[solved] Why does my FC-6 not work? Firmware 1.04?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Got my FC-6 today, but, I can't figure out how to get it to work

Plugged in with an XLR, tried loading the default FC-6 settings under the FC menu on the III, still nothing

I just get the main LCD screen showing "FC-6 and 1.04" with a "---" on each of the mini displays...

Is there some important step I'm missing ??

Nothing, tried the two press mlm and nothing, tried reloading defaults, nothing

Just says 1.04

Don’t know if I need to load 1.03 ?

My FC-12 works with 1.04. I think when I got my FC-6 after resetting the factory config I had to power the Axe off and then on again - have you tried that?

Try rebooting your Axe III with the FC connected.

If there’s no change, go into Setup > Foot Controller and stomp on a footswitch. See if the Axe III recognizes the footswitch.

What you’re describing sounds like the FC isn’t completing its boot process. If the above things don’t get you anywhere, contact Fractal support.

After trying 3 different cables finally found one that worked. The other cables seem to work and sound fine with my mic’s and I think they were all of the same brand

The last one I tried, before going out to buy another one, was a xlr to 1/4th and I put a xlr to 1/4th adapter onto it to make it xlr to xlr and amazingly the unit finished loading and is working as expected now.

It’s very strange and I don’t know what it is with whatever xlrs I had not wanting to work right. The unit got power obviously but couldn’t communicate. Don’t know who made them, just says made in USA low noise balanced microphone cable on the cord.

Very pleased it’s working but still not sure what the issue is/was

After trying 3 different cables finally found one that worked. The other cables seem to work and sound fine with my mic’s and I think they were all of the same brand

The last one I tried, before going out to buy another one, was a xlr to 1/4th and I put a xlr to 1/4th adapter onto it to make it xlr to xlr and amazingly the unit finished loading and is working as expected now.

It’s very strange and I don’t know what it is with whatever xlrs I had not wanting to work right. The unit got power obviously but couldn’t communicate. Don’t know who made them, just says made in USA low noise balanced microphone cable on the cord.

Very pleased it’s working but still not sure what the issue is/was
That's weird. It's almost as if one of the pins wasn't connected. Maybe those cables have no ground connection.

Fractal could add the fc cable in the box. That would solve the problem.
I'm disappointed :(
It’s a standard mic cable — the single cable type that every stage is likely to have some spares of. Any properly-made mic cable will work. If you’re disappointed that there’s not one in the box, you’ll be equally disappointed to learn that the Axe-Fx doesn’t come with a guitar cable. :)

Firmware 1.04? Is that just on the latest batch of FC's now shipping or is 1.04 part of the latest AFX III firmware beta 3.02?

Got my FC-12 yesterday, just checked and it has firmware v1.04 on it. I haven't loaded beta 3.02 yet.

And yes it is a wonderful beast. Got the 3 layouts I plan to use, 1 of which is sending MIDI to control my light program changes. Now I need more than 6 CS to make the most of my layer and lighting control flexibility... need to add that as a wish I guess.

It’s a standard mic cable — the single cable type that every stage is likely to have some spares of. Any properly-made mic cable will work. If you’re disappointed that there’s not one in the box, you’ll be equally disappointed to learn that the Axe-Fx doesn’t come with a guitar cable. :)
I do not agree.
Fc you can connect only to Axe FX III this is a dedicated device. And as you can see, not every cable works.
The cable could be in a box for sure. This is my opinion.

It is strange I had cable issues, but it seems a weird fluke I had several that didn’t work for some reason, as I don’t see anyone else having this issue. Maybe something weird with a pin on my cables...

It’s just like printers don’t come with a usb cable, they could. But for probably 99% of people, it’s a part they already have.

Plus who is to say the one FAS gives is the length someone needs ? I’d rather get my own which works with my stage or studio needs better.

It couldn’t hurt to have one included but that would be a lot of extra cables, thus cost for FAS, and seemingly everyone has theirs working just fine, including me now, so no big deal

I have a cheapo xlr cable that seemed to have poor connectors - and indeed it would power up the FC12 but it appeared "frozen" and wouldn't react to anything. Swapped cables with another xlr an all is fine. I threw that cable away.

I have a cheapo xlr cable that seemed to have poor connectors - and indeed it would power up the FC12 but it appeared "frozen" and wouldn't react to anything. Swapped cables with another xlr an all is fine. I threw that cable away.

Seems exactly what happened with mine. I don't think it was a bad cable though, as several did the same thing. No clue who made them, but certainly not a good choice for FC's lol

I do not agree.
Fc you can connect only to Axe FX III this is a dedicated device. And as you can see, not every cable works.
The cable could be in a box for sure. This is my opinion.
By that logic, they should have included a free FC with my Axe Fx III...

Your logic makes no sense. Yes, the FC currently only works with the Axe Fx III but the cable it uses is a standard cable. Nothing special. Any one that is properly made will work.

By that logic, they should have included a free FC with my Axe Fx III...

Your logic makes no sense. Yes, the FC currently only works with the Axe Fx III but the cable it uses is a standard cable. Nothing special. Any one that is properly made will work.

Likewise, it would be like saying that the Axe III should include a 1/4th" instrument cable in the box too, since you do require that to plug into the input. That said, I can see some validity to the point Mystik is making, though I think maybe something along the lines of FAS simply saying "hey, you can use a standard XLR, and we've found all these brands to work fine, but this one brand, ____ has had reports of issues so if those are what you've got, might want to run out and buy anything else before UPS drops yours off"

If it needed some weird inverse pin out on the male end or something, then yeah, they should include that, as its not common, but seemingly every XLR cable works except for the ones I had and SSKKMM's

Caution, the following is anecdotal, and not science:

I have a bunch of xlr cables. Had jet lag from Germany trip this AM, and nothing better to do at 02.30h. Too early to play my III with the new FC12, so I tested every xlr I own. All ring out as accurately wired. Then I tried every cable with the FC12. All worked.

I won’t draw a conclusion, because my exercise does not permit me to do so. But if you were able to fix the problem with a different cable, then likely it is caused by the cables. Could all three cables be defective? Yes. Could the FC be defective and a different cable fixed it? That is possible, but less likely.

My FC12 came loaded with 1.04.

I didn’t need a cable included with my FC. There would be a high likelihood, that the length would be either too long or too short.

Back
Top Bottom