Some Axe-FX II Photos from Today's Gig - Share some of yours!!!!

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Just some shots. Fun show, annual outdoor party run by a club. Great weather. 85°F and sunny. Nice! Ran direct from the Axe-FX II into FOH. Ran my Left output XLR to house; ran my Right XLR output to my RCF NX 12SMA. This is my normal setup running live. Even in the heat and direct sunlight on the rack with the Axe-FX II in it - smooth as silk, zero issues. Had gigged the night before and then done a full P&W gig in the morning before this show.

Freaked a lot of guys out - after soundcheck and then after our set. Really blown away with the guitar tone(s). Other guitarists from the other bands were coming up and asking what the heck I was using to 'get those sounds'. That's always cool. And so.... unlike Internet forums. (*In real life, musicians actually talk). ;)

Before we went on, just after I set up:
2012-05-20142438.jpg

My pedalboard with the MFC 101 and 3 Mission Engineering expression pedals:
2012-05-20142500.jpg

My pedalboard in direct sunlight (you can see the LED screen even in sunlight!):
2012-05-20142510.jpg

Me doing my thing:
487385_316009895139698_127739920633364_747473_1992828417_n.jpg

Running a Axe-FX II live? Got some shots or video to show?

Last edited:
Scott, how do you like the RCF NX 12SMA? I'm looking into getting a wedge but there are so many options out there and FRFR is not something I know a ton about.

Scott, how do you like the RCF NX 12SMA? I'm looking into getting a wedge but there are so many options out there and FRFR is not something I know a ton about.

I like it very much. I have an evil plan in action to be in a position to review/demo the upcoming Matrix powered wedge, Atomic CLR powered wedge and the RCF NX 12SMA. Now that... will be an epic review/compare/contrast. Stay... tuned!

How many people in the audience noticed that you were running 6.01?

My little secret. :D Might even be running something with a different number... you just never know. Come on out to a show... Phoenix isn't that far away... (well, it is but... )

;) :D

Here's some from last Country Band gig with pics ... I'm the bass player on the right.. outdoor gig 9pm to 1am... breezy evening. A gust of wind blew down the light tree on right side of stage just missing my head ! We tied it down...
1st on is prior to gig.. you can see the Axe sitting on top of my Avatar B210 cab... That's a Crown Xti4000 running the 1000w B210.
The sub on the left is 1500w and plenty loud for most venues.
The big guy in the middle just got called back to X-Factor local finals !

564822_409181249115699_353306488036509_1264065_814422567_n.jpg

522952_407365905963900_353306488036509_1260266_325937287_n.jpg

538862_407366599297164_353306488036509_1260268_1037171012_n.jpg

Great photo! Are you a bit nervous having the AxeFx rack on its side like that? (I'd probably kick it over..)

pictures and a question for Scott Peterson...

Hey Scott,

I'll try to upload a picture (or two) from a recent classic-rock/T-40 gig (with female lead-vocalist) in which the bassist and I were forced (due to stage logistics and keyboardist real-estate!) to be next to ecach other for the first time ever (and we've done over 1700 gigs together in various bands!) He uses a gen-1 (Ultra) for bass in an FRFR setup, and I (currently) use an Axe-FX II with solid-state Crown Power-amp and a Marshall (Celestion G12-75 - loaded) 4x12.

Until then, I have a quick question:

I noticed you had a couple of "copo-guitar" tunes in your setlist from that gig (one I believe in the Zeppelin's "Kashmir"-approved tuning of DADGAD - although I'd venture to say that you WERE NOT playing "Kashmir" that night - LOL!) Anyways, do you use physical capos on your PRS's or do you use some sort of "programmable virtual-capo" setup via your Tyler Variax setup (via open-string tuning (semitone) offsets - I.E: (-2 0 0 0 -2 -2) for DADGAD or do you have separate guitars already tuned to those tunings with actual capos? I ask because I can never apply a physical/actual capo to an electric-guitar (especially - and even most acoustics) without the capo causing a few to several cents of sharpness (probably squeezing the neck-position too hard I suppose) Anyways, any insisght to that Scott?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight, and I'll see if I can get those pics up later from my recent gig!

Bill Meehan

My pedalboard with the MFC 101 and 3 Mission Engineering expression pedals:
2012-05-20142510.jpg

How are your Missions cabled up? I see 5 pedal outputs, but only 3 connections going into the back of the MFC. Where are the other two going? :)

Edit: Disregard, had my brightness down and didn't see the black cables on the back of the MFC, haha.

