Some Bass music (slightly ambient)

Hey Guys,

This part of the forum just doesn't get enough love. The Axe-fx II does great bass stuff, and here's a little piece I put together today. It's based off a very, very old melody "L'homme Arme'", which basically means "Beware the Armed Man". Details about the recording are at the link, but this is FW 10

Without further adieu:

Really that's sounds interesting with great bass stuf and the mix up... Even I was wondered when I heared the music from my headphones because as usually I hear normal music the sound is not good. Wonderful.

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on the forum in a bit because of work and researching, purchasing, and installing/experimenting with Komplete 9 which I just picked up. Super stoked, but going to be going dark pretty soon here to work on the album.

The patch is actually quite simple. My bass is an Ibanez SR705 played with the neck pickup, played with a dunlop .60 mm tortex pick. From there:

-> compressor block (studio)
1.832 ratio
5.57 ms attack
34.91 ms release
threshold set to shave about 1-2 db off the bass
hard knee, makeup off
1.0 db of level to drive into:

->fx loop to Darkglass Microtubes B7K
This is where the bass magic happens, although I find it best with the amp sims in the axe. I'm not a big DI guy, but I'm still experimenting. I like a fairly balanced blend of low, treble, lo mids and hi mids, somewhere between 50-75% blended into the FET distortion on boost mode with about 60-70% level and almost no drive. I also like the boost switch and usually play in the "raw" mode, although Fat can do some interesting stuff as well.

->SV Bass amp
Drive: 4
Bass - 4.84
Mids - 5
Treble - 5.19
Master - 5
Thunk - .5-1 depending on how I'm feeling

-> Cab
A custom mix I made of the SV Cabs supplied by Redwirez. Although I'm praying that one day Ownhammer releases some bass cabs. I will freak out.

-> PEQ
Cut at 380.7 Hz, 2.37 Q, -4.85 db
Blocking at 10,303 Hz

This gets rid of the wompy low-mids that I find unpleasant, and cuts some of the shrill off the IR. YMMV.

-> Japan CD-2 Chorus
I love this chorus on bass. It's the same chorus that Justin Chancellor uses, and I love his chorus tones, so I was immediately drawn to it. It seems to interact with my bass patches pretty well, so it's my go to for bass stuff.

Rate at about 9 o' clock
Depth at about 2:30 o' clock.
Mix at 30%
Width at 73%
High cut at 2961 Hz.

I find using settings with lower mix levels yields a more natural sound and by cutting off a good amount of the highs you get a nicer bass chorus. Too much higher and you start to really affect the grit coming through from the B7K and it creates some nasties.

-> Then I have two parallel tracks with delays:

Digital Mono Delay
Set to a quarter note, 2.38 drive
EQ low cut at 134 to get rid of excessive cab resonance
EQ hi cut at 2362 to limit too much high freq coming through

Multidelay
Quad tap
Pretty much stock settings with a gradual fade and wider delays. Mixed pretty far back so that only really accented notes come through

-> Reverb
Used the new stone quarry reverb, I believe.
EQ low cut at about 120 to get rid of cab hum.
EQ hi cut at somewhere around 3500, I think. I just cut until it gets rid of the clang that comes with using a fake verb on stuff. I don't like metallic verbs unless it's for a specific effect.

So overall, not a whole lot going on with this cab. You can probably approximate what I did with the microtubes B7k with a drive in front of the amp blended in appropriately, although the little black box does have some serious mojo that nothing else quite compares to. I would upload the patch, but if you don't have a B7k, and you aren't using RW cabs, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

There is post-processing on this clip. I run into an instance of Slate VTM, into an instance of Waves API 550B with select cuts and a little boost on the low end. I then use a staged compression with Waves CLA-76 Blacky and the CLA-2A, balancing the two until I get the sound I want. I then used an instance of Sknote's Strip module, a console emulator that I have really come to enjoy. This time it's set to the first emulation, which I'm pretty sure is a Neve console. It adds some really nice saturation and adds some pleasant effect to lows and highs. It's most useful when used in mix context with many instances running. However, it still changes the sound in a good way on single tracks.

From there, I have a very, very light compression on the master bus with the Waves API-2500, mostly just... well... because I wanted to see how it sounded. Then I use Ozone 5 with a small shelf to add some top end and limit it with a very slow limiter to keep it from peaking. Voila! I'm pretty happy with the sound, and am glad to hear you liked it as well. If you have any other questions, just ask!

Back
Top Bottom