Solved strange noise in note attack

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I thought I'd share this info just in case anyone else might be having similar issues.

I just upgraded to 16.04.1 and am redoing all my presets from scratch because I'm now using a pair of FRFR Yamaha DXR12 Powered cabs which replaced my FRFR Mackie TH-15A powered cabs and traditional Crown XLS 2000 Poweramp with Peavey 412MS cab and Marshall 1960AV cab.

I was hearing a strange noise during the attack of notes that sounded like a splatter of static or peaking the input. I finally figured out it was caused by one of the tiny springs that are around the intonation screws that are attached to each saddle on the fixed bridge. This was on my Ibanez RG421PB CNF. I repaired it by wrapping a piece of Velcro around all the springs. I do the same thing behind the nut to stop string noise.

I've had similar issues in the past with tremolo springs and the metal wire that holds the intonation screws down on some Tune-O-Matic fixed bridges. The noise I got from the Tune-O-Matic fixed bridge was more of a ringing sound.

Also, this info may be helpful if added to the Wiki: Troubleshooting / Help and answers Section: 5 Noise, distorted audio, clipping / 5.11 Initial "crashing" attack: Help and answers - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I had the same problem once. It was caused by a low fret. When the string hits the next fret it creates a bunch of white noise on the attack which then decays as the string amplitude decreases.

Interesting. What I've found works well to get the screws on my saddle to sit tight is that ptfe tape you get for thread-sealing plumbing joints! Bit fiddly but works a charm and is completely invisible if you do it right.

Interesting. What I've found works well to get the screws on my saddle to sit tight is that ptfe tape you get for thread-sealing plumbing joints! Bit fiddly but works a charm and is completely invisible if you do it right.

I've had to use Plumbers Tape / Teflon Tape on tremolo arms, so they don't have any play and can flutter easier.

Been through the Tune-O-Matic fixed bridge wire issue- having that right now on my Les Paul (I think). I've also used the Plumbers Tape on my trem arms for years with my Strats- works like a charm.

Been through the Tune-O-Matic fixed bridge wire issue- having that right now on my Les Paul (I think). I've also used the Plumbers Tape on my trem arms for years with my Strats- works like a charm.

Try putting a piece of tape across the bridge so the metal wire doesn't touch the metal bridge and vibrate. I've had to remove the wire on some really annoying bridges. I've also made new wires out of old guitar strings. Sometimes the issue isn't the metal wire and it's one of the saddles vibrating. Try slightly turning each intonation screw to see if that helps.

I'm definitely hearing every little nuance since switching to FRFR because they are pointed right at me and have a much wider spread of sound compared to a traditional guitar cab. It's almost like having headphones on. I really enjoy using FRFR because I can now easily record my exact tone and it's so much easier to replicate other guitar tones because the tones we are used to hearing are a synergy of recorded tones of a guitar, amp, cab, mic, preamp, EQ & compressor.

Back
Top Bottom