[Solved] Someone help explain THIS mystery?

Moves

Admitted NEWBIE here for sure, but I can't figure this out:

I downloaded a killer acoustic preset, with 8 scenes, from the Preset exchange here. I made sure to save it and it shows up in my preset list. I connect directly in my FRFR and it sounds awesome. This was during practice, and I had the AX8 still connected to the PC. Again, everything saved, connected and sounding awesome. Power down, leave for gig. Get to venue, plug into board and NOTHING. No levels coming out the AX8 for this preset only. Happened twice so far.

In both instances, I was coming out of the XLR Left output. First into the FRFR monitor directly (success) then into the board (no success)

1. link us to the preset so we can see it ourselves.

2. did you have any expression pedals or MIDI devices (including computer software) connected to the AX8 at practice vs the gig?

This is the preset (amazing sounding) I am using:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/taylor-acoustic-irs.117476/page-2#post-1410037

Yes, I have a Mission pedal connected during both practice and Gig.
i'm not at my gear now, but someone else might be able to explore the preset and see what's going on.

open the Cab block and see if there is an IR actually loaded in there. if this is a Preset-Cab bundle, you might have temporarily loaded the Cab at practice, but never saved it to an actual User Cab slot.

i don't remember if Preset-Cab bundles were a thing back in 2016, or if the AX8 supports it... but that's what it sounds like to me.

if it is this, when you load the preset, AX8-Edit has a pop-up that tells you exactly what to do to keep the IR.

i don't remember if Preset-Cab bundles were a thing back in 2016, or if the AX8 supports it... but that's what it sounds like to me.
AX8 has always supported preset-cab bundles - And I think you are right. It could very well be the case.

The CAB block in this preset is set for a user cab (U14). Do you have that cab loaded in U14?

Edit: There *is* a bundled cab in the preset: Taylor 314ce - DPA 4011.syx

The CAB block in this preset is set for a user cab (U14). Do you have that cab loaded in U14?

Edit: There *is* a bundled cab in the preset: Taylor 314ce - DPA 4011.syx
cool. then the OP needs to follow the instructions that pop-up when loading that preset.

Not the problem here, but another gotcha that can lead to no sound is if you link a parameter to an external control (such as adding a volume block tied to expression pedal 1), then don't plug in an expression pedal, no sound.

My AX8 is on a pedal board with an expression pedal and 3 small pots that act as expression pedals. I use these for things like delay level, number of repeats, etc. Occasionally I remove the AX8 from the board to travel light. When I take the AX8 to a gig without the pedal board I always have to make sure I use presets that do not have parameters linked to expression pedals - as those presets produce no sound without the expression pedal input.

I dont understand...You wrote that when you plug into the FRFR at the venue you get sound? But when you go direct to FOH there is no sound? Then I don't see how it can be a problem with the preset itself?

I dont understand...You wrote that when you plug into the FRFR at the venue you get sound? But when you go direct to FOH there is no sound? Then I don't see how it can be a problem with the preset itself?
No when I was connected to my FRFR at home while demoing the preset I had sound, but when I got to venue, nothing. It was because I didn't save the IR properly.

No when I was connected to my FRFR at home while demoing the preset I had sound, but when I got to venue, nothing. It was because I didn't save the IR properly.
same happened to me the first time I imported a preset. You need to save the cabs separately. I wish they'd come up with a 1 click save and done in a future update.

Back
Top Bottom