.

BTW I have an Ibanez 2127 with a Bare Knuckle Painkiller in the bridge. If you like I can post a short clip....

tjkili said:
I'm also very much looking forward trying your patch.

BTW I have an Ibanez 2127 with a Bare Knuckle Painkiller in the bridge. If you like I can post a short clip....

Yeah that'd be sweet, I mean I'm up for hearing anything anyone comes up with showing some good use out of my patch ya know? - I've heard good things about the painkiller, I'm personally looking into getting the new aftermath pickups for my schecter.

tjkili said:
Here you go. Please be gentle this was done in a rush and there are quite a few timing issues in the playing.....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8744388/new%20Icarus.v2.mp3

So far I'm actually quite happy with my Ibanez and BKP, but I got a Music Man JP 7 on order which I'm very excited about and looking forward to compare....

Guitars sound awesome even despite the rush in putting it together. Yeah I'd really love to put a Music Man JP 7 on order some day in the future, unfortunately I need a new car before anything so that's gotta come first before my current car bites the dust.

metalxguy said:
Very nice! Lemme know how it sounds as well, post a clip if you can. I'm just as interested in hearing that.
Patch won't load for me :(
I have an Ultra and everything's working properly (some other patches load no probs).
I get the MIDI IN LED lighting but nothing happens.

This has happened with other patches lately as well and I can never figure out why.
Others seems to be able to load the patches, I don't know why it doesn't work for me :?

Back
Top Bottom