Some 3.00 Suggestions for the Amp/Cab blocks

Thanks Scott. I was trying the Lonestar model and changing the speaker Drive didn't change the tone. So, was wondering if it was specific to other setup. like live setup.

No. Depending on the amp/cab/distortion character of any preset and the setting chosen... the effect can be subtle or dramatic.

SCOTT...

You said this... "•Go to your amp model and look for the 'amp type' and reset it to another amp and then back. This will allow the parameters to all rest to default for the new firmware."

So, if I understand this correctly, you NEED to do this for every preset? Say someone installs 3.0 and goes to one of their favorite presets...there won't be ANY change in tone UNTIL you select a different amp then back again?

If so, will the preset then "remember" this and default to the "new" firmware tone from then on???

Brian

Last edited:
SCOTT...

You said this... "•Go to your amp model and look for the 'amp type' and reset it to another amp and then back. This will allow the parameters to all rest to default for the new firmware."

So, if I understand this correctly, you NEED to do this for every preset? Say someone installs 3.0 and goes to one of their favorite presets...there won't be ANY change in tone UNTIL you select a different amp then back again?

If so, will the preset then "remember" this and default to the "new" firmware tone from then on???

Brian

The tone will be changed once you update to this firmware; but it will not be set correctly to the default levels for the advanced parameters until you do so.

Once you have saved the new preset, then yes, the new parameters are 'locked' to the preset from then on.

Great tips, Scott. Thanks!

One thing about Master Volume (an object of infinite discussion...). Take for ex. Vox and Buttery. These are non-MV amps. You'd expect them to have MV at 10.
I'd do that. However, if you look at the factory presets, created by Cliff himself, you see that both have MV set far lower. Makes me curious.

I'm glad you said that.

I've noticed that too, quite a few patches are contradictory to the "cranked" master recommendation.

Richard

I'm glad you said that.

I've noticed that too, quite a few patches are contradictory to the "cranked" master recommendation.

Richard

My take on this is simple - there is not just 'one' way or any real 'correct' way to do it; many amps can sound fantastic dialed in any number of ways.

Remember my OP here was a basic 'quick start' and nothing more... the key as always is to use your ears and if there ever was any box that allowed you to experiment with settings that were impossible in real life (without very real risk of fire and blown tubes or nuclear explosions ;) :D ) the Axe-FX is that box.

Have fun with it - my little thing posted here is just a roadmap quickstart. That doesn't mean it's the only road on the map! :D

My take on this is simple - there is not just 'one' way or any real 'correct' way to do it; many amps can sound fantastic dialed in any number of ways.

Remember my OP here was a basic 'quick start' and nothing more... the key as always is to use your ears and if there ever was any box that allowed you to experiment with settings that were impossible in real life (without very real risk of fire and blown tubes or nuclear explosions ;) :D ) the Axe-FX is that box.

Have fun with it - my little thing posted here is just a roadmap quickstart. That doesn't mean it's the only road on the map! :D

+1

Rock On gentlemen!!!

When I first got my Ultra, I struggled downloading forum presets. I figured out, as per your advice above, to strip everything down to amp and cab first. Huge revelation. A lot of the efx, gate settings, gain staging etc. of more complicated presets are hard to get a one size fits all.

That's why I loved the first factory II presets that are basic amp cab delay verb.

Richard

I'm glad you said that.

Richard

Javajunkie answered that. I always assumed that the Top Boost was a non-MV model. Seems like it's not.

Personally I like to hold on to certain 'traditional' facts etc. as guidance. Otherwise I get lost in "agony of choice".

The 3.0 upgrade kicked my ass and I was blown away last night when I plugged in. I had made a Dokken-type patch using the JCM 800 mod. When I plugged back in after the upgrade, it sounded more like Dokken than before and was just really chewy and had a great growl. I felt like playing all night. :)

The 3.0 upgrade kicked my ass and I was blown away last night when I plugged in. I had made a Dokken-type patch using the JCM 800 mod. When I plugged back in after the upgrade, it sounded more like Dokken than before and was just really chewy and had a great growl. I felt like playing all night. :)

Huge Dokken fan any chance of posting a clip .i will be honest the 800 mod was the one models at least in clips that I had not dug ..glad to hear that your loving it now

Cheers!!!

Personally I like to hold on to certain 'traditional' facts etc. as guidance. Otherwise I get lost in "agony of choice".

+1 Common sense context makes dialing in my particular noise much simpler :)

I know different aspects of the MV have been discussed on other threads. I wonder for non-MV amps, if the MV could be preset and then an extra MV could be with the advanced parameters? This would give a preset starting point as coded by Cliff for non-MV amps but still allow tweakers to do what they do today?

Richard

Some great advice here. Thanks Scott.

On a somewhat related topic - have you posted any of your Axe II patches yet? If so, I must have missed them. One of my greatest learning experiences with the Ultra was studying the threads where you explained and dissected your presets. Gave me a better overall understanding of patch creation and provided a starting to point to create my own. Plus, I found some very usable sounds in them. Any plans on doing something similar with the II?

Some great advice here. Thanks Scott.

