Some Can-It questions?

JustinAiken

Inspired
Trying to decide between FC12, or FC6 + keeping a Morningstar MC6... If it's possible to answer some of these, I can start planning a pedalboard layout...

Tap/Tuner
- Is it possible to setup one button to be tap tempo, unless it's held, then it activates tuner?

Scenes
- It seems like having 8 buttons per scene is a given...
- But could you map 4 buttons to 8 scenes, with a single click for the main, double/hold for the alt?
- If so, is there a way to make it display 5 chars of each scene name or something?
- Or like "Scene 1/2"​
- Can you set up 2 buttons for scene inc/dec
- If so, can the scribble strip show what each direction would be?​

External Switches
- Is it possible to use the same kind of 4-switch 2-cable external extender as worked w/ MFC-101?
- If an external switch is connected, can you program it to do different things with a single press vs a hold/double click/etc ?

External MIDI control
- Is it possible to trigger external MIDI PCs/CCs from a press?
- Any channel?​
- Is it possible to toggle external MIDI PCs/CCs from a press?
- IE, have a button that says "Loop on"
- And then hitting it triggers a loop on an external looper pedal, and changes display to "Loop off"
- And then pressing it again sends the opposite CC?​
- If you have an expression pedal connected, could you set up a preset to move that pedal from being an external controller for AxeIII settings, into something that could send MIDI messages? IE, could you use it to control loop speed on an external loop pedal?

Last edited:
> What is an alt?

Alternate scene
- If you have Button 1 mapped to Scene 1 with a single click, or Scene 5 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 2 mapped to Scene 2 with a single click, or Scene 6 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 3 mapped to Scene 3 with a single click, or Scene 7 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 4 mapped to Scene 4 with a single click, or Scene 8 with a hold or doubletap
So you could fit 8 scenes in 4 buttons...

> What is an alt?

Alternate scene
- If you have Button 1 mapped to Scene 1 with a single click, or Scene 5 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 2 mapped to Scene 2 with a single click, or Scene 6 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 3 mapped to Scene 3 with a single click, or Scene 7 with a hold or doubletap
- If you have Button 4 mapped to Scene 4 with a single click, or Scene 8 with a hold or doubletap
So you could fit 8 scenes in 4 buttons...
Oh just another Scene, not a specific “alternate.”

Trying to decide between FC12, or FC6 + keeping a Morningstar MC6... If it's possible to answer some of these, I can start planning a pedalboard layout...

Tap/Tuner
- Is it possible to setup one button to be tap tempo, unless it's held, then it activates tuner?
Should be. Any button can be any function, and we already know tap tempo is a supported function, and that the FC can display the tuner.
Scenes
- It seems like having 8 buttons per scene is a given...
- But could you map 4 buttons to 8 scenes, with a single click for the main, double/hold for the alt?
Yes, but note that timing of a scene change via a press and hold could be tricky.
- If so, is there a way to make it display 5 chars of each scene name or something?
- Or like "Scene 1/2"
I think the display would be the 1st 10 characters of the scene name associated with the "press" function, not the "hold". We may be able to assign custom values for text, but I can't remember if that was confirmed.
- Can you set up 2 buttons for scene inc/dec
- If so, can the scribble strip show what each direction would be?​
Yes, I think so.

I'm thinking they they would be named for the function, like "scene +" and "scene -"...
External Switches
- Is it possible to use the same kind of 4-switch 2-cable external extender as worked w/ MFC-101?
- If an external switch is connected, can you program it to do different things with a single press vs a hold/double click/etc ?
The FCs have two external pedal jacks that each support a TRS cable which allows 2 buttons, so that should be the same as the MFC. Nothing I've seen indicates otherwise.
External MIDI control
- Is it possible to trigger external MIDI PCs/CCs from a press?
- Any channel?​
- Is it possible to toggle external MIDI PCs/CCs from a press?
- IE, have a button that says "Loop on"
- And then hitting it triggers a loop on an external looper pedal, and changes display to "Loop off"
- And then pressing it again sends the opposite CC?​
As far as the last I have seen, no, but Cliff said it would be easy to implement.

You can, however use the midi block to do that on scene changes.

I don't think the label of a button is going to change as you described...
- If you have an expression pedal connected, could you set up a preset to move that pedal from being an external controller for AxeIII settings, into something that could send MIDI messages? IE, could you use it to control loop speed on an external loop pedal?
Hmm... I don't think that would be possible, but I could see it being useful.

But do those names show on the FC? All the pics I’ve seen just say “Scene 1”, “Scene 2”, etc. Also the scene names on the III are longer than the 10 characters the mini display show. Does it truncate or scroll?
As mentioned:

I think the display would be the 1st 10 characters of the scene name associated with the "press" function, not the "hold". We may be able to assign custom values for text, but I can't remember if that was confirmed.

I have never seen any mention of scrolling text, and personally I would never want that.

I guess I was asking for the answer rather than speculation on how it worked. Personally I’m hoping at a bare minimum it works like the helix where it’s completely customizable and the character limitation is higher if you are willing to go with a smaller font.
Flexibility is always nice. But if you start making the font smaller, seeing it will become a challenge. I'm already about 6 feet from my pedal board when standing right in front of it, so it can't be too small.

Back
Top Bottom