Solved: That's a bit...

jimfergie

Just opened up my new Axe Fx 2, down loaded the Mac USB driver, turned the machine on, liked what I heard from the guitar.
Problem is every program, Itunes, Transcribe even You Tube doesn't work, spinning wheel of death on all programs.
Switch to internal speakers, everything works.
Plugged my old Digitect GSP back in, everything works.
I've contacted customer support, but if the USB doesn't work, back it goes.

Jim

It sounds like your USB thinks the Digitech unit is plugged in when it is the AXEFX2. I would try deleting the Digitech USB driver and reinstall Axe driver to eliminate anything else on USB port. Running fine here on mountain lion. Kill any programs other than Filer not needed.

thanks for the quick replies, I'm running 10.6.4. I did reboot once, didn't help. When I had it on the Axe Fx came up under "Sound" (system preferences), no Digitech was visible. I disconnected the AxeFx and plugged in the Digitech, it works fine. It has to be the driver not working with 10.6.4, correct?

Jim,
With all due respect.. please READ the INSTRUCTIONS.

Web page to download the Mac USB drivers explicitly states "See manual for minimum requirements"
In the 9.01 User Manual on page 12 under "2.3.1 Minimum Requirements" it states
OS X: 10.7.4 or later

Since you are running 10.6.4, I'd suggest an upgrade to your OS?

thanks for the quick replies, I'm running 10.6.4. I did reboot once, didn't help. When I had it on the Axe Fx came up under "Sound" (system preferences), no Digitech was visible. I disconnected the AxeFx and plugged in the Digitech, it works fine. It has to be the driver not working with 10.6.4, correct?

Man, time to update your OS! Was using my wife's MAC last week and she was running 10.5.4. :lol

Just get your hands on the older driver, I might have it laying around here somewhere, I'll have a look.

For what it's worth, all of my studio Mac Pro's run 10.6.4. Logic can be a complete bastard with 10.8.x and 10.7.x was a write off. I'll upgrade when I can use Logic at home on current OS' without grief.

Just get your hands on the older driver, I might have it laying around here somewhere, I'll have a look.

For what it's worth, all of my studio Mac Pro's run 10.6.4. Logic can be a complete bastard with 10.8.x and 10.7.x was a write off. I'll upgrade when I can use Logic at home on current OS' without grief.

OT Oh dear, I was about to buy logic, what is the main issue?

Hopefully Logix Pro X comes out soon.

OT Oh dear, I was about to buy logic, what is the main issue?

Do not fear! That was a pretty vague post on my part, I should have given more detail. Unless you're gonna be using a ton of third party plugins in pretty huge sessions I think you'll be absolutely fine. Things can get a bit off under 10.8 with my larger projects.

My only issue with Logic under regular use, on any OS version, is the same issue I have with a lot of Apple software. It doesn't release ram when you stop using something. Like, if I had a plugin heavy project open, closed said project and opened another, Logic would still hog all the ram from the prior project also. It'll only let it go when you quit the program. Much less of an issue now it's 64bit but still a pain in the ass on occasion.

My only issue with Logic under regular use, on any OS version, is the same issue I have with a lot of Apple software. It doesn't release ram when you stop using something. Like, if I had a plugin heavy project open, closed said project and opened another, Logic would still hog all the ram from the prior project also. It'll only let it go when you quit the program. Much less of an issue now it's 64bit but still a pain in the ass on occasion.

Really not 100% sure of this atm. But I think this behaviour is a caching mechanism of the underlying operating system. Or they use their own memory manager in Logic which just isn't releasing the memory for later on?

Btw. I tried the AxeFx on my macbook (OS X 10.6.8 ) a while ago (V9.02) and it worked without any problems for me.

Last edited:
Have you tried repairing disk permissions ? Many Mac users forget to do this. I'm still on 10.6.8 so it might be different now, but that fixes many issues for me.

No need to jump on the OP for running 10.6. While I have to run the latest MacOS for development purposes, I consider 10.6 to be far superior to 10.7 (in usability and features). 10.8 fixed a few of 10.7's issues, but IMO 10.6 was the apex of OS-X so far.

I'd recommend the OP at least update to 10.6.8 before giving up (though I'd not expect the USB drivers to work under any version of 10.6 based on the explicit requirements). Personally, I don't see a requirement for the USB at all. I connect the Axe to my computer via separate audio interface MIDI interfaces (which is more flexible anyway).

Back
Top Bottom