On a somewhat related topic - have you posted any of your Axe II patches yet? If so, I must have missed them. One of my greatest learning experiences with the Ultra was studying the threads where you explained and dissected your presets. Gave me a better overall understanding of patch creation and provided a starting to point to create my own. Plus, I found some very usable sounds in them. Any plans on doing something similar with the II?

I will be doing so. Sooner than later. :D

One of the more stressful aspects of beta testing (which 99% of is not as 'fun' as it seems from the outside) is that you put a new firmware that needs to be hashed out, has some things that need testing, etc into a working world where you have gigs, rehearsals and such and need to adjust and correct on the fly. Part of my MO is that you need to stress test these things under real world conditions and that means live performances.

So as versions come out to you for testing, you need to adjust your working presets often very quickly and depending on what is going on in development, very frequently.

As a result, I'd thought I'd do a quickie suggestion post from my stand point to help out the move to firmware v3.0 from 2.03c and for guys that run the box similar to me, it might be useful.

Observations and Suggestions:

When setting up your raw amp tones, bypass EVERY other block. No gates, no reverb, no PEQ, no corrective EQ, nothing. Turn off all the tools, crutches, 'fixes', everything. The ONLY active blocks are your amp and cab blocks.
  • Go to your amp model and look for the 'amp type' and reset it to another amp and then back. This will allow the parameters to all rest to default for the new firmware.
  • The relationship between the "Drive" and the "Master Volume" parameters has changed - dramatically. Revisit the balance between the two before you do anything else. Set your EQ settings to noon, presence to zero. Set your Master Volume according to the specific amp type - Fenders and Vox for example like to be 100% wide open etc (use the Wiki and/or Google to research if you have no clue how to proceed here) - and then bring up the Drive to taste.
  • Adjust your EQ settings in the 'basic' window first. Just do this to taste. Note that now, extreme settings are more musical than before 3.0. Note the bright switch is now IMHO more useful and musical than ever before.
  • Now adjust your Presence to taste.
  • Speaker Drive is more musical IMHO than ever before. I like some of it, but find IMHO that a little goes a long way. I start at 1.25 for a value and often don't adjust from there - even on very different types of amps. Just adds a very nice edge and smoothness to FRFR setups IMHO.
  • Go to the cab block and turn off the Room settings to minimum. All of them. If you are using the cab block in stereo, pan them center for a mono image to tweak. Choose the appropriate speaker you want to use and adjust the Proximity. I've found that I move it up to 2.75 to start; some stay there, others I'll take up to 4.00 or more. Just use your ears. Now pan them if you want to, (I do not, preferring to instead use the stereo block to use different speaker combinations, but I work the cab block in mono).
Amp Block Advanced Tab
  • Triode down to 2.5 and then adjust once everything else is dialed.
  • Power Tube Hardness to 4.00 and then adjust once everything else is dialed.
  • Check the Transformer Match setting and move it a little up and a little down to see if you like it better either way.
Now go back out and play, listen and adjust everything here to taste. You can mess with Dampening if you feel it is too thin; I was doing a lot of that but with the release version of 3.00 I am leaving that at default almost 100% of the time.

Now start dropping your effects back in to taste. You'll find that this little roadmap - if you like the same sorts of tones I do and work the way I do - is a "Quick Start" dialing guide.

Have fun guys.

Thanks Scott! These tips were EXTREMELY helpful for me. I'll be posting a recording soonish! This is the first time I've been happy with a marshal sound on my strat! Nothing on 2.0 sounded even remotely good to me... but now it's just smooth sailing on 3.0!!!!!!!

I CANT get a good dokken sound please post preset!

Thanks Scott for the advice, last night I tried to start from skratch to make some sounds....I believe that it is a problem of my small know how, I got a good sound on the Brit800 , but when I tried the TexStar no matter how the bass was cracking up too much and I just didn't get anything good. I'm using EMG 85, can you suggest where to tweak in this cases. (Same thing with the cornford too...)

Thanks Scott for the advice, last night I tried to start from skratch to make some sounds....I believe that it is a problem of my small know how, I got a good sound on the Brit800 , but when I tried the TexStar no matter how the bass was cracking up too much and I just didn't get anything good. I'm using EMG 85, can you suggest where to tweak in this cases. (Same thing with the cornford too...)

Break down your rig, your guitar, your input settings. Can you share a patch (often folks run their signal chain too hot without knowing it)? What style of music do you play?

The biggest part of redoing my presets using Scott's suggestions is to turn off the presence. It is SOOO interactive now, it really works like the real deal. A little now goes a very long way. Thanks for the tips Scott.

Hi Scott,

I'm a Rock dude!!!! I mainly record at home, My rig is my Axe2 that goes in my imac, my Guitar is a Surh Reb Beach with EMG pickups.
Last night I followed the rules on input level and ended up with a 82 % on the rear input level.
When you mean "Chain to hot" is it the input or the single effect levels?
As soon as I get home I'm share the patch.

Go to the cab block and turn off the Room settings to minimum. All of them.

Scott - are you still using the room reflections in the cab block like you were prior to v3? I was noticing the same thing about Damping - I was using it before to beef up the tone but it didn't seem to need that near as much with v3.

Back
Top Bottom