[Solved] sound quality decreases when monitoring through DAW. Normal?

jdiz86

I've had the axe fx ii for a couple weeks. I'm able to create great sounding patches, but when I am tracking in my daw (ableton live 8) the sound quality noticeably decreases as opposed to jamming straight out of the axe fx. In the daw it sounds tinny, digital, hollow... etc.

I'm using the axe fx as an interface with headphones. Latency is not a problem (6ms). I have output 2 set to usb and have all my patches ending with an fx loop in the signal chain, so I'm only hearing my guitar coming out of the daw rather than the axe fx itself (or both, which what was happening before making those modifications). I do this because I want to track with the drums I program in the daw.

Is the reduced sound quality due to using the axe fx as an interface? Is the solution to buy a third party interface that permits a higher sample rate? Something else?

I notice that if I EQ the signal in ableton, it does sound better, but I want my guitar to sound like it does when i'm not listening through my daw, which isn't happening.

Any tips on resolving this issue?

Sound like phase cancellation / comb filtering. Are you running full stereo?

the sound quality doesn't degrade.

do you have Track Monitoring on, which potentially has 2 of the same signal at the same time?

the sound quality doesn't degrade.

do you have Track Monitoring on, which potentially has 2 of the same signal at the same time?

Track Monitoring On/Off is in the I/O? I didn't notice that field. I'll see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

No, Track Monitor is a setting in the recording software

No, Track Monitor is a setting in the recording software

I hear the guitar track in ableton only when the track is armed/recording. I have never actively turned off track monitoring or whatever it is called in ableton (mac). Researching how to do this now. Something about CC value and AIC... I have much to learn, but hopefully will figure it out. It definitely sounds like a weird echo, two-signal thing still is going on.

what are your speakers physically connected to?

using the Axe as an interface, it's intended for the speakers to connect physically to the Axe. this is the intention for most, if not all, audio interfaces.

what are your speakers physically connected to?

using the Axe as an interface, it's intended for the speakers to connect physically to the Axe. this is the intention for most, if not all, audio interfaces.

I use headphones.

the axe fx front output
pretty sure your DAW is sending a duplicate signal then. try to find track monitoring - it's usually a button per track. you should be hearing your guitar all the time while playing, since the Output goes directly to headphones with or without a computer.

Update: I found the issue. I changed the usb out source to output 1, got rid of the fx loop in the chain, changed all applicable outputs to L+R Sum (some were in stereo). Then in my daw, I record in mono and, simply, just click the "off" button on the track rather than auto or channel 1. doh. sounds heavenly now. Thanks for your help.

Update: I found the issue. I changed the usb out source to output 1, got rid of the fx loop in the chain, changed all applicable outputs to L+R Sum (some were in stereo). Then in my daw, I record in mono and, simply, just click the "off" button on the track rather than auto or channel 1. doh. sounds heavenly now. Thanks for your help.
you could probably leave it in stereo, setup a stereo track in your daw, and just click the "off" button. but glad you found a solution.

Back
Top Bottom