[solved] Why does my FC-6 not work? Firmware 1.04?

Dear forum members,

Why do people (both sides) jump on everything and every comment these days? I say: let it rest. It's just a cable. Not worth extensive discussing. Not every comment needs responding.
I suspect, because it is a conversation amongst users. It generally self-levels, based upon the interest of the topic and each individual member.

Dear forum members,

Why do people (both sides) jump on everything and every comment these days? I say: let it rest. It's just a cable. Not worth extensive discussing. Not every comment needs responding.

I’m going to respectfully “jump on” your comment regarding comments lol. These forums are basically called discussion boards right? The whole point was that people could come and discuss things, agree, disagree, expand upon a topic, learn, vent, et al., the the caveat it’s done in a civil manner.

I saw a post once where someone said they wanted to be able to post threads and lock them as read only, basically letting the OP put a statement out there about whatever yet not let anyone respond. That has its uses in certain circumstances of course, but what a boring forum would that be ?

Certainly some users pop on here once in a blue moon to ask a specific question and that is it, but the “regulars” come to participate and have exchanges, essentially making this a bit of an online social group, community of folks with similar interest etc.

I’m a member of a lot of forums for a lot of different hobbies and interest and some of them are a darn ghost town man.... The post have one or even no responses, the first page has “recent” posts going back months. Those places are dead and the reason is they are boring!

The fact that we can get 2 pages about a “bad” XLR cable is the very thing that brings people to this forum.

One can choose to participate as much or little as they want, and certainly some participate a lot, but that’s the point of a discussion board, to discuss!

If this thread goes to 5 or 10 pages, all about a silly cable, who cares ? Provided everyone remains civil and such of course.

Unless Cliff starts charging us for data use, or by the character, I can’t see any need not to discuss and/or comment on a discussion forum.

Just my $0.02 on the matter in a world where few, if any, still bother to pick up a penny they see laying on the street

Dear forum members,

But how does one get their post count up if they don't comment on every thread, regardless of their knowledge and experience or whether they actually own the device? It appears that starting even a trivial argument is worth 5-7 posts. :D

I’m going to respectfully “jump on” your comment regarding comments lol. These forums are basically called discussion boards right? The whole point was that people could come and discuss things, agree, disagree, expand upon a topic, learn, vent, et al., the the caveat it’s done in a civil manner.

I saw a post once where someone said they wanted to be able to post threads and lock them as read only, basically letting the OP put a statement out there about whatever yet not let anyone respond. That has its uses in certain circumstances of course, but what a boring forum would that be ?

Certainly some users pop on here once in a blue moon to ask a specific question and that is it, but the “regulars” come to participate and have exchanges, essentially making this a bit of an online social group, community of folks with similar interest etc.

I’m a member of a lot of forums for a lot of different hobbies and interest and some of them are a darn ghost town man.... The post have one or even no responses, the first page has “recent” posts going back months. Those places are dead and the reason is they are boring!

The fact that we can get 2 pages about a “bad” XLR cable is the very thing that brings people to this forum.

One can choose to participate as much or little as they want, and certainly some participate a lot, but that’s the point of a discussion board, to discuss!

If this thread goes to 5 or 10 pages, all about a silly cable, who cares ? Provided everyone remains civil and such of course.

Unless Cliff starts charging us for data use, or by the character, I can’t see any need not to discuss and/or comment on a discussion forum.

Just my $0.02 on the matter in a world where few, if any, still bother to pick up a penny they see laying on the street

I so realize that, and I do the same. It's just my state of mind today, seeing members jump on the first occasion onto someone who's only commenting on omitting a cable. ;)

Reactions: Rex
I so realize that, and I do the same. It's just my state of mind today, seeing members jump on the first occasion onto someone who's only commenting on omitting a cable. ;)

Sadly the omission of a cable is far from the most trivial of debates I've come across on gear based forums.... print vs electronic manuals, folded vs stapled documentation, if electronic manuals should be provided a physical CD (I swear that one blew up to like 6 pages, with page after page of the "what if I don't have internet access" vs "my computer doesn't even have a CD-ROM drive anymore")... what else.... foam vs cardboard packing materials, if accessories that come in plastic bags should be packed together or each separately wrapped... boggles the mind

On one hand, yes a XLR cable is pretty silly and trivial, BUT, on the other, at least is a physical item utilized in the production of music, so in the bigger picture its far more relevant than some of the stuff people will argue about lol

I can certainly agree with you.

This. ^^^

Multiple negative responses to a post can feel much more intimidating than was intended by any single poster.

This. ^^^

Multiple negative responses to a post can feel much more intimidating than was intended by any single poster.

