[SOLVED] Wah, Pitch (whammy) and Volume w/single expression pedal issues

rnjscooter

Power User
Good morning everyone. I am SO close to having my III gig ready, but I cant for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I have..........

scenes 1-3 with Wah, scene 4 with Pitch, scene 5 with Volume, and scene 6 with Formant. I have everything the way I want with one issue. I cannot for the life of me get the wah to NOT engage in scenes where I have either volume, pitch(whammy), or volume pedals engaged.

I am not sure why my pitch and formant block dont auto engage when I am on scenes 1-3, which is what I want. And I dont know why my wah DOES auto engage in scenes 4-6. When I change modifier setting to get the wah to turn off in scene 4, then go back to scene 3, the wah no longer works. I tried using channel B, same thing. I am stuck stuck stuck.....
Help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 6.46.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 6.46.02 AM.png
    228 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hard to tell without the actual preset but you may want to check out yek's post here on the multiplexor as it might help you out . I found it a great idea.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/multiplexer-tip-single-pedal-for-wah-and-whammy.138199/

MM

Yes that you for that. Yek is a little over my pay grade but I will re-read. Saying that, Every other block works perfect, and when I set up the wah with the exact same settings it doesn't function correctly. It works perfect on my II, not my III

If you want to shoot the preset over I can take a look and try and help

ok before I do, I have wrapped my head around whats going on but I dont know what to do

My Volume modifier auto engage is set to off. Which means its alway on, which I want so I control the volume at all times. Then I have control over that block by simply bypassing it or not within a given scene.

My Pitch block same thing. The modifier auto engage is set to off. Which means its alway on, which I want so I control the Pitch at all times at all times. The pedal stays in to heel position until I want a whammy effect then press toe down. Then I have control over that block by simply bypassing it or not within a given scene. However if I set auto engage to say, medium speed, or any other setting, the whammy will not engage until I toe down. Again that is fine EXCEPT now I dont have control of bypassing it within a given scene.

My Formant block same thing. The modifier auto engage is set to off. Which means its alway on, which I want so I control the ooh ugh ahh at all times at all times. Then I have control over that block by simply bypassing it or not within a given scene. However if I set auto engage again to say, medium speed, or any other setting, the formant will not engage until I toe down. Not good, AND I dont have control of bypassing it within a given scene.

So that gets me to the Wah.... If I set he modifier auto engage to off then the wah alway on, which I DONT want. I want the pedal to stay in to heel position until I want a wah effect then press toe down. To accomplish this Auto engage must be off, and any other setting will work, for instance medium speed. However in doing so I lose control over the ability to bypass the wah block within a given scene. The wah will always engage in any scene I am in because the auto engage is no longer in the off position.

So I am Stuck on how to engage the wah block ONLY when leaving the heal position, AND controlling which scenes I want the wah to actually engage.

Does this make sense? I am also going to attach a pick of my II where I ran everything in Parallel using x/y and it all work great. I am going to try and modify a new preset to be in parallel and see if I have better luck.....

Make sense?

EDIT: I tried w Parallel and it doesnt work. I also notice on my II the whammy volume is at -80 when in the x state which means it cannot get volume. But that doesnt solve how my wah doesnt affect all scenes in my II. Will keep studying........

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 6.46.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 6.46.02 AM.png
    228 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.04.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.04.06 AM.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I think so. Always harder without the preset but I assume the expression pedal for each of them is the same and that you have switches that are engaging the various blocks? And given that I assume you are only using one at a time (pitch, formant, volume) given the same pedal controls all of them?

The way it probably works in your "II" preset, is that all three vertical blocks have Auto-Engage enabled, and just one of them is passing signal per scene. The other ones are muted by having Level set at -80 or so in their Y state. So in X an effect is passing signal, while the Y state is muted (or vice versa). By setting these blocks per scene to X or Y, you control which one is active.

What you want simply cannot be accomplished with these effects placed in series like you've done in your "III" preset.

Last edited:
I think so. Always harder without the preset but I assume the expression pedal for each of them is the same and that you have switches that are engaging the various blocks? And given that I assume you are only using one at a time (pitch, formant, volume) given the same pedal controls all of them?

Yes. Here it is. Just so you know I have a bit of a learning disability. I have a second preset in parallel and I swore I had it, then double checked my scenes and lost my wah. Back to square one. I am going to take a break for a few hours. With my learning issues its something I have to do or go into a depression state....

Attachments

• 1st Preset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
The way it probably works in your "II" preset, is that all three vertical blocks have Auto-Engage enabled, and just one of them is passing signal per scene. The other ones are muted by having Level set at -80 or so in their Y state. So in X an effect is passing signal, while the Y state is muted (or vice versa). By setting these blocks per scene to X or Y, you control which one is active.

What you want simply cannot be accomplished with these effects placed in series like you've done in your "III" preset.

PS. I am not sure what state this preset is in right now as I continually exit the preset without saving and come back to it so I can start over again

Did you set the min/max opposite for vol/wah? so if wah is Min=0 Max=10 then volume is the opposite Min=10 Max =0

No I did NOT, and it sounds an awful lot like Chris taught in their video

And I did just that when I had an SP-1 w a switch but now I have an Ev-2. I have to leave for 90 minutes so I dont lose my mind, but I am going to really think thru what you just said and see if I can understand it. Thanks Bruce!

yes, hmmmm. SO I have been messing with parallel I can send you that as well. But I am still stuck.... Be back in 90 minutes. I have to have to take a break.......

Hey no worries man. Sometimes best to walk away.

Try this. And if it works, we both owe yes a beer.

I've basically taken the Wah, Volume, Pitch and Formant and put them on four separate rows. The Multiplexor is inserted after them (Read up on this and it will make sense) . It basically selects a row of what precedes it. There a 4 channels for the multiplexor - One for each row. In scenes 1-3 it selects channel 1 (wah) and in scenes 4-6 selects what you wanted with the appropriate row. The Way remains auto engaged but only works in scenes 1-3.

Yek - Does this make sense. It seems to work as intended

MM

Attachments

• 1st Preset-MM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Did you set the min/max opposite for vol/wah? so if wah is Min=0 Max=10 then volume is the opposite Min=10 Max =0

Actually, I did NOT do that. I am gonna look at WITELITE sent me. I only have 10 minutes before I start teaching. Ya, I am a teacher with learning issues lol.......

I will check that out tho!

Hey no worries man. Sometimes best to walk away.

Try this. And if it works, we both owe yes a beer.

I've basically taken the Wah, Volume, Pitch and Formant and put them on four separate rows. The Multiplexor is inserted after them (Read up on this and it will make sense) . It basically selects a row of what precedes it. There a 4 channels for the multiplexor - One for each row. In scenes 1-3 it selects channel 1 (wah) and in scenes 4-6 selects what you wanted with the appropriate row. The Way remains auto engaged but only works in scenes 1-3.

Yek - Does this make sense. It seems to work as intended

MM

I only have 10 minutes, but wow, thanks! I have no idea what you or yek just said in his thread. But I will study it in about an hour and a half. The so much!

Back
Top Bottom