Last edited:
Off topic, but have you posted about your board? What did you use and how did you mount the pedals? Velcro? That's very cool.

I believe it is called mylacon (I am sure that is spelled wrong). It is a sturdier form of plexi glass. It is a bit less than a 1/4 inch thick. The reason why it is not see through is actually because it comes with a film on both sides that you peel off well I only peeled off the half where the pedals are and left the underside on. I did use velco which I hate. The board flexes a bit when I lift it off the ground (it will not break though) so I put 5 strips pf velcro vertically instead of horizontally so they move against the flex. The place I got the plexi from said if I want more rigidness to by another piece cut to the same spec and use a nut and bolt on each corner to fuse them together but so far I am leaving it this way. The two handles were $1 ea at Lowes and I drilled a hole and screwed them down. I use a 49 key keyboard case to carry it around. Searched for over a year for a bag that would fit the dims I felt I needed for the MFC + 3 missions pedals and stumbled on these 49 key keyboard bags and the dims on the one I got was perfect! Once I found the bag I spoke to a guy I know who works with wood and I also talked with my local welding shop about have a board cut to my dims. After talking with a buddy of mine who is also a member here I got the bright idea to try the plexi (exclusively for the weight). I found a local place who does the plexi and in 4 hours I had my piece cut. 24hrs later I got what you now see

Hey Scott,

I'll try to upload a picture (or two) from a recent classic-rock/T-40 gig (with female lead-vocalist) in which the bassist and I were forced (due to stage logistics and keyboardist real-estate!) to be next to ecach other for the first time ever (and we've done over 1700 gigs together in various bands!) He uses a gen-1 (Ultra) for bass in an FRFR setup, and I (currently) use an Axe-FX II with solid-state Crown Power-amp and a Marshall (Celestion G12-75 - loaded) 4x12.

Until then, I have a quick question:

I noticed you had a couple of "copo-guitar" tunes in your setlist from that gig (one I believe in the Zeppelin's "Kashmir"-approved tuning of DADGAD - although I'd venture to say that you WERE NOT playing "Kashmir" that night - LOL!) Anyways, do you use physical capos on your PRS's or do you use some sort of "programmable virtual-capo" setup via your Tyler Variax setup (via open-string tuning (semitone) offsets - I.E: (-2 0 0 0 -2 -2) for DADGAD or do you have separate guitars already tuned to those tunings with actual capos? I ask because I can never apply a physical/actual capo to an electric-guitar (especially - and even most acoustics) without the capo causing a few to several cents of sharpness (probably squeezing the neck-position too hard I suppose) Anyways, any insisght to that Scott?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight, and I'll see if I can get those pics up later from my recent gig!

Bill Meehan

Bill,

I do both capo and 'virtual' capo.

On that song, I play the acoustic guitar part that is in F, but tuned DADGAD. I change the JTV to my acoustic sound, change the tuning to DADGAD and physically capo the guitar on the third fret. That capo you see there is the G7 capo which is fantastic and does *not* take the guitar out of tune - it's well worth the money it costs. I can change on/off with it lightening fast and it's always perfect pressure - nothing goes sharp - because of how it is designed. Took me 3 years to talk myself into getting it (used to be a lifelong Shubb capo guy). With female singers and especially at P&W gigs, a capo is indispensable for me.

We actually do Kashmir in this band, but not on this gig. We drop it in the middle of another song we do in the same tuning. We also drop "The Ocean" into a Kelly Clarkson song. Great fun.

You can tune/de-tune 'virtually' with the JTV but I find anything beyond 1 full step either way gets a little weird, at least to my satisfaction. To me the JTV and a physical capo are just tools. It works, I use them.

Scott,
When you run left XLR to FOH and right XLR to your wedge, how to you make volume adjustments during sets? I would think you have to reach down to the wedge so you don't change the level to the house.

Oh, and here's my contribution to the live pics...
NC may 5.jpgNC FX.jpgnc fx1.jpg

Here's a vid with my Doors band, from febr. 24th. Usually we play solo concerts, but on this occasion we opened for a friendly Led Zep tribute band (hence the filled up stage).
Obviously this was pre 6.0 and I reworked all tones since then and I think they're better as ever. But I can live with those in the video, too ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150691116424462 - Light my fire

p.s. will post pics from that gig, too

Back
Top Bottom