I think its always subjective in the interpretation of what a poster intended; with different people reading, or not reading into things a certain way, sarcasm seldom translating well to text, and certainly folks who speak a variety of different primary languages all interacting. Add to that the fact that there is a small, and sadly what seems to be growing, contingent of new forum members who's only purpose in posting is criticize FAS, try to call to attention small issues and blow them out of proportion etc. I'm certainly not saying that is the case with anyone in this thread or not, but, simply that there are some folks whose behavior, "trolling" as its commonly referred, is either coming from a deep personal grudge, or being perhaps paid by competitors to cause disruptive behavior.

It is quite a melting pot when you roll all that into one spot on the ol' internet lol

Here we go again...

I keep hearing how flawless this gear is, but yet again, I'm having another issue that makes me feel like I just can't count on this hardware live.

Received the FC-6 today, followed the instructions, tried three different XLR cables, one of which is brand new, and I'm getting the same $%^& thing.

Seriously thinking this rig will have to be relegated to studio gear only. Very disappointing.

Yes, yes, I'll be contacting support for a ticket, again.

I have a Mogami XLR cable arriving in the next couple of days. If that doesn't do it, back the FC goes, and I'll just have to go back to my G System as the floor controller that HAS NEVER HAD AN ISSUE.

Worth the wait.

Here we go again...

I keep hearing how flawless this gear is, but yet again, I'm having another issue that makes me feel like I just can't count on this hardware live.

Received the FC-6 today, followed the instructions, tried three different XLR cables, one of which is brand new, and I'm getting the same $%^& thing.

Seriously thinking this rig will have to be relegated to studio gear only. Very disappointing.

Yes, yes, I'll be contacting support for a ticket, again.

I have a Mogami XLR cable arriving in the next couple of days. If that doesn't do it, back the FC goes, and I'll just have to go back to my G System as the floor controller that HAS NEVER HAD AN ISSUE.

Worth the wait.

The hardware was fine. It’s been working flawlessly since day one. My cables were the issue. With my replacement cable it’s fine. Can’t blame FAS for cables they didn’t make

Instructions specifically states "generic xlr cable".

Support had me do a firmware update on the unit at 1.04 again, but no change.

Mogami cable is out for delivery. If that doesn't work, I'll request an exchange, assuming they have any spares.

After that, I can only assume a bad FASlinkII port on my unit.

Okay - Brand new Mogami cable, same thing - Firmware 1.40 screen.

Also tried resetting system settings to default.

RMA - Got to hand it to Fractal for responsiveness.

I took pictures and a video of the Mogami experiment. [NOT SOLVED]

One other possibility: it could also be the XLR connector on the Axe Fx :(

Yes, I mentioned that above. If the replacement does the same, I'll be sending my Axe III back as this is the second problem I will have had with it involving a connector.

Guess this will be a good test for their warranty policy.

My Axe Fx III had to be sent back initially for display failure. FC-6 only main displays what preset/scene I'm in on the Axe and the strips display are frozen blank. Weirdly you can do the MLM and only see Layout 7 and 8 in the bottom row...to go to more blank buttons. haha o_OEverything looks right on the Axe in the EZ page. You see 8 layouts and the functions of the buttons. Four mic cables I tried. BTPA, (tested to work with my Axe Fx II's - MFC III) then a Rapco, Blue, and a Monster Cable. The reset feature doesn't do anything for me. Time to make a support ticket I suppose.

My Axe Fx III had to be sent back initially for display failure. FC-6 only main displays what preset/scene I'm in on the Axe and the strips display are frozen blank. Weirdly you can do the MLM and only see Layout 7 and 8 in the bottom row...to go to more blank buttons. haha o_OEverything looks right on the Axe in the EZ page. You see 8 layouts and the functions of the buttons. Four mic cables I tried. BTPA, (tested to work with my Axe Fx II's - MFC III) then a Rapco, Blue, and a Monster Cable. The reset feature doesn't do anything for me. Time to make a support ticket I suppose.

Thanks for replying. It's nice to know I'm not on an island as the only one that has ever had an issue with a Fractal product.

My returned FC6 worked for support when they got it back, so they sent me a new FC6 and a new input board.

I can't believe it, but they let me replace the board myself and waved any warranty violation.

Anyway, after I replaced the board and booted it up, the FC6 got passed the Firmware screen and appears to be working. I'll be putting it through its paces this week.

I'm not pleased with the issues I've had so far, but I have to give full credit to Fractal Support for their response time and flexibility.

Let's hope I've exhausted all of my equipment karma for a while.

P.S. It wasn't the cable...:)

My returned FC6 worked for support when they got it back, so they sent me a new FC6 and a new input board.

I can't believe it, but they let me replace the board myself and waved any warranty violation.

Anyway, after I replaced the board and booted it up, the FC6 got passed the Firmware screen and appears to be working. I'll be putting it through its paces this week.

I'm not pleased with the issues I've had so far, but I have to give full credit to Fractal Support for their response time and flexibility.

Let's hope I've exhausted all of my equipment karma for a while.

P.S. It wasn't the cable...:)
New input board for the Axe Fx?

Back
Top Bottom