[solved] Update Quantum to Ares Artifacts

GeneT95

Just updated but had to switch back.

When I change presets, say rolling the knob to the next, I get this odd filtering warble at the beginning for one or two seconds.

Is there something I have set incorrectly?

No, it's not. Like everything in this world. Sometimes commands are written to the wrong internal addresses, so we can have artifacts. Think any OS installation.
This is not an OS loading on a hard disk...

And Cliff has stated in the past that it is bad recommendation, the firmware is validated before transferring and after transferring.

I'm not saying others have not reported that this fixed things for them in the past, but that is from the man himself.

Edit:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/taming-the-fw-7-harsh-top-end.125091/#post-1488302

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/kinda-freaking-out-a-little.104623/page-3#post-1251921

No, it's not. Like everything in this world. Sometimes commands are written to the wrong internal addresses, so we can have artifacts. Think any OS installation.
I'm merely parroting what Cliff has stated on this before and since he designs and programs this stuff I tend to believe him. Unix Guy posted links to support this.

Yes it will probably be hard for others to diagnose without example presets - IE a preset example of a current state preset and then another preset to change to in an effort to replicate the issue.

On the discussion of whether or not it's advisable to re-apply the firmware update again - the argument is moot here because you've gone back to the older FW already - so trying the Ares update again is the only way forward to try and find the solution to the issue.

I've read that Ares adds maybe a little more CPU usage over Quantum so perhaps the presets in question were hovering around the high CPU values that can cause issues?

Also if Axe-Edit or Fractal-Bot etc were connected via USB while you turned the front dial it could affect things adversely (USB connections use some CPU too)

Did you soft reset the amp blocks (momentarily change to different amp type and back again then Save) after updating to Ares?

Assuming a full backup of Quantum based system and presets has been done, I'd probably try installing the Ares FW again - then reset the system parameters in the Utility>Reset menu - then set up 2 or 3 very simple presets somewhere next door to each other - just an amp and cab block in each - then try changing up and then back down using both the front panel method (with no external USB or MIDI devices attached) and also secondly with Axe-Edit or other such midi controller.

If the issue remains after a reset system and simple presets then it's probably a support issue (though not anything likely serious as Quantum reportedly works fine) - if however it works then you could try building onto those original basic presets to replicate two of the other presets that were causing issues previously to see at what point the issue (maybe) begins again.

FWIW, the ARES 1.03 firmware is the only firmware I've ever had installation problems with. It failed three times when uploading via FractalBot. I redownloaded the install .zip file and the fourth time it succeeded. No artifacts here though...

Just updated but had to switch back.

When I change presets, say rolling the knob to the next, I get this odd filtering warble at the beginning for one or two seconds.

Is there something I have set incorrectly?
Was Axe-Edit connected?

i had this strange thing yesterday where i was playing with a preset and i added a flanger to it. after 5 minutes i decided i dint like it and changed the preset.
I could hear the flange still though. it could have been my ears, might have even been the modulation from the delay i was more tuned to hearing at that point but it really sounded like i still had a flanger applied....

Ah, Maxdown had it right. As soon as he posted I knew. I had left FractalBot running after the update and the warbling chirp must have been from its continued presence. So, in the end, it was operator error in my case.

I reloaded. Made sure FractalBot was closed down. And turned XL back on. No chirping with preset changes. I think I knew this at one time but I took a hiatus from playing for about a year and just came back. Thanks MaxDown.

And I'm sure Moke is correct too. But AxeEdit wasn't running at the time.

Back
Top Bottom